First Time Cruiser Just Off Jewel--Ask Me Anything

Just got off the Jewel also. Absolutely loved everything about it. Didn't find it crowded at all. Food was great. Ports were fantastic. Not enough time to do everything we wanted to do. The crew were all friendly and helpful. Can't say enough good about the Jewel.

It was our first time ziplining also, so I did quite a bit of research on the Ports of Call boards and then on Trip Advisor. We picked Treetop on St. Lucia based on the really good reviews they received. We all had an awesome time. There was another family in our group that had been ziplining on several different islands including St. Martin on this cruise, they said that this was the best course they had been on (most lines, good equipment, etc.) Can't comment on St. Kitts because I didn't talk to anyone that did it there.

We did a B2B on Jewel in May for the repo cruise from Tampa to San Juan and then the second week out of San Juan. Absolutely loved that ship. We had been on Serenade many times and also on Radiance, so had no doubt that we would love Jewel also and we did. Staff was amazing, enjoyed the bulk of the shows, food was very good. Had no issues at all, just a great 2 weeks.

Question for Cruizeblues

Doing the same itinerary in 3 weeks, but ziplining in St. Kitts and going on Island tour in St. Lucia. I have never ziplinned before, will it be a let down in St. Kitts? Thanks

I'll be interested in hearing back from you after your cruise on the zipline ... we have the St. Kitts zipline booked for December.

Looking forward to my upcoming cruise on the JOS. Since May, I have researched every port of call on our itinerary here on CC. Without the forums here on CC, I don't think I could have planned, what I believe, is an exciting vacation for my DW and I. If all of the reviews and research I read was wrong, I would still have a great time. Anytime I can spend 24 hours a day with my DW, is all I need in a vacation. Vacations are not where you go or what you see or eat, it is what you make it. I have chose to make it a wonderful, memorable time. I could care less if the chicken is cold, or the shows are a little lame, or there are too many kids in the pool. All I need to do is thank the good Lord what I lucky guy I am that I can spend this time with one I love. In return for all the helpful information I've received on these forums, I pledge, upon my return, to give my opinion on what we did. Hopefully, I will be able to upload photos. I know there are folks out there, like me, that loves to read the reviews and plan for their upcoming vacations.

P.S - This is my 2nd cruise. First one was on Carnival (Honeymoon). And yes, I had a great time! It was the company I had with me :D

Wow Ozark...the world would be a much nicer place if there were more people with your attitude!! :) Enjoy your cruise and the time spent with your DW! Like you, I also treasure every moment that I can spend on vacation with my family. Tough to have a bad time when you are in the Caribbean with the ones you love :)

Looking forward to my upcoming cruise on the JOS. Since May, I have researched every port of call on our itinerary here on CC. Without the forums here on CC, I don't think I could have planned, what I believe, is an exciting vacation for my DW and I. If all of the reviews and research I read was wrong, I would still have a great time. Anytime I can spend 24 hours a day with my DW, is all I need in a vacation. Vacations are not where you go or what you see or eat, it is what you make it. I have chose to make it a wonderful, memorable time. I could care less if the chicken is cold, or the shows are a little lame, or there are too many kids in the pool. All I need to do is thank the good Lord what I lucky guy I am that I can spend this time with one I love. In return for all the helpful information I've received on these forums, I pledge, upon my return, to give my opinion on what we did. Hopefully, I will be able to upload photos. I know there are folks out there, like me, that loves to read the reviews and plan for their upcoming vacations.

P.S - This is my 2nd cruise. First one was on Carnival (Honeymoon). And yes, I had a great time! It was the company I had with me :D

I agree! We will be on the Jewel leaving August 31st for two weeks. Two weeks with my wonderful Bride. Rain, shine, cold chicken, long lines...I don't really care all that much. God will give me what he wants me to have, and it will be great, I am sure.

I agree! We will be on the Jewel leaving August 31st for two weeks. Two weeks with my wonderful Bride. Rain, shine, cold chicken, long lines...I don't really care all that much. God will give me what he wants me to have, and it will be great, I am sure.

Bless you. Every day with God and with your new bride will be amazing, I'm sure. Have fun!!

Rules? Not sure what you mean, please explain.

The kids pool slide is only open from 4pm-6pm (didn't matter to me, but really?). Dress code at dinner. A million departure rules. No mixing your own lemonade and ice tea. No filling water bottles. Check out an in every towel. Return your towel by 10pm.

Too much time on the ship? There was only one sea day.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

But you are on the ship from at least 5pm to 8am every day, plus the one sea day. That was too much for me over 7 days. (And perhaps my own fault, we usually came back to the boat at about 2pm).

The kids pool slide is only open from 4pm-6pm (didn't matter to me, but really?). Dress code at dinner. A million departure rules. No mixing your own lemonade and ice tea. No filling water bottles. Check out an in every towel. Return your towel by 10pm.

Trust me, this is the way it is on all lines, on all ships, to one degree or another. There are reasons for every single thing you mentioned. Sorry you felt it was so restrictive. Perhaps cruising isn't for you. :)

Can you elaborate on too much time on the ship? 5 islands seems like a very port intensive cruise. Did you get off the ship in every port?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes, but in St. Martin we just walked around the shopping area, and same in Antigua. I probably should have done beach/excursion in every port.

Wow.

Everything costs extra? I don't think so, but what do you mean specifically?

And rules? Perhaps to ensure the health and safety of all guests? But do elaborate because it's interesting you would say that.

On the costs, I am thinking of: alcohol, soda, spa, some exercise classes, the specialty dining rooms, specialty menu items, other activities (crafty things). You are right--not everything. But they are trying to up-sell you on more stuff while you are on the ship. The exercise classes and activities with a fee stood out.Forgot to add: a crew member told us there would be a fee to see the nurse because she only came on duty at 4pm; also the luggage guys looking for a tip when you are not allowed to bring your own luggage on board.

On the costs, I am thinking of: alcohol, soda, spa, some exercise classes, the specialty dining rooms, specialty menu items, other activities (crafty things). You are right--not everything. But they are trying to up-sell you on more stuff while you are on the ship. The exercise classes and activities with a fee stood out.Forgot to add: a crew member told us there would be a fee to see the nurse because she only came on duty at 4pm; also the luggage guys looking for a tip when you are not allowed to bring your own luggage on board.

Hmm.....well, this is true for all ships except maybe Seabourn or something where the cost is like $8000 for one week. I was on the Jewel in April and no one tried to upsell me anything, the only things on my Seapass pass were my tips and I ordered a Pina Colada at sailaway. When you go to the doctor's office at home, isn't there a cost to that, even if your insurance ultimately pays for it? Also, the porters (luggage guys) work for the port, not Royal Caribbean. Tipping them is optional although of course, they want tips. It seems like someone told you the cruise was all inclusive?? Or did you just assume it was?? I wish you had joined earlier and read some of the boards, you would have had a better idea what to expect. Oh, well, live and learn. Do you think you will cruise again? You seem like you would prefer an all inclusive like Sandals or something. :)

Hello Jewel, Thanks for posting, it;s a shame it wasn't all you thought it would be but please don't give up on the idea of cruising in the future, we've had fabulous cruises, I suppose though it's horses for courses, we've been on transatlantic cruises with 8 solid days at sea and loved them. Anyway, a question for you (or any other Jewel past cruisers), we are doing a B2B in March, do you know if the headliner acts change each week as I know the production shows will remain the same.

Archived