yet another question- smart dress, jacket

fragilek

Ok I know I said that my last last question would be it - but I have now come across a 3rd dress cat that was not on the other cruise I have done,

What is the smart jacket required dress code. Does that mean my DH would have to wear a jacket in the mdr and in the bars etc that evening, or can he just wear the jacket into the mdr and then take it off while eating or after diner - He is away too hot and nearly passed out wearing his kilt to the last black tie do we went to.

On that note is a kilt ok for the black tie nights (that's what we would wear to any black tie events at home).

What do women wear to the smart nights- are dresses/ skirts and tops that you would wear to a smart summer lunch OK or is it more formal wedding guest type dresses.

Like wise for black tie is evening cocktail (long/calf length) dresses ok or are full ball gowns required.

Will shoes be important - I am disabled and can just about manage to walk (with sticks) in my flat shoes- fancy heels are a no go unless I stay in my wheelchair which I would rather not do for the whole night but at the same time, I would hate to think that people were going to discuss my lack of appropriate footwear on here at a later date :D

Jackets will be required in the mdr on Smart - Jacket required nights and also in some bars but not all. It is certainly not unkown for some men to remove their jackets if feeling over-warm. A Dress Kilt outfit is absolutely acceptable. My partner loved wearing his full kilt rig on formal nights and always garnered admiring looks.

Ladies wear as you have described below will be fine too. Ball Gowns are I feel now a rarity - for fly-cruises particularly. You will see a wide variety of outfits on a P&O Caribbean itinerary with some dressing down a bit and others dolling up to the nines for a casual evening so I am sure you will be fine from reading your post.

In respect of shoes, wear what you like as long as they are comfortable and not scruffy! No-one will bat an eyelid. Relax and enjoy.

1. Why on earth would anyone waste time criticising your shoes? They'd have to be very small-minded old cats to do that. I doubt it would happen.

2. If a bunch of small-minded cross old cats do criticise your footwear, why would you care?

It's very hard to fail the dress code if you're a woman. As long as your clothes aren't "stylishly ripped" (sic) or made of denim, you're pretty much OK - even on formal nights, separate tops and trousers are fine. As for your husband, I know from experience that he can take his jacket off just about anywhere, including while eating dinner and in the bars. If anyone wants to make a fuss (which I've never known happen): if it's a member of the crew, he can always say he was feeling a little faint with the heat and needed to cool down, but he'll give it another try if they think it's important; if it's another passenger, he doesn't need to say anything. He can always faint over the other passenger's table if he's feeling mischievous. ;)

On our recent cruise on the Oriana, gentlemen had to wear a jacket in the MDR and the selected bars on Smart nights and were asked to put them back on if they took them off. Saw no trouble as everyone complied. It wasn't hot though.

Shoes will be absolutely no problem for you.

Also, although I saw some full length ball gowns (which looked beautiful) the majority of us ladies were in shorter dresses, cocktail type. Saw a lady in a very nice suit too. I wore a mid calf length dress on Black Tie nights. It's dress up time and yes of course a Scotsman may wear his full attire.

For ladies on Smart nights, a nice dress or seperates is just fine. I wore a dress slightly below the knee that I would wear for a smart lunch.

Ok I know I said that my last last question would be it - but I have now come across a 3rd dress cat that was not on the other cruise I have done,

What is the smart jacket required dress code. Does that mean my DH would have to wear a jacket in the mdr and in the bars etc that evening, or can he just wear the jacket into the mdr and then take it off while eating or after diner - He is away too hot and nearly passed out wearing his kilt to the last black tie do we went to.

On that note is a kilt ok for the black tie nights (that's what we would wear to any black tie events at home).

What do women wear to the smart nights- are dresses/ skirts and tops that you would wear to a smart summer lunch OK or is it more formal wedding guest type dresses.

Like wise for black tie is evening cocktail (long/calf length) dresses ok or are full ball gowns required.

Will shoes be important - I am disabled and can just about manage to walk (with sticks) in my flat shoes- fancy heels are a no go unless I stay in my wheelchair which I would rather not do for the whole night but at the same time, I would hate to think that people were going to discuss my lack of appropriate footwear on here at a later date :D

I am also disabled and use a scooter. On all nights I wear sandals as that's all I can walk in. It is fun to wear light brown sandals with my DJ. I have managed to getaway pair of black ones now from the hospital so I will wear them now with black socks. No one has said a word in the 7 years I have had to do this.

On jackets I have recently bought 2 new jackets, one striped and the other pink. They will be in us on our next cruise.

You can tell I am the shy type.:D

BTW

Your other half could wear the kilt every night with different tops. Save a lot of packing. :)

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

Archived