Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LauraS

*An Important Message From Royal Caribbean

I was asked by the management at Royal Caribbean Cruise Line to share this important information with Cruise Critic members who are following the thread entitled "Royal Caribbean cancelled my cruise", posted by Bsan1221:

Well it's pretty much impossible for any of us to be 'following' this thread since it's been gone to the land of poofed posts for a day or so now. I do remember the thread very well and like pretty much everyone else that has posted to this thread, I fail to see what this 'important message' from RCCL has to do with any of it.:confused:

Sounds like pure PR response to me. Standard issue mumbo jumbo letter.

no research into anything, just a generic answer that might fit.

Well to be honest, I wasn't following her story...and remember, we only heard her side!

###

And it would seem that RCI could have used this thread to tell their side instead making a statement that says nothing that is related to the issue.

Bad move on RCI's or CC's part.

I'm assuming all thought RCI stepped up to the plate and took care of an unfortunate situation.

Now somebody is sidestepping, after we all thought it was over.

Now, it starts all over again.

What's the WHOLE story?

Bsan better return from Busch Gardens!

Guest OBAYbee

How bizarre! Frankly the lesson on telemarketing and internet fraud was a bit condescending and unnecessary IMO.

Instead of explaining, it might have served them better to just drop the subject. RCI has managed to make me wonder what was it about that incident that drove them to publicize it like this and why would they post it here. Are they filing charges? Is this a way of trying to clean up?

I’ve worked online for years with huge companies, this is way unusual. Who wrote that and asked it be posted on a message board?

Could that email be fraudulent? Very weird.

I understand deleting threads that get offensive or otherwise break CC rules, but for something like this, it seems it would make more sense to lock the thread rather than delete it. That was people like me, who have no idea what happened except by reading other's interrpretations, could catch up. Since I don't know what was said, I can only assume CC didn't delete it to please RCCL, because that would seem to stifle free speech on the boards.

I enjoy reading about others vacation experiences, and I guess I missed a doozy this time! It seems it worked out for Bsan, except for missing the cruise, so that's something, I guess.

why would the original thread have been deleted?

regarding the first post in this new thread: what a load of crap.

there is a fraud being perpetuated here and i think we have a right to know by whom.

what in the hell is going on?

we come here for honesty and not fraud.

why would the original thread have been deleted?

Who knows why 'the powers that be' decided to 'poof' it? :confused: It seems like threads get 'poofed' here pretty often actually.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me? I know that the original thread about this was poofed yesterday. But, I am certain there was another thread discussing RCCL's cryptic message, which seems to have disappeared. Does RCCL really have that much influence on what is discussed on these boards? Just curious.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me? I know that the original thread about this was poofed yesterday. But, I am certain there was another thread discussing RCCL's cryptic message, which seems to have disappeared. Does RCCL really have that much influence on what is discussed on these boards? Just curious.

Yes, there was another thread started about this earlier today (I remember posting to it), and I can't find it either. Poof!

Isn't RCI a major sponsor of these boards? (Meaning they pay $$$ out for website hosting, bandwith, etc.) So, yes I think the administrators try to keep them happy....probably with good reason. :)

"Royal Caribbean nor its agents were involved in the events that lead to statements made by Cruise Critic member Bsan1221 on June 29, 2005.

It is very unfortunate that Betty and her family were victims of Fraud, a problem that is vastly growing as technology advances...

What is Internet Fraud?

The term "Internet fraud" refers generally to any type of fraud scheme that uses one or more components of the Internet - such as chat rooms, e-mail, message boards, or Web sites - to present fraudulent solicitations to prospective victims, to conduct fraudulent transactions, or to transmit the proceeds of fraud to financial institutions or to other connected with the scheme..."

Let's see if I remember correctly... Betty said she was told her reservation (made & paid a couple of weeks before her cruise), as well as two other locals she did not know, were canceled and other pax put in their place. She said she did not know about her cancellation until she called 2 days before her cruise just to check on her docs that were to be picked up dockside the day of her cruise. Yes, she said she did have a "Friends & Family" discount, but that was not the issue. Betty said she was told by a RCI supervisor it appeared a RCI employee had made the cancellations and put family members in as the new pax. She also said that she was told that RCI would be investigating the situation. She said she was to be given a refund & a substantial credit for a future cruise.

It appears to me the investigation discovered some sort of Internet fraud and the cancellations and re-bookings may have been done by a hacker. I can see why the thread was deleted, especially if some sort of charges are to be filed.

brn2crz did start another thread and she felt it would be more appropriate than the sticky and even gave me a sharp response as to why there were two threads on the subject.

Instead of deleting the thread I wish the mods had just merged the two. That happens often with duplicate threads on other boards.

Maybe if someone who was not authorized to be involved with reservations got in and changed/cancelled reservations, that could be fraud. I suppose it could be an employee of some other kind, or maybe just a hacker?

"Royal Caribbean nor its agents were involved in the events that lead to statements made by Cruise Critic member Bsan1221 on June 29' date=' 2005.

[b']It is very unfortunate that Betty and her family were victims of Fraud, a problem that is vastly growing as technology advances...[/b]

What is Internet Fraud?

