2 cabin question regarding switching occupants

gwb3636

OK - here is what I hope is ok to do. Please confirm.

1. Book a cabin in my name and DIL to qualify for best rate

2. Book a cabin in husband's name and son to qualify for best rate

3. Claim each room with our 100 (only shares of Carnival stock) for $100 for each room OBC

But the question is this - do I then legally go to the purser's desk and switch so my son and wife are in the same room? They would not qualify for the stock OBC or the special rate I can get otherwise. Or is this not legal to do?

we just got of fascination with 18 of us mother-in-law put 1 person who has cruised in each cabin to get discount then when we got on we switched rooms they didn't say anything about it to us but be careful we did all the switching and things got messed up with the sail an sign accounts and gratuities so just check them often have fun

It looks like all the knowledgeable people are not posting right now. I don't know what the 'rules' are. What I would do is check in just as you booked. After getting on the ship, go to the pursers office and ask for an extra key card to each room. Since all 4 are traveling together, I really don't think it matters to Carnival who sleeps in which room. I seriously doubt they would take away your credits if you changed where people were sleeping, but I don't know that for certain. I've never done this. I have had 2 cabins and got extra key cards with no problem. Regardless, have a fabulous cruise.:D:D

We did this on my first cruise but we didn't have to worry about the stock just the past guest rate. I was booked in my mothers room, my husband in my father in laws room. When we got on the boat we went to pursers desk and switched. They have us new cards for the the new rooms with the correct sail and sign account info. They didn't bat an eye at it. My understanding is it happens all the time.

If each person had an individual sail and sign account (each used their own credit card), you wouldn't even have to worry about the charges and gratuities getting confused when you switch cabins. The only result would be two charges (his and hers) on each couple's credit card.

3. Claim each room with our 100 (only shares of Carnival stock) for $100 for each room OBC

But the question is this - do I then legally go to the purser's desk and switch so my son and wife are in the same room? They would not qualify for the stock OBC or the special rate I can get otherwise. Or is this not legal to do?

Only one of you can claim the stockholder obc unless you each own 100 shares...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Oh - I did not know that - I know you can use the stock OBC for every cruise you go on - so I just thought this would count as 2 cruises because of 2 booked cabins - so what you are saying is if it is the same cruise you can only use it once but if you went on a cruise 2 weeks in a row you could use it again - just once per cruise - not once per booked cabin

Oh - I did not know that - I know you can use the stock OBC for every cruise you go on - so I just thought this would count as 2 cruises because of 2 booked cabins - so what you are saying is if it is the same cruise you can only use it once but if you went on a cruise 2 weeks in a row you could use it again - just once per cruise - not once per booked cabin

If your wife also owns 100 shares of CCL, she would be able to use it for her cabin.

You cannot use the 100 shares you own to get OBC for your cabin and also your wife's cabin.

We did this on my first cruise but we didn't have to worry about the stock just the past guest rate. I was booked in my mothers room, my husband in my father in laws room. When we got on the boat we went to pursers desk and switched. They have us new cards for the the new rooms with the correct sail and sign account info. They didn't bat an eye at it. My understanding is it happens all the time.

Great this sounds like the best option or simply leaving as is and making sure each person has their credit card for the set/sail account. Might have to explain to steward since they call you by name or whatever.

We have done this exact same thing for two cruises, once with b-i-l and s-i-l and once with friends. Upon embarkation, we all went to Guest services and had our keys reassigned so DH and I shared one room and in-laws/friends shared another. My husband's stock OBC stayed with his Sail & Sign account. It was so nice starting the cruises with double OBC.

Not true. As long as the stocks are held jointly, both people qualify as long as they book separate cabins. Doesn't matter that they switch rooms after they embark.

Not true. As long as the stocks are held jointly, both people qualify as long as they book separate cabins. Doesn't matter that they switch rooms after they embark.

Interesting. We only got credit for one as we were told we can't use the same 100 shares on 2 different cabins the same cruise. I'll have to press harder next time if that's the case.

Interesting. We only got credit for one as we were told we can't use the same 100 shares on 2 different cabins the same cruise. I'll have to press harder next time if that's the case.

I booked the cruises with DH in one cabin and me in another. Then DH faxed our stock statement using my name and booking number. Then he faxed the stock statement using his name and booking number. We never talked to anyone about it, we just acted. Ta da! Two OBCs.

