Baby bedtime drink

Gee, some people don't know enough to just keep their opinions to themselves! If the OP wanted advise on how to wean their child from a bottle, she would have asked for it. I noticed several critical responses have been removed from this thread, but one poster in particular, won't let it go. A simple search of this posters recent activity would reveal they are particularly mean-spirited and opinionated.

To the OP, I would go along with setting the container in hot water for a few minutes. Enjoy your cruise with your family. Rest assured, your beautiful child will not walk down the aisle years from now carrying a baby bottle!

Hi all.

Thanks very much for Your kind responses. (As for the others, I'm glad they were removed before I got a chance to read them, or I would be banned from cc) however I get the jist)

No I do not intend on rushing to wean my child from her ONE bottle a day which she so looks forward to. This is part of her bed time routine & I am hoping to stick to it however best I can when she will already be in strange surroundings on her first holiday abroad let alone away from home for the first time. FYI I brush her teeth after her night time bottle & after breakfast each time & have been complemented by our dentist in her healthy set of teeth.

Thanks so much to the rest of you for your helpful advice. The sink is a great idea! why didn't I think of that??! & also the small cartons! great!

oh & the 20 year not 20 month comment did make me chuckle.

For those of you who found it helpful to add your "helpful" comments but I missed, I'm online now I'm all ears :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Another approach would be to consider that most "habits" in toddlers can be broken in two to three days. Since you have two weeks, you could always eliminate that bottle. In addition to making your cruise easier, you would have the additional benefits of protecting those young teeth, as milk at bedtime is a huge contributor to dental caries. In reality, if it's really a "bottle" and not a sippy cup, you're best off getting rid of it by that age anyhow.

Just some food for thought!;)

I would also like to add that I am already trying to hurry toilet training as rci do not allow swim nappies. So forgive me for keeping My baby a baby until we return home. The closest we stick to her routine, the more enjoyable our holiday will be, for her, My other 2 children & mum & dad.

I'm sure you could get milk from room service, but on Freedom, we were able to get (cold) single serve cartons of milk from the cafe promenade every night for my son before bed.

Just a tip if you don't want to wait on room service.

I'm sure you could get milk from room service, but on Freedom, we were able to get (cold) single serve cartons of milk from the cafe promenade every night for my son before bed.

Just a tip if you don't want to wait on room service.

Thankyou for the helpful advice Patty!

it seems I'm worrying over nothing :)

If I were you I'd check if a kettle is in your room, if not pick up an inexpensive travel kettle, pack a small jug and then you can easily (and quickly) warm the bottle of milk.

There won't be a kettle in your room unless you are in a suite.

Travel kettles might not be allowed, but it's worth a try. As a backup plan, you can pop down to the promade cafe and grab a couple of mugs of hot water and stick the bottle in those.

We sailed on a TA last year from Southampton and did have a kettle in our stateroom (ordinary balcony; not a suite). However, a couple of days before reaching the U.S. they were removed by room stewards. We had already turned ours in, as we did not use; however, a lot of people (mostly from UK) were upset!

As far as heating a bottle - echo the other posters about milk being available on the Cafe Promenade and Windjammer (you have to ask in the Windjammer after breakfast hours; but it is available).

Thought perhaps you could ask the room steward for an extra aluminum ice bucket. You could use each night and fill with hot tap water - that way your sink would be available for other family members, and the water would stay hot for the bottle.

Enjoy your cruise and family.

I would also like to add that I am already trying to hurry toilet training as rci do not allow swim nappies. So forgive me for keeping My baby a baby until we return home. The closest we stick to her routine, the more enjoyable our holiday will be, for her, My other 2 children & mum & dad.

I totally understand wanting to stick to a routine. And yes, I am the one who has been so unfavoringly assessed by people here for early comments that were erased. Perhaps in my haste they came across as harsh. It was not my intention. However, one of the undeniable realities of a message board like this is that you will receive all sorts of replies. Now this particular forum tends to be rather careful not to leave anything up that might ruffle feathers (for better or worse).

I was simply sharing my professional experience and trying to offer an alternate perspective. It's a normal part of human nature for parents to sometimes identify certain behaviors or tendencies that they perceive as being "hard wired" into their children, when in fact they are merely current habits that can and do change often with much more ease than expected. However if you are not comfortable with that, I understand. That being said, I still hold my position that a bottle at that age is in fact a detriment. Sometimes there are shades of grey, but sometimes facts are facts.

As for toilet training... on that one, I'm a card carrying cynic. I believe kids train themselves to use the toilet, and parents take credit for it!:p My best advice is to present the opportunity, and be supportive. Because if it becomes a point of contention, everyone loses.

