Hotels/ places to stay near or in Southampton

dillie

Hi I was wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere to stay in or near southampton the night before cruise?. Just so travelling is a bit easier. Looking to book a hotel or guest house for three adults & one person uses a wheelchair. So a ground floor room would be ok probably a family room would be ok too. Thanks Dillie

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am sure that many UK residents can recommend numerous places.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn - right at the entryway to the docki. It was a large, typical HI. We were very comfortable - had a bar/restaurant.

I don't think you could get any closer to the pier! Parking was included. We did see people checking out and walking to the ship. You could, however, drive or take a taxi.

The hotel did have an elevator - but also had some ground floor rooms.

We stayed at the premier inn at west quay :) didn't have ground floor rooms but it had lifts. Great place to stop as west quay shopping centre is just across the road so if you feel like having a look round there you can:) plus its not long away from the train station and the port ! We just got a taxi from the premier inn to the port :)

As 1998 mentions, Holiday Inn (Herbert Walker Ave) is right by dock gate 8, & about 300 yards from Indy's berth, City cruise terminal. Not the best Holiday Inn, it could do with a refurb, but very popular with cruisers, ideal location, great views (front for Southampton Water, rear for ship/terminal), & the best breakfasts in the city.

Premier Inn West Quay (usually cheaper) & the Grand Harbour Hotel (more expensive) are also easily walkable with rolling luggage, don't know about with a wheelchair but from Premier Inn cutting thro Hol Inn carpark isn't an option with a wheelchair.

On the map at the bottom of this link, City cruise terminal is closer to Hol Inn than shown, but the map gives you a general idea of locations of all convenient hotels, terminals & coach/rail stations.. All should be OK with a wheelchair, except the boutiques & the Dolphin which are historic buildings. And all are tolerably handy for city centre facilities.

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

A taxi from any of them will cost no more than £8, I think all Southampton hackney cabs are wheelchair friendly, but mention the wheelchair if you/the hotel call for a private hire cab.

There are several well-recommended B&Bs/Guesthouses, but they are in a residential neighbourhood some distance from the port & city centre, as well as the complications with a wheelchair.

If you're travelling down by car, your options extend beyond the city centre & many hotels offer cruise-long parking deals & transfers. Post again for more details.

JB :)

There is also the Novotel, Grand Harbour (very expensive) and the Ibis. The Novotel is much better than the Ibis and all have wheelchair accessible rooms but not on the ground floor and all have lifts. I prefer Novotel as the rooms are slightly more upmarket to the Ibis. The restaurant at the Novotel is much better than the Ibis.

Each hotel will call you a taxi on departure day if you dont have a car yourself.

Hello everyone, thank you so much for all your replies. Well tried all hotels in southampton there was no rooms suitable unfortunately. Eventually found somewhere. We're staying at Days Inn at fleet services. At least it'll half our journey. Thanks again everyone.

I have been looking on Booking.Com at the Premier Inn, West Quay for next July and lots of dates say no rooms available. ( I am waiting to see what will be available for next August). Any idea why that would be?

it may be too early - try the premier inn west quay website now and later on -

we had a lovely 5 night stay there - some of the best food

for breakfast & dinner that we had during our 16 days on land -

the salmon in bernaise sauce the best ever tasted !;)

I would also recommend Premier Inn West Quay, best to book direct on their website as booking agents don't always have upto date figures.

I wouldn't book anywhere else :)

Thanks-- I did go to their website and was able to book the dates we need for August 2014 and had no problems using our US credit card.

Archived