Birthday on Board

lrowe70

We've not sailed on HAL yet, but plan to soon. The date just so happens to fall during my son's birthday.

I'm wondering does HAL have anything that I could order for him(cake, balloons, decorations...) so we can make the day as special as on land.

I was told of an Indulgences department where one could get flowers or alcohol, however my son is not old enough to drink and would not appreciate flowers.

Thanks for any advice. :)

We've not sailed on HAL yet, but plan to soon. The date just so happens to fall during my son's birthday.

I'm wondering does HAL have anything that I could order for him(cake, balloons, decorations...) so we can make the day as special as on land.

I was told of an Indulgences department where one could get flowers or alcohol, however my son is not old enough to drink and would not appreciate flowers.

Thanks for any advice. :)

If you remind them, there will be a cake in the MDR and the waiters will sing their song for him. So, no need to order a cake:D

their is a birthday package you can order but I think it is balloons and flowers. (and as you said flowers aren't appropriate).

You could either call shipboard services to see if it can be tailored or if you like, just wait til you are onboard to arrange for the balloons.

For the little room a birthday card take and the happy birthday hanging decorations, you might want to bring those with you.

My son celebrated his 4th birthday while on board. With a few gentle reminders, he received an amazing (and huge) birthday cake in the MDR. Not sure how old your son is, but Club HAL really made a big deal about it, too. In addition, we decorated our cabin and door with balloons and streamers . Grandma made him a birthday boy shirt and he received many birthday wishes from everyone that saw him. Hope this helps give you some ideas to make his day special!

• 1 month later...

i know this is an older thread (and hopefully you dont mind me hijacking it) but i didnt feel it was necessary to start another thread with almost the same question in mind. my bf will be celebrating his birthday on our upcoming eurodam trip and i was wondering if they do anything else for birthdays? id be grateful just for the cake alone but was curious if there are any other benefits to letting the staff know we are celebrating? hopefully im not coming across as greedy as i dont mean to be just curious. thanks in advance for any responses :)

If you are celebrating the birthday in the main dining room -- several of the wait staff will sing Happy Birthday when the cake it brought to your table.

If you are having dinner in one of the specialty restaurants -- make certain that they know about the birthday so that they can bring the cake to your table. No singing allowed in the specialty restaurants.

Nothing else is done. You can check HAL's site and see if you want to buy their balloons for the door or bring your own. There are a couple of other gifts offered for sale.

If you are celebrating the birthday in the main dining room -- several of the wait staff will sing Happy Birthday when the cake it brought to your table.

If you are having dinner in one of the specialty restaurants -- make certain that they know about the birthday so that they can bring the cake to your table. No singing allowed in the specialty restaurants.

Nothing else is done. You can check HAL's site and see if you want to buy their balloons for the door or bring your own. There are a couple of other gifts offered for sale.

Also not trying to start a new thread but what if it is an anniversary celebration. ? Does the same thing apply ?

I did indicate when I booked our reservation online the day on the cruise we celebrate our anniversary. Thanks for any input in advance :)

Also not trying to start a new thread but what if it is an anniversary celebration. ? Does the same thing apply ?

I did indicate when I booked our reservation online the day on the cruise we celebrate our anniversary. Thanks for any input in advance :)

Yes, the same thing applies. I would remind them just the same. The day before is always good. If you are going to the Pinnacle to celebrate your anniversary, I found their cake really beautiful on the P'dam when it was Dh's birthday. They don't sing their song (which suits DH) but they fussed around him a bit so they definitely remembered. I did find a gentle way to remind them. I just asked the manager if they sang 'the song' as dh doesn't like attention drawn to him. He assured me it would not happen and, at the same time, I guaranteed my reminder;) while making sure that Dh would be be ok:D

Yes, the same thing applies. I would remind them just the same. The day before is always good. If you are going to the Pinnacle to celebrate your anniversary, I found their cake really beautiful on the P'dam when it was Dh's birthday. They don't sing their song (which suits DH) but they fussed around him a bit so they definitely remembered. I did find a gentle way to remind them. I just asked the manager if they sang 'the song' as dh doesn't like attention drawn to him. He assured me it would not happen and, at the same time, I guaranteed my reminder;) while making sure that Dh would be be ok:D

Actually just checked my itinerary and our anniversary falls on a formal night/ sea day. Haven't planned any reservations yet but I wonder what would be the best spot to celebrate MDR, PG or Tamarind ? Totally forgot about planning for this. Thank you OP for starting this thread and thank you fellow cruisers on the all mighty CC :):)

Actually just checked my itinerary and our anniversary falls on a formal night/ sea day. Haven't planned any reservations yet but I wonder what would be the best spot to celebrate MDR, PG or Tamarind ? Totally forgot about planning for this. Thank you OP for starting this thread and thank you fellow cruisers on the all mighty CC :):)

Thebes - we enjoy formal nights in the MDR - but if it's a special occasion then we tend to head to the PG. The Tamarind is great too - but because we now tend to head to the smaller ships it is not available. I think for a special occasion I would opt for the Pinnacle or alternatively go to the MDR to enjoy the formal night and celebrate the special occasion on the night before or after :D

If we are on a ship when a birthday happens -- always for DH and our anniversary -- my birthday is during hurricane season and we won't sail then -- we always go to a specialty restaurant. We do not find HAL's formal night dinners that great.

We were on the Westerdam one year for DH's birthday.

For days the staff in the Pinnacle kept mentioning about DH having a birthday soon.

The actual night of his birthday -- NOTHING!!

We were on the Westerdam one year for DH's birthday.

For days the staff in the Pinnacle kept mentioning about DH having a birthday soon.

The actual night of his birthday -- NOTHING!!

what a shame KK - we got the most beautiful cake on the Prinsendam. Nothing compared to what is offered in the MDR ;) It was incredible and enough chocolate decorations that even RuthC would have been happy;)

I would go to The Pinnacle (or Tamarind if you're on a ship that has that restaurant). The food is better, ditto for the service, and the atmosphere makes it special.

I agree. :)

We have celebrated many birthdays and anniversaries on the ships and they are always special in one way or another. :) Crew has been very kind in find new and creative ways to make our day that little bit more special. :)

This thread brings up a good question. I will be on an Alaskan cruise and will be over my birthday. What do they do for adults? I am such and introvert, I hate having people stand around me singing at me. Obviously I speak with the Matre 'd on that one.

Archived