Nassau must sees and must do's

racerboy88

Hi everyone,

We will be visiting the Eastern Caribbean in Sept on Carnival Dream.

This will be our first time visiting this port.

What are the must sees and must do's?

Are there any local tour companies that you can recommend as opposed to booking the excursion on the ship?

We also like doing the island tours but don't want to end up on one of those that just hit the tourist spots where they have the contracts to stop at.

We ran into this when we were in St. Maarten. The tour was boring b/c the tour operator just seemed like he was going through the motions.

Hi everyone,

We will be visiting the Eastern Caribbean in Sept on Carnival Dream.

This will be our first time visiting this port.

What are the must sees and must do's?

Are there any local tour companies that you can recommend as opposed to booking the excursion on the ship?

We also like doing the island tours but don't want to end up on one of those that just hit the tourist spots where they have the contracts to stop at.

We ran into this when we were in St. Maarten. The tour was boring b/c the tour operator just seemed like he was going through the motions.

how old is your party, is it a couple or family, what are you guys interested in?

how old is your party, is it a couple or family, what are you guys interested in?

We are in our early 40's and it is just the two of us.

We like doing the island tours to learn about the culture.

But we want to avoid the same disappointment we had in St. Maarten with that island tour.

That is why we are wondering if there is a local tour company on the island that is good a reputable to deal with.

Some of what you are interested in overlaps with my itinerary, so I will just copy/paste some options:

Junkanoo beach (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36391347&postcount=4) - nice public beach we can lay on and relax.

Price: Free; umbrellas cost $5

Queen's Staircase - recommended view

Price: Free

Walking Tours (http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newprovidence/0251010008.html) - really get to see the history of Bahamas (minus the rape and robbing).

Senor Frogs - drink

Fish Fry (Oh Andros, Frankie Goes bananas. Anchorage, and Goldies) - All fried fish/lobster/conch. Heard it's fun to try.

Cafe Matisse (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147416-d780053-Reviews-Cafe_Matisse-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html) - rated #1 and could be an option to eat at while doing walking tour

Pirate Museum (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147416-d148523-Reviews-Pirates_of_Nassau_Museum-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html) - I don't care what anyone does, I'm going to this. I want to see this. (left on George street where the jitney's line up. You'll see it on the right. )

Price: $12

Straw Market on Bay Street (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=straw+market+nassau+bahamas&id=EB67DDC60D8B0C9C2EC5409750647F9B56E4C70C&FORM=IQFRBA#a) - they sell a variety of straw type things, braid your hair etc. Do not buy ANYTHING on their first offer, they try to hustle you. Try to counter offer them at 3/5, and don't budge in price. It's fun to negotiate. You can walk away, and they will acquiese usually.

Price: Very cheap

Rum cakes - there are apparently 3 times of Rum cakes, Bahamian, Bacardi, and another one (the third one is very good but not local). I want to buy one.

John Watling's Disillery (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147416-d4176835-Reviews-John_Watling_s_Distillery-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html) - 1-2 hour distillery tour that allows you to see how they make local rum.

If you want to see more stuff, I'd recommend checking tripadvisor for tours and such.

Best of luck.

We did the three hour Tru Bahamian Food Tour and loved it. You learn about the culture and history of the island plus the food was fantastic. The highlight of our trip. My husband and I are in our 50's and we traveled with our sons 20 and 16. They really liked it too. Alana was a fantastic tour guide and so accommodating. I was able to use my reward points from Bank of America to book two of our tickets.

We are in our early 40's and it is just the two of us.

We like doing the island tours to learn about the culture.

But we want to avoid the same disappointment we had in St. Maarten with that island tour.

That is why we are wondering if there is a local tour company on the island that is good a reputable to deal with.

Which island tour did you do in St. Maarten? We did Bernard's tours and had a great time:)

November will be our 9th time in Nassau - and we have never done a tour before - but this year we are booked with Jermaine's tours .... we thought after 9 visits it is time to see a little bit more of the island.

Which island tour did you do in St. Maarten? We did Bernard's tours and had a great time:)

November will be our 9th time in Nassau - and we have never done a tour before - but this year we are booked with Jermaine's tours .... we thought after 9 visits it is time to see a little bit more of the island.

I can't remember the name of the tour as it has been at least 3 years.

We did the three hour Tru Bahamian Food Tour and loved it. You learn about the culture and history of the island plus the food was fantastic. The highlight of our trip. My husband and I are in our 50's and we traveled with our sons 20 and 16. They really liked it too. Alana was a fantastic tour guide and so accommodating. I was able to use my reward points from Bank of America to book two of our tickets.

Do you recall how much the tour cost?

There will be just two of us.

Did you book this on the ship or from the company directly?

Do you recall how much the tour cost?

There will be just two of us.

Did you book this on the ship or from the company directly?

