trip insurance?

jota16

what's the best value for trip insurance for 2 families of 5 ? thx!

Premium costs are determined by many variables such , number of days, individual ages of each person and what type of insurance required (I.E. cancelation only, medical, medical evacuation, etc.etc.) . Therefore no one can give you a "Best Value".

Suggest you comparative shopping on the websites state in post #2 of the this thread.

Note if anyone is needing insurance to cover pre-exiting conditions it generally is required to be purchased within 10-14 day (depending insurer) from the original booking date in order for the policy to have a pre-exiting waiver included. All this will be stated on the websites that have been suggested to check.

We have always used travel insurance and we have booked it thru our National travel club (did not know if I could mention here).

We had to use it one time on a Land vacation to Disney.

One quiet Friday the 13th. in Disney when Hurricaine Charlie paid a visit our vacation was interupted, lost Disney Days, flight cancelled for 3 days out of Orlando international.

We drove to Tampa on a rental car, new flights.

We were re-imbursed for lost Disney days, meal plan, hardhsip.

The only thing not covered that was rejected was the rental car to Tampa, the insurance company would have re-imbursed us to stay 3 more days in Disney to catch our flight, instead of a meager rental car..(go figure)

So we have always purchased insurance, and man has the price gone up over the years:eek:

But, having used it . . . . we purchase it.

Sea Ya

Guest maddycat

We always buy travel insurance. We've been using the Trip Insurance Store and have been purchasing Travel Safe Insurance. When it is purchases with in 21 days of booking the cruise pre-existing medical conditions are covered. We find that the Trip Insurance Store's website is very informative. If we have any questions we call and speak to one of their agents. They are very knowledgeable and helpful.

You might find it helpful to read the CC cruise/travel message board.

***Trip Insurance Store***

Cruise/Travel Insurance - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

If you're "military qualified" checkout TravelInsured policies via USAA - slightly less expensive and some expanded coverages.

If you have kids, checkout TravelInsured, TravelEx... policies that insure kids free with insured adults.

As mentioned, try to purchase within the 14-21 days of booking in order to get "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions".

Check the Credit Card you paid with for (usually minimal) Trip Cancellation and Luggage Delay/Loss coverage -and- check your Health Insurance for possibility that it includes Out-of-Country medical coverage.

ken

I recommend third-party insurance over cruise line because it will offer pre-existing if you buy it within a couple of weeks of the deposit and their medi-vac coverage is higher. The cost is based on cost of trip/age. However, on several occasions I have found out third party does not charge for children under a certain age.

Cruise line insurance charges per person a flat fee no matter what the age. Price is fixed according to the price of the cruise. The good news is that you don't have to pay for it until final payment because up to then you can cancel with full refund. However, you may purchase non-refundable air or a non-refundable hotel room off of Price Line prior to final payment. If you cancel due to a medical issue after final payment, you would not be covered assuming the issue occurred within 60 days of paying for the policy. You can avoid this by paying for the insurance at the time you book rather than waiting until final payment.

The only time I would consider cruise line insurance is if I was not flying to port; would be close enough to the US that their medi-vac insurance would be adequate; have had no medical issues in the immediate family for the past 60 days (or whatever their look-back time period is) prior to purchasing it; and is significantly cheaper than third-party. If you are of a certain age, the price difference might be worth it since one price fits all. I would, also, purchase it the day I make my deposit rather than wait until final payment is due because the "look back period" is from the purchase date when you have had no medical issues rather than final payment date if you wait until then when some medical issue could have raised its ugly head in between.

Tucker in Texas

You would be better advised to find a company who will honor the contract and give you the coverage you want.

Look at the web sites suggested by other posters and find a company or two that meets the needs of your family. Then call the companies and ask them to explain their policies like what they require for medical evacuation and when or if they will do it.

We use Travelguard; I recall seeing that some policies cover those under 18 for free. Definitely shop around, as others have mentioned.

Teddie

I will never use Travelguard ever again. They knowingly kept my husband in an unsuitable hospital and refused to honor our $1,000,000/pp worth of coverage for medical evacuation. They are probably fine for small claims but when it came to the bottom line, we were not as important as their profit margin.

Sign with them at your own risk.

Something to think about also is what do you most need covered?

Also, if you have medical insurance now check to see what your medical insurance will cover out of country. For some very fortunate people that is all they need. For us that was not an option since Medicare is only good in the US.

When beating my head against my desk from the fathoms of travel insurance info from many, many,many travel insurance companies I was reading, I discovered that the most expensive part of the insurance was the part that covers the actual travel expense amounts.

What we needed coverage for was medical, with waver for preexisting conditions, and medical evacuation. We were also buying it way outside of the limits on when the travel was first purchased since the cruise portion had been purchased 18 months before the actual cruise. For our circumstances we could afford to lose the travel costs, but we could not afford having a medical emergency 8,000 or so miles from home with not adequate coverage.

I ended up buying for medical, CSA Freestyle Luxe and medical evacuation, Medjet Assist. Fortunately we did not need either.

Sorry for the long drawn out reply.

Since our horrible experience with Travelguard, we have annual coverage with MedJet Assist.

At least MdJet will allow our personal physicians at home to discuss the patient with the treating physician. Travelguard, though there was a provision for a translator to be on a conference call with our physician at home and the physician at the hospital, refused to do it. They stated that the treating physician had to ask for it, but never told him that the service was available.

The "medical expert" who managed our case and made all the decisions was a paramedic. Though I asked, repeatedly, to speak with the physician in charge of our case, I was never permitted to. Frankly, I doubt if there ever was a qualified physician involved.

I feel much safer with MedJet

Your question is totally unanswerable until you specify your needs, cost limitations, prior medical issues and about 100 other things. Basically, you need to do your research and decide what is best for your group. Also, what is best for 1 family might not be best for the other one.

DON

Since our horrible experience with Travelguard, we have annual coverage with MedJet Assist.

At least MdJet will allow our personal physicians at home to discuss the patient with the treating physician. Travelguard, though there was a provision for a translator to be on a conference call with our physician at home and the physician at the hospital, refused to do it. They stated that the treating physician had to ask for it, but never told him that the service was available.

The "medical expert" who managed our case and made all the decisions was a paramedic. Though I asked, repeatedly, to speak with the physician in charge of our case, I was never permitted to. Frankly, I doubt if there ever was a qualified physician involved.

I feel much safer with MedJet

We know this is a sticky question, but would love to know more about your awful experience if you are comfortable sharing some info. It might be helpful to others.

Hank

Archived