Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LauraS

*An Important Message From Royal Caribbean

Host Randy.....are you saying that the OP of the thread with regard to her cancelled cruise,asked for her thread to be removed?

Elizanessie

Just FYI......The OP asked us to remove her thread.....There's no cover up.:rolleyes: ..and we'll always do that even if it's the best thread on the board.

I was under the impression that :rolleyes: meant "rolled eyes/sarcastic". I don't think that this is an appropriate response from a board moderator to CC members. If a moderator thinks that certain members have gotten the wrong impression or are making incorrect assumptions about a situation, then a simple, respectful clarification is the professional way to respond. IMHO.

Here's what happened.

Bsan1221 asked that we remove her thread. We did so as is our policy.

The concerned folks at Royal Caribbean contacted me at Cruise Critic and asked that I ask Bsan1221 to contact management at a certain phone number. I did that, ensuring the privacy of Bsan1221 as is our policy.

Royal Caribbean contacted me and asked to me to post a message to you all. I did it verbatim.

End of story. At least as far as I'm concerned.

Laura

If I were "the powers that be," I think I'd prefer to let my customers think I had a rogue employee rather than give them pause to consider that I might instead have a hacker in the process of defrauding them. In other words, I would have said nothing. :)

This whole thing is very strange and has been from the beginning. I can't imagine Betty asking to have the thread removed.

I do remember her saying she wished the whole thing would just "go away", so I can see where she might have just done that, and asked for it to be removed, especially when people started prodding her for information regarding her "compensation".

We will just have to wait for her return to either here or "there".

Just FYI......The OP asked us to remove her thread.....There's no cover up.:rolleyes: ..and we'll always do that even if it's the best thread on the board.
Bsan1221 asked that we remove her thread. We did so as is our policy.

Is this policy for all message boards within Cruise Critic or just RCCL's board? The reason I ask is that a long time ago, on another CC message board, a thread of mine got out of hand. People were down right mean and disrespectful! I sent messages/alerts (more than twice) to the Cruise Critic moderators of that board, I even posted within the thread that it be removed and it never was. Thankfully, the thread eventually died (until someone brought up the subject again in a new thread :rolleyes: .) Once again, although I was not the originator of that thread, I begged and pleaded with the moderators to remove the post. It never was. :mad: I discontinued posting over there and almost left Cruise Critic.

Is this policy for all message boards within Cruise Critic or just RCCL's board? The reason I ask is that a long time ago, on another CC message board, a thread of mine got out of hand. People were down right mean and disrespectful! I sent messages/alerts (more than twice) to the Cruise Critic moderators of that board, I even posted within the thread that it be removed and it never was. Thankfully, the thread eventually died (until someone brought up the subject again in a new thread :rolleyes: .) Once again, although I was not the originator of that thread, I begged and pleaded with the moderators to remove the post. It never was. :mad: I discontinued posting over there and almost left Cruise Critic.

I know what you mean, I have specifically asked that flaming post towards me be removed, and those request have gone unanswered. I guess it depends on who you are....and apparently, if one is opinionated they do not rate, as to say, they deserve what they get, so the flaming post are allowed to stay. At least that's been my experience.

if one is opinionated they do not rate, as to say, they deserve what they get,
Thing is, I was not being opinionated and had not even cruised with that line yet. I had posted an unusual problem that had come up, that might prevent me from cruising. I asked for advice and the more I tried to explain what was going on, the nastier people became. I was made fun of, etc, etc. :(

Well I have been away from the boards since Thursday and come back to this. I am more confused than ever on what actually happened. Guess we will have to see if Betty has any comments on this.

Gordon....

On a happier note, how was your cruise! Make sure you tell all!

Guest OBAYbee

In defense of CC I have to admit, when my thread "Missing in Aruba" became a debate of American politics and a who is to blame thread I asked the thread be closed.

The purpose of that thread was to get word out to cruise line passengers vacationing in Aruba so that they would remember to keep their eyes and ears open.

The thread had about 8,000 views so it served it's purpose by the time I asked it be closed. The thread wasn't poofed, just closed though.

Host Jacquelyn was kind enough to do so at my request that very afternoon.

Gordon....

On a happier note, how was your cruise! Make sure you tell all!

Pete, it was great. Just got home. Off the ship this morning at 7:30 and was able to catch an earlier flight from Orlando. Great food and crew once again. The weather was a little warm and humid but overall we could not have asked for better weather.

We had a little wait to get on the ship Friday as a passenger on the last cruise left a bag outside of the terminal and the bomb squad was called in but RCI still got us in around 1:00 and on with no problems.