So I took a look at the company site and unfortunately they do not offer a tour on Sunday Sept 22/13.

We will have to look for other options now

Some of what you are interested in overlaps with my itinerary, so I will just copy/paste some options:

Junkanoo beach (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36391347&postcount=4) - nice public beach we can lay on and relax.

Price: Free; umbrellas cost $5

Queen's Staircase - recommended view

Walking Tours (http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newprovidence/0251010008.html) - really get to see the history of Bahamas (minus the rape and robbing).

Senor Frogs - drink

Fish Fry (Oh Andros, Frankie Goes bananas. Anchorage, and Goldies) - All fried fish/lobster/conch. Heard it's fun to try.

Cafe Matisse (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147416-d780053-Reviews-Cafe_Matisse-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html) - rated #1 and could be an option to eat at while doing walking tour

Pirate Museum (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147416-d148523-Reviews-Pirates_of_Nassau_Museum-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html) - I don't care what anyone does, I'm going to this. I want to see this. (left on George street where the jitney's line up. You'll see it on the right. )

Price: $12

Straw Market on Bay Street (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=straw+market+nassau+bahamas&id=EB67DDC60D8B0C9C2EC5409750647F9B56E4C70C&FORM=IQFRBA#a) - they sell a variety of straw type things, braid your hair etc. Do not buy ANYTHING on their first offer, they try to hustle you. Try to counter offer them at 3/5, and don't budge in price. It's fun to negotiate. You can walk away, and they will acquiese usually.

Price: Very cheap

Rum cakes - there are apparently 3 times of Rum cakes, Bahamian, Bacardi, and another one (the third one is very good but not local). I want to buy one.

John Watling's Disillery (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147416-d4176835-Reviews-John_Watling_s_Distillery-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html) - 1-2 hour distillery tour that allows you to see how they make local rum.

If you want to see more stuff, I'd recommend checking tripadvisor for tours and such.

Best of luck.

Bump for these good suggestions

Sorry I missed your post but for others, I booked directly online with Tru Bahamian food Tours. I believe it was $69 per person but I only paid for two as I used my reward points for the other two tickets. We also booked a snorkeling excursion directly thru Bluehole Watersports and that was fantastic as well.

We were in Nassau last Saturday. I highly recommend John Watling's Rum Distillery. An interesting tour and a rum tasting afterward. The grounds are beautiful. It is within walking distance of the port. It is an up hill walk. The good news is that on the way down hill is the new Fat Tuesday's on the water.

The Fish Fry is about another 10 minute walk from Fat Tuesday's. I have eaten at a couple of different restaurants at the Fish Fry. My personal preference is for Twin Brothers.

Since you are there on a Sunday, you may want to check in advance what time they open.

I was also impressed with the improvements that have been made to Bay Street and some of the other adjacent streets. Many of the side walks have been replaced; making the area much more pedestrian friendly.

We used Bernard's also and had a wonderful time with John Landel as our tour guide. He was excellent and had the very best rum punch I have ever had.

Junkanoo beach and the distillery tour look like fun for the time that we are in the port.

We will be there from 8:30-2pm.

Is the beach within walking distance from the port?

The beach is easy walking distance from the ship. Use Google Earth and you will be able to find all of these places beforehand and have a general idea of where you are going.

We have been to Nassau several times. [stayed on Paradise Island for a week]

We like to take a water taxi [or regular taxi] to Paradise island. Walk up the hill to Atlantis and walk through the public areas of the resort. The marina is one of the first areas you get to. The boats that are moored there are out of this world. We love to look at these.

Across the street from the Atlantis entrance [nearest the marina and shopping area] is a small shopping center with gifts shops, liquor store, restaurants and a Scotia Bank [with ATM] We found prices in this shopping center pretty good. Also, there is a smaller straw market near this. It it much less crowded and a no pressure market.

Junkanoo beach and the distillery tour look like fun for the time that we are in the port.

We will be there from 8:30-2pm.

Is the beach within walking distance from the port?

Junkanoo beach is in walking distance from the port. (west bay street and nassau st, I think it's a 5 min walk from port).

jitneys.jpg

Some really nice pics of the beach can be found here as well: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1753489

We thought Junkanoo beach was a sketchy, trash infested dump. We walked all the way over there from the ship, turned around and walked back. No way was I staying there. Ended up taking a $10pp taxi to paradise beach and enjoyed the day. Im told theres a water taxi to paradise beach too, but I dont know where it leaves from.

• 3 weeks later...

Props to you for giving us direct links! I enjoyed looking at all the pics at the straw market....Question maybe someone can answer: We will be in port 8a-5p. Will that be enough time to do a tour of Atlantis as well as the distillery and straw market? This is the port we are most excited about and the port that we have more than 1 thing planned. Im getting kinda scared we are planning too much :(

Archived