Interntet stealing concern

Tatka

Letting others use one's free Internet may have been part of the problem.

Another was those with free Internet who signed on and never signed off, thus using it 100% of the time.

I'm bracing myself to get lectured on this but what the heck.

As we don't use the internet too much while on board we decided on our last 3 cruise to "donate" the free 250 minutes from one of us to our cabin steward as a gift.

I know they have internet access as well but that must be costly to them otherwise we would not see them in port going to the free internet sites.

The only thing we did was keep track of the usage and when there was about 10 minutes left we changed the password. (The person was aware of this)

We know that by doing this we have to trust the person completely because he or she could also change the password and then we would be stuck with all the cost for extra minutes.

So far this has worked out without problems and it was much appreciated.

I don't know if they are allowed to accept this but I can see no harm in it.

Theo

As we don't use the internet too much while on board we decided on our last 3 cruise to "donate" the free 250 minutes from one of us to our cabin steward as a gift.

I know they have internet access as well but that must be costly to them otherwise we would not see them in port going to the free internet sites.

The only thing we did was keep track of the usage and when there was about 10 minutes left we changed the password. (The person was aware of this)

We know that by doing this we have to trust the person completely because he or she could also change the password and then we would be stuck with all the cost for extra minutes.

Theo

No lecture from me, but one of these days you're going to get burned.

Theo

Never heard of doing this before, I'm sure the steward's would know if they could or couldn't accept them:)

We often don't even sign into the second persons account on our cruises cause I sure don't go cruise to sit online nor have to use every 'free' minute we get:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wonder if the steward can use the minutes? Of course, they will

expire and the end of your voyage; and crew has a different splash

screen than pax. And, they can't get to everything. I know they

can't get to the 'free' email post cards. And, if they have deck

privledges, they're not allowed to access the passenger PCs.

Inquiring minds want to know.

I wonder if the steward can use the minutes? Yes they can. Of course, they will

expire and the end of your voyage; (No, they expire when I change the password) and crew has a different splash

screen than pax. And, they can't get to everything. I know they

can't get to the 'free' email post cards. And, if they have deck

privledges, they're not allowed to access the passenger PCs.

Inquiring minds want to know.

On the last cruise I asked the IT guy if it is possible to shut me down automatically if I reach the end of my free time and he said yes. So that is probably what we are going to do next time.

Theo

I just read something on another forum and it got me worried. It is somewhat specific to the Princess Cruises as only Princess puts cards with passenger names near cabin doors.

When you connect to the internet to create internet account system asks you to provide name and birthday. Well, this information is available for the strangers. All they need to do is to find a door with birthday decorations. I know that not all people celebrate birthdays on their actual d.o.b. but still it is pretty close.

a57575be24fc.png

bcbf9408c82a.jpg

I hope nobody will use it, but it would be great if Princess changed its procedure of logging into the internet.

Take no notice of the balloons or sign, we celebrated our wedding anniversary on board and turned to to happy birthday balloons and sign!,

We just laughed it off, lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Originally Posted by pablo222 viewpost.gif

Of course, they willexpire and the end of your voyage; (No, they expire when I change the password)

Sorry, I didn't realize we wanted to be pedantic.

The minutes will expire at the end of your voyage.

You could lock-out anyone using the current password,

by changing the current password, but the minutes will still

be available with the new password.

Sorry, I didn't realize we wanted to be pedantic.

The minutes will expire at the end of your voyage.

You could lock-out anyone using the current password,

by changing the current password, but the minutes will still

be available with the new password.

Sorry you feel that way, it was not my intention.

Maybe I should have said they expire for "them" when I change the password.

Theo

Oh... I forgot about the year of birth!

Shame on me. :o:D

Thank you for explaining me basics of theory of probability. :)

But without a year ... task would still be doable.

So how would you get the password?

Crew buy internet cards from a kiosk in their internet lounge. The cards cost $20 for 200 minutes. The cards have a scratch and reveal window that shows the cards' password. Once they log on, they change that password. Once the card 'dries up' they have to buy another.

$20 is not too bad a deal but, as pointed out on this and other threads, crew don't make a lot of dough so they will often be seen at port side using whatever free internet is available to them.

Now to mention after the third failed attempt the system would probably lock you out from trying the fourth time. God knows I have done this myself on my own accounts because the caps lock was on and I didn't realize it. I'm sure the cruise line has some security set up just for this instants. Unfortunately the person who belongs to the account won't know why they are locked out until they go to see the Internet manager.

Archived