The term "Internet fraud" refers generally to any type of fraud scheme that uses one or more components of the Internet - such as chat rooms, e-mail, message boards, or Web sites - to present fraudulent solicitations to prospective victims, to conduct fraudulent transactions, or to transmit the proceeds of fraud to financial institutions or to other connected with the scheme..."

Let's see if I remember correctly... Betty said she was told her reservation (made & paid a couple of weeks before her cruise), as well as two other locals she did not know, were canceled and other pax put in their place. She said she did not know about her cancellation until she called 2 days before her cruise just to check on her docs that were to be picked up dockside the day of her cruise. Yes, she said she did have a "Friends & Family" discount, but that was not the issue. Betty said she was told by a RCI supervisor it appeared a RCI employee had made the cancellations and put family members in as the new pax. She also said that she was told that RCI would be investigating the situation. She said she was to be given a refund & a substantial credit for a future cruise.

It appears to me the investigation discovered some sort of Internet fraud and the cancellations and re-bookings may have been done by a hacker. I can see why the thread was deleted, especially if some sort of charges are to be filed.

I think you are right.

RCCL is probably putting this out to say that fraud was committed against them and Betty. I don't think they would make a statement that reopens old wounds if it were somehow their fault. If they did that would most definitely be bad business.

Betty said she was told by a RCI supervisor it appeared a RCI employee had made the cancellations and put family members in as the new pax. She also said that she was told that RCI would be investigating the situation. She said she was to be given a refund & a substantial credit for a future cruise.

"Royal Caribbean nor its agents were involved in the events that lead to statements made by Cruise Critic member Bsan1221"

It's the "events that lead to the statements" that's getting me. Who was it that told Betty her cruise was cancelled, before she would even post her angst?

I guess what they are saying is that someone hacked into RCI's system, changed the names on the stateroom and used Betty's money to their benefit. That might explain why she never got a refund to her credit card. If that is the case it doesn't make me feel too comfortable that their system was hacked into and what are they doing to put further security in to protect our personal information?

Also, according to Betty it was RCI that made the statement that an employee had caused the change in reservation. Apparently their investigation found out differently or they think we'd be happier with an unknown boogeyman than thinking an employee was messing with our records.

Thought the other thread was a more appropriate place to post these musings and questions but guess the mods thought differently.

I guess what they are saying is that someone hacked into RCI's system, changed the names on the stateroom and used Betty's money to their benefit.

I would have thought that except it states that "RCI was not involved in the events that lead TO THE STATEMENTS...."

IMO, if RCI's system was hacked into, they were certainly involved, and were part of the events, and it puts us all at a higher risk. Yet, this post doesn't mention that RCI was part of the fraud, or a victim to it.:confused: :confused:

I'm gonna wait for more of the story before I end up putting my whole foot in my mouth.

What bothers me more than the RCCL statement, is the fact the CC poofed 2 threads WITHOUT explanation. Why would they do that if it wasn't from RCCL influence?? Now THAT really bothers me!!! :mad:

LarryF

What bothers me more than the RCCL statement, is the fact the CC poofed 2 threads WITHOUT explanation. Why would they do that if it wasn't from RCCL influence?? Now THAT really bothers me!!! :mad:

LarryF

Although it is against community guidelines to discuss *poofed* threads, I will say this.

The original thread was poofed for reasons that had nothing to do with the original topic. It had to do with "other" comments within the thread.

I posted to the original thread and stated that I wondered what would have happened if the OP just showed up at the pier, without knowing her reservation had been cancelled. When I went to check back a few hours later, the thread was gone. Up until that point, nothing derogatory had been said IMO.

It does sound like someone tapped into RCCL system and changed some reservations. That would explain why OP was not notified of her cancellation.

The RCCL rep could have thought one of the agents changed the three reservations, because an agents name was fraudulently placed with the reservation. Doesn't make me feel very good about RCCL's system.

Although it is against community guidelines to discuss *poofed* threads, I will say this.

The original thread was poofed for reasons that had nothing to do with the original topic. It had to do with "other" comments within the thread.

That might fly except CC certainly has the capability of removing individual "other" comments within a thread without deleting the entire thread. They can and do indeed do this quite often. When a whole thread goes poof, it is because they WANT the whole thread to go poof.

We read what CC and the cruise companies want us to read here. That piece of truth should always be kept in mind when one is gathering information from a profit making site such as this. It doesn't mean that you can't take away some useful information. Just don't take anything at face value. Double check anything really important to you from other sources as well.

RCI really messed up here with this sticky is my opinion.

Just FYI......The OP asked us to remove her thread.....There's no cover up.:rolleyes: ..and we'll always do that even if it's the best thread on the board.

Just FYI......The OP asked us to remove her thread.....There's no cover up.:rolleyes: ..and we'll always do that even if it's the best thread on the board.

You are referring to the OP of the situation referred to in the sticky? Not the OP of the other thread that discussed the sticky?

Randy,

Thank you for the explaination.

That pretty much explains what's going on......in more ways than one.

LarryF