I requested that one of my posts be removed a couple of weeks ago. It was a response to a particular thread and when I came back and read it later I felt it sounded a bit confrontational. I politely asked that it be removed and gave my reason for asking. I received no response and the post was not removed.:confused:

My guess for the thread disappearing was that there were some legal ramifications associated with information posted on that thread.

D.

OK, the thread is gone after 1000s of responses. It was getting totally out of hand; no one knows or will ever know what the final outcome was, whether fruad occurred from someplace, whether her cabin was really given to an employee or if indeed she did get a free cruise. Let's just forget it for now and get on with other things.. LET IT DIE FOR HEAVENS SAKE!!!!!!

NMNita

Based on what the moderators have said, it appears Betty was given compensation with a nondisclosure clause, therefore Betty requested the thread be withdrawn. That is speculation on my part, but seems to best fit the circumstances. :confused:

What strikes me as odd from this thread (i did not read the OP thread) was that she was supposed to pick up her docs at the pier the day of the cruise. Maybe that was part of the fraud, I do not know ANYONE who has had the opportunity to do that, what if there is an error???? Is this a practice RCI does for family and friends?

Guest OBAYbee
What strikes me as odd from this thread (i did not read the OP thread) was that she was supposed to pick up her docs at the pier the day of the cruise. Maybe that was part of the fraud, I do not know ANYONE who has had the opportunity to do that, what if there is an error???? Is this a practice RCI does for family and friends?

Apparently it is common place to pick them up at the pier.

Example being my FOS cruise in June 2006. I reserved for 16 family members and had I not checked back with RCCL about an overcharge on the deposit I might have never known that they were assigned to be picked up at the pier. Nobody asked me how I wished to have them delivered pier or otherwise. Even when I called RCCL they thought it was unusual because it was 17 months away. I was told that most pick ups at the pier are "usually not always" made with in 30 days of a cruise.

I think she was supposed to pick up her docs at the pier because she booked after final payment was due. I do believe this happens frequently when you book at the "last minute."

Oops, sorry oBAYbee, I see you

have said the same thing.

I was asked by the management at Royal Caribbean Cruise Line to share this important information with Cruise Critic members who are following the thread entitled "Royal Caribbean cancelled my cruise", posted by Bsan1221:

"Royal Caribbean nor its agents were involved in the events that lead to statements made by Cruise Critic member Bsan1221 on June 29, 2005.

It is very unfortunate that Betty and her family were victims of Fraud, a problem that is vastly growing as technology advances.

What is Telemarketing Fraud?

Telemarketing Fraud

While there are many legitimate companies that use the telephone for marketing, consumers and business lose millions of dollars to telemarketing fraud each year. It's sometimes hard to tell the difference between reputable telemarketers and criminals who use the phone to rob people. You can protect yourself by learning how to recognize the danger signs of fraud. If you are a victim or attempted victim of telemarketing fraud, it's important to report the scam quickly so that law enforcement agencies can shut the fraudulent operation down.

What is Internet Fraud?

The term "Internet fraud" refers generally to any type of fraud scheme that uses one or more components of the Internet - such as chat rooms, e-mail, message boards, or Web sites - to present fraudulent solicitations to prospective victims, to conduct fraudulent transactions, or to transmit the proceeds of fraud to financial institutions or to other connected with the scheme.

If you use the Internet with any frequency, you'll soon see that people and things online tend to move, as the saying goes, on "Internet time." For most people, that phrase simply means that things seem to happen more quickly on the Internet -- business decisions, information-searching, personal interactions, to name a few - and to happen before, during, or after ordinary "bricks-and-mortar" business hours.

Unfortunately, people who engage in fraud often operate in "Internet time" as well. They seek to take advantage of the Internet's unique capabilities -- for example, by sending e-mail messages worldwide in seconds, or posting Web site information that is readily accessible from anywhere in the world - to carry out various types of fraudulent schemes more quickly than was possible with many fraud schemes in the past.

Since February 1999, when the Department of Justice established its Internet Fraud Initiative, the federal government has been expanding its efforts to combine criminal prosecution with coordinated analysis and investigation as part of a comprehensive approach to combating Internet fraud".

Laura

Hello everyone:

I am finally back after doing a quick getaway to Busch Gardens this weekend.

Just to try to explain things to everyone without going into to much detail, because I cant, here goes.

After the thread was posted I was contacted 2 days later through Laura (Community Manager) from the RCI board . In her email Laura gave me a telephone number to call and the name of a person over at RCI who wanted to speak to me. I contacted that person and after an entire day trying to figure out what was going on I can say it was a case of fraud. Now what does that mean??? Well its very complicated and I cannot diclose all the details here.

In regards to asking the thread to be pulled, yes I asked for it to be taken down. It was agreed to be taken down between myself and RCI.

I understand many of you will be confused and this is very vague but that is all I can tell you as of right now. I'll try to answer as many questions as possible.