Cribs on Princess?

giselleacttwo

Was wondering if anyone else has used the Princess-provided cribs and if they would fit a 2 year old? I know they are typically smaller than full size. We plan to bring bedding from home. Our other option is a pack and play, but honestly don't know if that would fit in a standard balcony. :confused:

It also depends on the size of your child. If your child is big for their age it might be tight. We used it for my 2 YO DGS and it was fine. I get a knock on my door. The room steward is there with a crib. Umm, I don't have a baby. He says your daughter told me to bring you one so you could babysit :rolleyes:. Oh ok. Every morning he "made" up the bed and did turn down service at night including the chocolate. It was very cute. We brought our own sheets and they used the regular bed blankets.

We sailed with our 3 and 1-1/2 year old granddaughters on the Grand Princess in May. They sailed with our son an DDIL in an inside cabin across the hall from our mini-suite.

We reserved a crib for the younger girl. What Princess calls a crib is a "Pack 'n Play." We put the desk chair and small table in our cabin, but it was still a tight fit in our son's cabin. You will have more room in a balcony cabin.

My DDIL brought a swim noodle and used that to help the 3-year-old stay in a regular bed. Maybe that would work for you.

We did Alaska on the Star this past July and a pack and play was provided. We brought our own crib sheets but the room steward also put down fresh sheets daily. We placed the pack and play in the closet area and it worked like a mini-cabin. We placed a black-out drape over the closet rung and were then able to use lights, etc. as necessary.

Be sure to place your request well in advance of sailing.

msk1

We did Alaska on the Star this past July and a pack and play was provided. We brought our own crib sheets but the room steward also put down fresh sheets daily. We placed the pack and play in the closet area and it worked like a mini-cabin. We placed a black-out drape over the closet rung and were then able to use lights, etc. as necessary.

Be sure to place your request well in advance of sailing.

msk1

Yep, we did the same, it fit snuggly in the closet area.

You can buy magnetic hooks on amazon and stick them too the ceiling with a dark shower curtain for a drape. Jackets would work also for additional darkness.

We had brought a sheet for a crib mattress which was too big for the pak and play, in the future, we'll know to bring one more appropriately sized.

Excellent advice, thank you all. I'll plan on bringing my own pack n play sheets and a drape or shower curtain of some kind. I've already placed the request for it, so we should be good to go. I like the idea of putting it in the closet area, too.

Before you get settled, we had put the pack n play together, IN THE CLOSET AREA, its a little to wide to do so in the cabin and then try to get it down the hall and around the corner...

We may be going through something similar when we cruise next July with our then 22 month old grandson. With the talk of fitting a pack n play in the closet I'm not sure if you're talking about walk in closets or ?

Anyone know if there's room for a pack n play to fit in closet on the Golden Princess B2 (Balcony) cabin?

I'm glad they use pack n plays rather than cribs where he's less likely to crawl out.

The closet is an open one that is also a dressing area. It's the width of the cabin (minus the hallway) and quite deep. Even storing luggage or a pack 'n play, there'll still be plenty of room for your clothes. Here's another view of the closet area:

ImageUploadedByForums1378309170.097584.jpg.ae27398131544dba3e5c093b07032117.jpg

The pack n play extends beyond the edge of the closet by an inch or two if put the long way. If I recall, it looked like you could wedge it in the back of the closet between the closet wall and the cabinet with the safe, but it would be harder to get your child out if s/he were in the far corner. Eitherway, you dont loose that much closet space, and what you do lose, you can make up for by putting things up on an upper berth since you won't be using at least 1 if you have a baby. Thats where we put all of our daughters clothes, play mat, child backpack, carseat, etc etc etc. I think the steward liked it because we got all the junk up off the floor. Dirty laundry fits nicely under the pack n play :)

Thanks for the great tips everyone. For those that have done the pack n play in the closet, are you still able to access/open the cupboard with the safe in it? I realize I'll be losing most of my closet space, but I'm hoping not to lose the cupboard too.

It depeneds on where the pack n play is situated. If its closer to the hallway, there is no problem. If its in the back of the closet you can open the cabinet most of the way.

• 2 years later...

I have been so worried about this so am feeling a little better taking our 12 month old on the Sapphire Princess this January. Just wondering for those who have placed the crib in the closet - how did you go getting in & out of the bathroom without waking the baby? Thanks

• 10 months later...

At what point in the process was the availability of a crib/pack-n-play confirmed to you? I had my travel agent request one, and I certainly can have him call to check again, but according to these boards, you can never believe what Princess tells you on the phone. Did the crib ever show up in your Cruise Personalizer anywhere?

Finally, if it's a pack-n-play, did you notice a weight limit or anything like that?

Thank you -- trying to convince myself we won't need to bring our own on a European cruise on the Royal Princess!

I don't remember it showing up in the personalizer but I'm not sure I ever looked either. However, in my case my daughter needed one for her kid. She asked Stewart and he quickly got one and set it up for her. Not an hour later there was a knock on my door and there was Stewart again. He had another crib in his hand. Why? She says "mom, you want to spend time with your grandson don't you". Ummm, I guess so.

I would however make that your priority when you board. Just in case others are wanting the same thing and want to be first in line. It was what I used to call a playpen. Close to the floor with sides. I would bring your own sheets and blankets because they use the same ones for the baby as they do for adults. You want the softness and smell for baby. I don't remember a weight limit but it is for a normal toddler sized kid. It is small so if the kid is big he may not fit comfortably.

Regarding putting you child in the closet. You must have a mini suite or suite. For the mini you closest has no door and run along the "hallway" towards your drawers, safe and the door to the bathroom is across from the closet. The crib just pushes into the closet. You are separated by light and sound. You could always drape a blanket over the rod and have it flow over the crib. You clearly need to be quiet no matter what but once they flush that toilet, if the kid can sleep through that no worries about the sound. It isn't like you are spending hours getting in and out. It is only about 2-3 steps.