305-406-6477

name

booking #

ship

sailing date

att: guest services admin supervisor

I booked the cruises with DH in one cabin and me in another. Then DH faxed our stock statement using my name and booking number. Then he faxed the stock statement using his name and booking number. We never talked to anyone about it, we just acted. Ta da! Two OBCs.

305-406-6477

name

booking #

ship

sailing date

att: guest services admin supervisor

Very interesting. On the other hand if you own 200 shares in a joint account - would you then be able to book 2 cabins - and get the OBC in each one without any problem? I know if you own more than 100 shares you can only get the OBC once for the same cabin regardless of how many shares you own.

Very interesting. On the other hand if you own 200 shares in a joint account - would you then be able to book 2 cabins - and get the OBC in each one without any problem? I know if you own more than 100 shares you can only get the OBC once for the same cabin regardless of how many shares you own.

That's what she did with only 100 shares. Worth a shot!

I did not encounter any problem the two times we sent in our statement for stock obc.

I don't understand why owning 200 shares jointly is any benefit to owning 100 shares jointly.

On our cruise I booked my father (non-platinum) and myself (platinum) in one room and my actual cabinmate (platinum)in a room with my father's actual cabinmate (Russ-non- platinum). This way all od us could board platinum ( my dad was 84 and I didn'T want him to have to stand in line). Once on board both Russ and myself just went to the purser's desk and got a separate KEY card for the other room.

The only problems were that they delivered my platinum stuff to my Dad's room and not mine and I had to go to his room to view my s&s card account. But it really wasn't a big deal. Everyone ended up with the correct cabinmate and no hassles from the pursers desk.

We have 200 shares of stock. 100 in my name (primarily w/my husband's name added) and 100 in my husband's name only. We had two rooms. My husband and I were listed in different rooms. On our July Baltic trip one stock credit was applied to one room only, ignoring the other room's stock. We called our PVP to complain, and he was able to get it added to both. I think our problem was that my husband's name was on the stock, even though it was in my name primarily. In the end we did get the OBC for both rooms.

We then simply got an extra key, which was great because then we had keys for both rooms.

I do not believe it is fair to get OBC for both rooms if you only have 100 shares. IMHO

I've found different ships to want you to do different things. On one ship we were officially switched. On the next we were just issued blue keys for the other room. On this past journey, I just asked for the blue keys, but later in the cruise, when I called about something, they said they would have preferred we had "officially" changed the names due to safety.

Never had to deal with the stock OBC since I don't have any, but we book cabins with one rate qualified person in each cabin to get the rate. Once onboard, we gather up the room keys and head to the passenger services. They gladly switch everybody around and give new keys. Then, a day or so later, everyone goes and updates their CC information so at the end of the cruise all of the bills are properly charged. We have done this on several lines so I would assume it is the same everywhere. I know carnival is great in dealing with this.

We did this for three cabins last November. Three Past Guests and three first timers. After we boarded the people who needed to switch went to Guest Services and got new key cards.

The people who were in the wrong cabins made sure the luggage went to the cabins they were switching to so they wouldn't have to drag it around.

There was no OBC involved but my mother arranged to pay for everyone's tips, we had the cabin and booking numbers for that.

We have done this exact same thing for two cruises, once with b-i-l and s-i-l and once with friends. Upon embarkation, we all went to Guest services and had our keys reassigned so DH and I shared one room and in-laws/friends shared another. My husband's stock OBC stayed with his Sail & Sign account. It was so nice starting the cruises with double OBC.

Not true. Before we purchased the second 100, on 2 (or maybe) 3 cruises, my husband and I booked different rooms, but we're only permitted one OBC since we only had 100. We felt that was fair, so we just picked up another 100 in just one name.

Since you experienced something different, I'm thinking it was just am error. Heck, as I stated, we even had some trouble with 200 shares!

It is a nice little perk. I do think 100 is good for 7 or 8 day cruises, but our 12 night one should have been more than 100.

Not true. Before we purchased the second 100, on 2 (or maybe) 3 cruises, my husband and I booked different rooms, but we're only permitted one OBC since we only had 100. We felt that was fair, so we just picked up another 100 in just one name.

