Crown Grill vs. Sabatini's do you have a favorite?

Kentchikan

My curiosity got the best of me. Does your screen name have anything to do with your having sailed on the "Sun Viking"? I sailed on it years ago.

Yes, we did, several times. Our first cruise ever was on the Sun Viking. We had a wonderful time despite the fact that the cabin looked nothing like we thought it would having watched the "Love Boat." After a couple of other Sun Viking cruises we were on RCL's first Panama Canal cruise on the Sun Viking and on RCL's first Asian cruise on the ship. She was their pioneer and we loved our voyages with Captain Bang.

Yes, we did, several times. Our first cruise ever was on the Sun Viking. We had a wonderful time despite the fact that the cabin looked nothing like we thought it would having watched the "Love Boat." After a couple of other Sun Viking cruises we were on RCL's first Panama Canal cruise on the Sun Viking and on RCL's first Asian cruise on the ship. She was their pioneer and we loved our voyages with Captain Bang.

I sailed on a two week Caribbean cruise out of Miami on the Sun Viking. It was wonderful. I miss those days of cruising.

We enjoy both Sabatinis and the Crown Grill. We don't really like the main dining rooms. We have found for the last several cruises that the food is uninspiring. Service has always been good but the ambiance is also a little lacking. We like the Sabatinis menu as it is now. Even before the menu was changed we only once got the "Sabatini Experience." We did that the first time and were totally overwhelmed. After that we told our servers we only wanted what we wanted, not everything on the menu. While a few times we had trouble getting that message through, after the first time we never were served all the appetizers and whatever.

We enjoy the "new" menu though it's been that way for a few years now. I love the soft shell crab appetizer. My DH likes the calamari. I absolutely love the tomato soup with seafood. The veal chop has usually been incredible. The salt encrusted fish has also been one of our favorites.

We also thoroughly enjoy the Crown Grill. Since we rarely eat in the dining room we have enjoyed most things on the alternative restaurant menus. I think the chef on the ship can make a big difference in the food in all the venues. We have found it easier to get off-menu items at Sabatinis.

I think the chef on the ship can make a big difference in the food in all the venues.

That is so true. It's amazing what a difference the chef can make.

We have found it easier to get off-menu items at Sabatinis.

We have offed the menu-boy that was badly worded-I mean ordered off the menu in both restaurants.

That is so true. It's amazing what a difference the chef can make.
The Head Chef makes all the difference. The menus are the same. The ingredients are the same. The difference is the preparation and presentation. There are always slight differences.

Several years ago, we were on a 15-day cruise to/from LA to HI. The first half of the cruise, the food was salty, meat cuts were poor with fat and gristle, taste was lacking other than being salty. For instance, the French onion soup was downright awful: salty, bland, thin broth and mostly bread on top with a thin cheese topping. We had to send it back. The night we sailed from Lahaina to LA, the food was noticeably better. Significantly so. We again had French onion soup and it was great: rich, tasty, oniony, etc. I asked what happened and it turned out that the Head Chef had been on vacation and re-boarded in Lahaina. That convinced me how much of a difference he makes.

The Head Chef makes all the difference. The menus are the same. The ingredients are the same. The difference is the preparation and presentation. There are always slight differences.

Several years ago, we were on a 15-day cruise to/from LA to HI. The first half of the cruise, the food was salty, meat cuts were poor with fat and gristle, taste was lacking other than being salty. For instance, the French onion soup was downright awful: salty, bland, thin broth and mostly bread on top with a thin cheese topping. We had to send it back. The night we sailed from Lahaina to LA, the food was noticeably better. Significantly so. We again had French onion soup and it was great: rich, tasty, oniony, etc. I asked what happened and it turned out that the Head Chef had been on vacation and re-boarded in Lahaina. That convinced me how much of a difference he makes.

Wow. Interesting story.

We have a restaurant that we frequent. When we went on Tuesdays or Wednesdays the food was always noticeably better. In fact at one point I asked if they'd changed recipes and was told that they hadn't. The difference was the cook. It's amazing what a difference a good cook or chef can make.

I was at a luncheon where several people prepared the same recipe from a charity cookbook that they were promoting. The differences among the results were astounding.

We used to love Sabatinis. THe last time we ate at Sabatinis (March 2013) the food was not up to par as it had been in the past. Still great servive. My wife likes steak but could do without. But she loves the Crown Grill. We will continue to go to the Crown Grill. Sabatinis? Who knows.

We used to love Sabatinis. THe last time we ate at Sabatinis (March 2013) the food was not up to par as it had been in the past. Still great servive. My wife likes steak but could do without. But she loves the Crown Grill. We will continue to go to the Crown Grill. Sabatinis? Who knows.

We enjoyed Sabatinis for suite breakfast. Food on Princess in regular venues was poor to fair. The crown grill was okay.

We just got off the Golden Princess yesterday, Alaska cruise Sept. 8th-15th,after reading a lot about the new menu at Sabatinis we decided to go to Crown Grill - an excellent choice!

The food was more than fabulous! The steaks, HUGE, and cooked perfect to order... There was 6 if us in our group, so instead of each person ordering a side dish, the waiter suggested that she bring one if everything - family style.

So Yummy! Nice atmosphere & great Service!

Archived