Breakaway almost leaves 2 people in Bermuda (8/11 cruise)

BrPanthers99

Good point! They specifically have children's programming for parents to do their own thing such as explore the port. People need to stop judging this couple. You don't know what happened and if it was out of the couple's control or not. And -- we even have reports here that they didn't have kids -- so it could have been a false rumor created on board!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think children's programming was designed by NCL to allow parents to do their own thing OFF the ship, unless other relatives are aboard, and I hope parents are not foolhardy enough to risk it. I'm sure there are rules against this. If said parents were to end up in hospital due to accident, I'm not sure NCl would just sail back to home port with these kids. They would probably be taken off ship and handed off to their equivalent of DCF until other relatives arrive.

But, this whole conversation is really pointless because we have no real facts to indicate that these two even had kids.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think children's programming was designed by NCL to allow parents to do their own thing OFF the ship, unless other relatives are aboard, and I hope parents are not foolhardy enough to risk it. I'm sure there are rules against this. If said parents were to end up in hospital due to accident, I'm not sure NCl would just sail back to home port with these kids. They would probably be taken off ship and handed off to their equivalent of DCF until other relatives arrive.

But, this whole conversation is really pointless because we have no real facts to indicate that these two even had kids.

As far as I know, you are not supposed to leave your kids onboard when you are not there. Regardless if the other 2 cruisers had kids or not, no one should leave their kids onboard without a parent or grandparent.

I'm not sure if it was an NCL thread or a Carnival thread....about going on shore and leaving the kids on the ship. Lots of people do it without giving it a second thought.

The conversation may be pointless in this case, but it's not a pointless conversation.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think children's programming was designed by NCL to allow parents to do their own thing OFF the ship,

1 answer

can my kids stay in kids club while we explore bermuda

6 months ago

top_1_contributor_icon.gif

Answer:

Yes. NCL has a program called Port Play. You can drop your kids at the kids club while you go on shore excursions.

6 months ago

But I do agree that we don't have the facts nor do we know if they even had kids onboard.

Harriet

Well, I did say correct me if I'm wrong. Never heard of the Port Play program, but to me, way too risky to do this. I'm surprised NCL offers it. At least they know these parents are off the ship without the kids if they don'tnreturn for sail away. Is the regular kids club closed on port days? Can you tell I cruise without little ones?

I was on the 8/11 cruise and although I did not personally see this, my father & mother did. I was enjoying my balcony :-)

Everyone was to be on board at 4:30. We pulled out around 5pm after the Celebrity Summit left. Just as we pulled off, a man and women got out of a taxi. Upon seeing the boat leaving, the women fell to her knees. Hundreds of people started yelling "run, run run" as they started running down the dock. Then everyone was yelling "swim, swim, swim" The boat continued to leave but they were lucky enough that the loan tugboat allowed them to jump in and were taken on board the Breakaway.

I found out the next day apparently they had 2 kids on board alright. Not the smartest thing.

NEVER BE LATE!!!

wow, I wonder the ages of their kids and why they were not with their parents? I am guessing they were teens. When our grandkids were teens we cruised with the family and did leave the kids to do their own thing one tour.

We also thought we were going to miss the ship once, (not the time we left the kids behind) so we have learned: if you are going to do a shore excursion make sure you either use the ships tour dept or choose one that will get you back to the ship, at least an hour before departure time..

Well, I did say correct me if I'm wrong. Never heard of the Port Play program, but to me, way too risky to do this. I'm surprised NCL offers it. At least they know these parents are off the ship without the kids if they don'tnreturn for sail away. Is the regular kids club closed on port days? Can you tell I cruise without little ones?

I have no idea. I travel without my kids as they have kids of their own now....but I remember talking to someone on my last Breakaway cruise abut them contemplating leaving theirs onboard - but decided against it.

As a side note, that info was for the Breakaway so I don't know if it's ship wide or not.

Hariet

Okay, with a google search I just found this......Good on all Norwegian ships not just Breakaway -

Group-Sitting Options for Kids

Need a little more "me" time? Outside of our complimentary Kid's Crew Program we offer even more supervised fun for the kids. "Port Play" and the "Late Night Fun Zone" are both fee-based group-sitting services for kid's ages 2-12. The cost is $5 per child per hour, and $3 per each additional sibling in the immediate family per hour.

The Youth Staff runs these activities in the Kid's Crew Facilities and all the requirements and procedures noted above apply. As a courtesy, we ask that you sign up by 8pm the evening prior to the desired "Port Play/Late Night Fun Zone".

Port Play

In Port Hours

Arrival in Port to Departure from Port

Overnight in Port Hours*

Arrival in Port to 8:00 P.M.

*Times vary per ship/itinerary

Please contact the Youth Program Supervisor onboard if you have an early excursion and need Port Play services.