Since you experienced something different, I'm thinking it was just am error. Heck, as I stated, we even had some trouble with 200 shares!

It is a nice little perk. I do think 100 is good for 7 or 8 day cruises, but our 12 night one should have been more than 100.

We've done so for two cruises so far with no issues. We did all the work ourselves; we did not involve our PVP.

As previously stated, DH faxed our stock statement with my booking info for my cabin, then he faxed our stock statement with his booking info for his cabin. We received two emails stating that the OBCs were credited to our separate bookings. When we switched rooms with our friends and had our S&S cards reassigned at Guest Services, DH's OBC stayed on his account.

We've done so for two cruises so far with no issues. We did all the work ourselves; we did not involve our PVP.

As previously stated, DH faxed our stock statement with my booking info for my cabin, then he faxed our stock statement with his booking info for his cabin. We received two emails stating that the OBCs were credited to our separate bookings. When we switched rooms with our friends and had our S&S cards reassigned at Guest Services, DH's OBC stayed on his account.

Ok - I appreciate all the responses. Bottom line - no problem to book 2 cabins to get the best rate Carnival offers and switch cabins - this is all legit. And regarding the stock whether you book online or through a TA just email or fax your proof of stock yourself and you will get OBC for each cabin booked with no hassle (in my opinion what difference does it make if you book 2 cabins on one cruise or 1 cabin on two cruises). So there is apparently no need to purchase 200 shares individually unless you want to invest more in Carnival for dividends and the stock increasing in value. On the other hand IF you did want to purchase more than 100 shares and travel mainly with adult children and spouses you could add their name to the stock. Example - you and husband each book a room and get the $100 - your 2 adult kids each book a room - and each room gets the $100 credit (thus a total of 4 cabins)- and everyone switches according to their needs/children/friends or whatever. So just something to keep in mind if your family and friends travel a lot with Carnival and really like their stock.

Ok - I appreciate all the responses. Bottom line - no problem to book 2 cabins to get the best rate Carnival offers and switch cabins - this is all legit. And regarding the stock whether you book online or through a TA just email or fax your proof of stock yourself and you will get OBC for each cabin booked with no hassle (in my opinion what difference does it make if you book 2 cabins on one cruise or 1 cabin on two cruises). So there is apparently no need to purchase 200 shares individually unless you want to invest more in Carnival for dividends and the stock increasing in value. On the other hand IF you did want to purchase more than 100 shares and travel mainly with adult children and spouses you could add their name to the stock. Example - you and husband each book a room and get the $100 - your 2 adult kids each book a room - and each room gets the $100 credit (thus a total of 4 cabins)- and everyone switches according to their needs/children/friends or whatever. So just something to keep in mind if your family and friends travel a lot with Carnival and really like their stock.

Basically, yes.

Seems we have quite a few cruisers who have done the two cabin then switching thing. I'm going to ask a question but it's not about OBC. We booked two rooms for my family of 5 for two reasons. Our kids are 15, 14, and 14 and very responsible. But we had to book one adult in with them. So here's the question. My wife is a non drinker, I mean she does not drink any alcoholic bevarages. We booked her in an inside across the hall with 2 of our kids and me in the balcony cabin with our other child. The plan is for us to have the balcony room and the kids to have the inside across the hall. But I'm also wanting to purchase the cheers plan for just me. Do I need to wait until after I've purchased the cheers plan to have the rooms changed or would it be best to just go get the extra room keys?

Thanks!

Seems we have quite a few cruisers who have done the two cabin then switching thing. I'm going to ask a question but it's not about OBC. We booked two rooms for my family of 5 for two reasons. Our kids are 15, 14, and 14 and very responsible. But we had to book one adult in with them. So here's the question. My wife is a non drinker, I mean she does not drink any alcoholic bevarages. We booked her in an inside across the hall with 2 of our kids and me in the balcony cabin with our other child. The plan is for us to have the balcony room and the kids to have the inside across the hall. But I'm also wanting to purchase the cheers plan for just me. Do I need to wait until after I've purchased the cheers plan to have the rooms changed or would it be best to just go get the extra room keys?

Thanks!

I believe the best thing to do is to purchase Cheers first, then go to Guest Services to have the mag strips on the S&S cards reassigned.

Archived