Sorry I though Royal Caribbean allowed kettles as I'm sailing from the Uk this year and there will be a kettle in our room - but maybe that's only because we Brits are known for enjoying a cuppa ;-). Worth checking but if they say no I'd go with hot water in the sink or ask your room attendant if you could have boiling water in a teapot??

they do not allow them in staterooms below Suite unless the ship is sailing out of England. and then THEY Provide them.

you may NOT bring your own on, no matter where you sail from or what cabin you have.

To add to my earlier post regarding milk boxes from home: I liked the convenience of having organic ultra-pasteurized milk boxes in our room instead of making a trip to the Cafe Promenade every evening to hunt down milk. Plus, since the milk boxes we brought did not require refrigeration and were already at room temperature, it was that much easier to warm them in the sink.

Also, in case you hadn't come across this info already: the 'refrigerators' in the cabins are really just coolers and not cold enough to keep milk you picked up from the Windjammer at breakfast.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

First time I took my grandkids, my gd was 11 mo old and needed more than one bottle a day, one for a nap, and one at bedtime.

We spoke to the room steward , he then brought one for us at bedtime when he turned down the beds sometimes it was only room temp by the time we needed it, and we used the ice bucket full of hot tap water to rewarm it a bit.

They always have milk at the buffet -and they will warm it for you when asked - I was told to pour it from the milk dispenser into a coffee cup and hand it to any staff member and they would do it - found it was never a problem -they were always helpfull!

Enjoy - I fully agree, just before a stressful time is not the time to change bedtime traditions! Do not take to heart the messages from those that want to give unwanted advice, they think they no it all!!!

they do not allow them in staterooms below Suite unless the ship is sailing out of England. and then THEY Provide them.

you may NOT bring your own on, no matter where you sail from or what cabin you have.

For the record Spookwife I don't appreciate the way your comment comes across - is there really any need for the 'shouting' capitals?? I was merely suggesting an option that as a parent I was extremely grateful for last year and if you re-read I did also recommend asking first!! I took a travel kettle on NCL last year for this purpose, left it in plain sight and it wasn't an issue.

I totally understand wanting to stick to a routine. And yes, I am the one who has been so unfavoringly assessed by people here for early comments that were erased. Perhaps in my haste they came across as harsh. It was not my intention. However, one of the undeniable realities of a message board like this is that you will receive all sorts of replies. Now this particular forum tends to be rather careful not to leave anything up that might ruffle feathers (for better or worse).

I was simply sharing my professional experience and trying to offer an alternate perspective. It's a normal part of human nature for parents to sometimes identify certain behaviors or tendencies that they perceive as being "hard wired" into their children, when in fact they are merely current habits that can and do change often with much more ease than expected. However if you are not comfortable with that, I understand. That being said, I still hold my position that a bottle at that age is in fact a detriment. Sometimes there are shades of grey, but sometimes facts are facts.

As for toilet training... on that one, I'm a card carrying cynic. I believe kids train themselves to use the toilet, and parents take credit for it!:p My best advice is to present the opportunity, and be supportive. Because if it becomes a point of contention, everyone loses.

Thanks for your "professional" advice. however as The Mum & after 3 children I can't help but think I am the professional in this case. I did not get to read your other comments, but judging by the fact that they were removed I can only gather they were not helpful to my question.

To all of you who have taken the time to be nice to me & give some helpful advice, Thankyou very much. I have decided to take milk cartons & use the the sink/champagne bucket. :)

Have you thought about toddler formula? Try her on it before you travel to see if she likes it. Might be easier to get warm water than warm milk from room service.

I like the idea of the bottle warmer and the long life milk.

Enjoy your family time. Happy child = happy mum

I know that you said that you are bringing milk cartons, but I have one more suggestion.

We recently sailed with our young granddaughter. Every night when we were finishing our dinner, our assistant waiter brought over two cartons of milk for the baby's bottle. It was so convenient that my daughter did not have to go looking for milk.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for your "professional" advice. however as The Mum & after 3 children I can't help but think I am the professional in this case.

Of course your previous experience times three clearly trumps the entirety of the data and evidence available in the world of pediatrics. Silly of me to think otherwise. ;)

Have you thought about toddler formula? Try her on it before you travel to see if she likes it. Might be easier to get warm water than warm milk from room service.

I like the idea of the bottle warmer and the long life milk.

Enjoy your family time. Happy child = happy mum

I have never recommended toddler formula to parents. It's basically be a great way for formula makers to augment their revenue. On occasion, in children with serious feeding issues, it might be of benefit. But if this kiddo has made it to 20 months without it, I'd be very reticent to introduce it now.