Wrong? How about difference of opinion based on limited facts? There are so many unknowns. You don't know the age of the children, whether there are other adult relatives on board, or any clue why these adults were late. We don't even know the man and woman are the two parents, all we have is a foggy video, some assumptions and rumors. I like to have a few facts before I call CFS. But if you want to rant about something beyond your control, be my guest. I just offered a thought.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

No one should play judge and jury. No one can decide if a teen should be left behind or what is child neglect. absolutely you are right. And as for the video, who knows this is for real. So much can be done with videos today, I never take them serious. All you have to do is watch a few, where they have replaced regular entertainers with those entertainers who have been dead for 20 years to realize what can be done.

I also have to add, no one knows someone's kids better than the parents. I know the tour I was referring to in my last post was to a brewery. Can you imagine taking a couple of young teens to a brewery tour. They would have been bored to pieces. Or, when someone suggests, even if your child is an older teen, you should make sure they go everywhere mommy and daddy go: OMG, I cant' imagine expecting our grandkids, when they were in their late teens doing the exact same things on a cruise ship we were doing. Of course anything can happen. If you are at home and let them go to the movies alone, anything can happen, but sooner or later you have to break the apron strings and let kids do their own thing.

I might feel differently if the kids were elementary age or if there was not children's program, but we really don't have a clue to what really happened.

Amazing video. We were on the June 9th Breakaway cruise. We watched three young guys run up to the ship at 5 p.m. We figured they were the last passengers. We were wrong. At 5:15p.m. a slow moving elderly couple get out of a taxi while the ship is blowing its horn to leave. Fortunately for this couple, someone on board saw them on the pier and relayed a message to the bridge. They made it without a tug boat.

It is amazing on a Bermuda cruise that is in port three days, folks can't get back on time on day three. We used the ferry on day one and day two, but stayed around the Dockyards on day three. With a modicum of planning, you can avoid this situation. Unfortunately, you have folks who believe the world revolves around them, and it is no problem to inconvience all the passengers, endanger the crew on both the Breakaway and the tug boat so you can spend a few extra minutes on shore. We see folks almost miss the ship on every cruise, and had a similar situation on another cruise in which a NCL tender boat had to retrieve a mom who missed the ship with a child on board.

Transferring from a tug to the ship is no more dangerous than transferring from a tender to the ship. I have read many reports on Cruise Critic of people being able to hitch a ride with the pilot boat, tug or whatever to catch up to the ship.

A tender is set up with ramps, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on cruise critic. Did you even watch the video? You think that video shows the same thing as transferring from a tender????? You say its no more dangerous, I beg to differ with you.

When have you climbed up the side of the ship on a rope ladder at a tender port?? Is that how they are doing Great Stirrup Cay these days?

Did you see at first they put the female up on the side of the tup and they wantted her to jump with no ladder, but the distance to the door was too far?

Did you see the NCL employee wrap ropes around himself to avoid falling in and being crushed between the tug and the ship?? You have boarded a ship from a tender with an NCL employee holding their arm out, while the rest of his body is tied with a rope to the hull? I must not have tendered in a while, my last tender was Samana in 2012, they must have changed the tendering process.......

No one should play judge and jury. No one can decide if a teen should be left behind or what is child neglect. absolutely you are right. And as for the video, who knows this is for real. So much can be done with videos today, I never take them serious. All you have to do is watch a few, where they have replaced regular entertainers with those entertainers who have been dead for 20 years to realize what can be done.

I also have to add, no one knows someone's kids better than the parents. I know the tour I was referring to in my last post was to a brewery. Can you imagine taking a couple of young teens to a brewery tour. They would have been bored to pieces. Or, when someone suggests, even if your child is an older teen, you should make sure they go everywhere mommy and daddy go: OMG, I cant' imagine expecting our grandkids, when they were in their late teens doing the exact same things on a cruise ship we were doing. Of course anything can happen. If you are at home and let them go to the movies alone, anything can happen, but sooner or later you have to break the apron strings and let kids do their own thing.

I might feel differently if the kids were elementary age or if there was not children's program, but we really don't have a clue to what really happened.

Most of us watched the video live on here. It was live on the Bermuda Port cam.

A tender is set up with ramps, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on cruise critic. Did you even watch the video? You think that video shows the same thing as transferring from a tender????? You say its no more dangerous, I beg to differ with you.

When have you climbed up the side of the ship on a rope ladder at a tender port?? Is that how they are doing Great Stirrup Cay these days?

Did you see at first they put the female up on the side of the tup and they wantted her to jump with no ladder, but the distance to the door was too far?

Did you see the NCL employee wrap ropes around himself to avoid falling in and being crushed between the tug and the ship?? You have boarded a ship from a tender with an NCL employee holding their arm out, while the rest of his body is tied with a rope to the hull? I must not have tendered in a while, my last tender was Samana in 2012, they must have changed the tendering process.......

Nope, I didn't watch the video. My bad.

Archived