For the record Spookwife I don't appreciate the way your comment comes across - is there really any need for the 'shouting' capitals?? I was merely suggesting an option that as a parent I was extremely grateful for last year and if you re-read I did also recommend asking first!! I took a travel kettle on NCL last year for this purpose, left it in plain sight and it wasn't an issue.

Royal is not NCL.

I emphasized the not because too many people think they are special and can do whatever they please despite the contract clearly stating that kettles may not be brought on board. while it is your responsibility to read the fine print, most do not( I do not myself in most cases) and I was merely pointing out that it is a regulation and by 'shouting' i was making sure it was clearly understood.

Have you considered the milk that does not have to be refrigerated? It comes in individual serving sizes. It would be a room temperature to begin with and a nice dip in the sink filled with hot water would have it heated in no time. I can't remember any of the brand names these are marketed under. They also have a long shelf life. Royal Caribbean ships will not allow the kettle, but a bottle warmer might be easier and a more practical, inexpensive solution if you choose to go that route. Room service is quite prompt on the ships and you can always ask for a couple of cartons of milk and a pot of hot water be brought to you if the tap water does not get hot enough for you.

I fully appreciate NCL is not Royal which is why I suggested asking the question. However I am curious as to where it specifically says kettles are not allowed - I believe I have read the fine print and checked the FAQ and all I can find is 'coffee makers, clothes irons or hot plates' - no mention of kettles, travel or otherwise. Please do correct me if I am wrong as I would never want to knowingly take anything on board any ship that is defined as a prohibited item.

Whoa chill out a little and stop with the personal insults!! As I will have a kettle in my cabin but not a coffee maker I presumed they were 2 completely different items but again please correct me if I am wrong! I am merely going off what I have taken and what I know will be in my next cabin! I'll be honest and say I have no clue as to why kettles are provided on cruises from the Uk but not other parts of the world but surely if they aren't seen as a safety hazard on one cruise how can they suddenly become one when you reach a certain point in the Atlantic? Unless there is something I'm missing?

I'll be honest and say I have no clue as to why kettles are provided on cruises from the Uk but not other parts of the world but surely if they aren't seen as a safety hazard on one cruise how can they suddenly become one when you reach a certain point in the Atlantic? Unless there is something I'm missing?

It seems there is a lot you're missing, but that's an entirely different story. Kettles are supplied on European cruises because of the high demand and expectations for them. On this side of the pond, they pull them because very few use them. People wold likely end up sticking them in the closet or elsewhere to get them out of the way. Since so few would be used, it isn't worth the hassle of keeping them in place, just to be moved, neglected or misused.

However, there is a huge difference in RCI supplying and being responsible for a kettle and telling people to bring one aboard. Who knows what old, beat up piece of malfunctioning kitchen gadgetry people might show up with. So what are they supposed to do? Say "you can bring this brand", or "kettles must be inspected"? So instead, no kettles. And for the handful that still want hot water, The windjammer is a short walk, and room service is only a phone call away.

I appreciate the 2nd half of your reply - informative and with a valid explanation however I do not appreciate yet another personal insult simply because I was trying to offer a helpful suggestion to a fellow parent of a young baby who needs her routine!! I will again state that I also suggested asking Royal Caribbean who, based on your explanation, may well have offered to provide a kettle in the cabin thus solving any potential issues.

Your comment that hot water is readily available in the Windjammer would not always be a solution if you have a particularly tired, grumpy baby the last thing you would want to do is go anywhere other than back to your cabin to get them settled and in bed.

I honestly can not believe grown adults can so quickly jump down the throats of people who are trying to help anyone solve a problem they themselves have been through!! I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong (it will also help me in future) but I really don't see the need to personally insult anyone!!

Dang you guys. :/ I, too, was interested in this because my 1 year old (who will be 13 months when we travel in 3 weeks) also takes a bottle of cows milk before brushing her teeth and bed. Glad someone mentioned the promenade to grab some milk or letting the steward know! It is also her one bottle "allowed" a day. I admit I had been thinking about transitioning that to a sippy...

Dang you guys. :/ I, too, was interested in this because my 1 year old (who will be 13 months when we travel in 3 weeks) also takes a bottle of cows milk before brushing her teeth and bed. Glad someone mentioned the promenade to grab some milk or letting the steward know! It is also her one bottle "allowed" a day. I admit I had been thinking about transitioning that to a sippy...

Room service will bring milk. We ordered it every morning when we cruised at 13 months, but you can order it any time. I just brought a bunch of $1 bills for tips.

I waited until just after we cruised to get rid of the bottles - and made the mistake of not bringing extras because I didn't want to buy some since we wouldn't be using them anymore. Almost a big mistake when one was lost - lesson learned, bring extras!

Best,

Mia

Archived