Disapointed with 5 Star Mariner Program

cloudchaser

There are two problems that I often have when I cruise no matter what room category we have booked. First, it seems like filling the ice bucket is hit or miss. On our last 35 day cruise it was filled maybe 1/4 of the days. I sometimes walked up to the Lido to get ice. Secondly, I almost always have to ask for a new laundry list. I don't understand why they don't bring a new one when they deliver the clean clothes. These are petty issues but I don't like to bother the busy cabin stewards with repeated requests. Does anyone else have these minor problems?

I am sorry that I am off topic. I was just thinking about the service that we have received in our different cabins.

Oh, and regarding the original post...I think the HAL would appreciate his/her suggestions on how to improve their service.

On the last two cruises on HAL there was no laundry list in our cabin when we arrived and on the last one no bag either. We had to request them and in one instance we had to call twice for one. On both occasions no list was left after our usage. That is the cabin stewards' responsibility and evidence of the cracks appearing in the overall service quality.

On the last cruise we too did not receive ice on 2 days after the morning room clean up. That also is the cabin steward's duty.

I learned years ago to speak to the cabin steward on the first day out and insist the ice bucket be filled every day between 4:30 and 5 PM. Only on the last 2 cruises were they tardy on a couple of occasions. Another thing I learned several years ago was to search out the cabin stewards' ice room and to help myself when necessary.

I do report these service shortcomings to the front desk, otherwise how will they be aware of problems.

Where did you get your information that people staying in the PS and Neptune Suites get to "rub elbows with the officers"? We rarely see them. At the Suite cocktail party we see them -- at the awards ceremony we see them. Other than that it is rare for us to see an officer.

We were not invited to a suite luncheon (which is a suite perk) and when we questioned the concierges about this -- we were practically treated like dirt after that.

We have mentioned a couple of times about a meal we didn't like -- nothing happened.

Where do you get your information?

The officers don't come to you, you have to go to them. You have to be outgoing (pushy?). Mention to the concierge, cruise director, party planner and similar employees that you hope to meet the captain and other officers and would love to have one at your table. Put the request in a comment card. Keep at it. When you meet the captain at some function he has to attend, monopolize him and be sure you and your spouse call each other by name often enough that the officer can remember your names. "He remembered my name" is equivalent to "we're friends" to some people.

The captain socializes as part of his job. I would rather chat with fellow cruisers that are not being paid to be nice to me.

Whogo, I would never do what you're suggesting. Why? :confused:

That's not why I would book a suite.

Roz

I never said anything about a suite. My methods are for any cruiser that wants to hang out with the officers.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the input. You are certainly clear on your feelings. I’m sorry I made you sad by writing to the president. If I have a problem with my cabin I speak to the cabin steward, with my meal I speak to the waiter, with my luggage shipping I speak to customer service. I go to the person who can answer my concern and influence the situation. For a system-wide concern as the Mariner Society, I go to the President. And I didn’t complain to him. You don’t get very far complaining. I expressed my disappointment, gave my reasons, offered alternatives, and ended with an expression of appreciation for establishing a five star level and reading my letter. If he is a smart CEO, and I believe he is, I think he and the HA leadership want to hear the concerns and joys of their customers. I bet they even have people who follow these threads.

I spend a lot of time in the gym and using the facilities. And I love Thermal Spas. Thermal Spa packages are expensive so I ask to try it and see if it meets my needs. I have never had a problem getting a pass. Then I usually buy the package. My wife jokes that between all the gym classes and other stuff my beauty spa bill is usually the largest bill for on-board purchases (I contend it is her wine bill). I don’t see it as any different than a taste in an ice cream shop, test drive, or an invitation for a one night sail on a new ship in the port.

I think many agree that free laundry is one of the best benefits. But HA is by no means alone in offering that to loyalty cruisers. Even Carnival has free laundry for its second from the top tier VIFP members. It is limited to three bags for a seven day cruise but that is more than enough for us. But I must admit they don’t do as nice a job or fold it as nicely as HA.

We do cruise around. We have been called cruise line wanderers. We go with whoever has the best itinerary for what we want, our cruise companions, the crew, the ship and finally the price. We have a lot of cruises on Cunard, Carnival, RCL, NCL, Princess, Celebrity, Greek lines, Italian lines and one Soviet cruise liner in the 1980’s. Even the Big Red Boat for you old timers. If you read my second post you can see I clearly stated that we don’t choose cruises for the perks/gifts/benefits.

I’m sorry that you feel if I express a concern with a HA policy I should just go quietly into the night and move on to a different line. Nothing ever got better until someone saw a need for a change and said something. We’ll be on the 2014 GWV and the 2014 Grand Pacific & Far East. If you are sailing on either I hope to meet you.

Finally, nothing I wrote has the intent of being condescending, mean spirited, or sarcastic. Sometimes our posts are misconstrued. I’m smiling as I write and my intent is only to clarify your impression of what message my actions and writing are meant to convey. We can have a difference of opinion and that is perfectly fine.

Ken

A few things. To the poster who was a little irked about 4 & 5 star Mariners getting the same perks she got while in the PH, remember, they paid what you paid for your suite, but they just took a lot longer to do it. So I think they deserve the same perks. No skin off my nose.

What I wish was cruise lines do what airlines do and give you "cruisemiles" you could use to pay for a free cruise once in a while. Depending on the days or miles you could get an inside all the way up to a PH. Also you could use them to upgrade. I don't know why they don't do this. All they have is credit cards that give you OBC big deal.

Speaking of old cars.......mine is an 1984:eek: so I think I have the oldest drivable car. Our others cars are 1976, and a 1992 (our newest). Why such old cars? Well my husband is a mechanic and owns his own shop. Of course they are all Mercedes so it mitigates the stigma of driving old cars.:D

The officers don't come to you, you have to go to them. You have to be outgoing (pushy?). Mention to the concierge, cruise director, party planner and similar employees that you hope to meet the captain and other officers and would love to have one at your table. Put the request in a comment card. Keep at it. When you meet the captain at some function he has to attend, monopolize him and be sure you and your spouse call each other by name often enough that the officer can remember your names. "He remembered my name" is equivalent to "we're friends" to some people.

The captain socializes as part of his job. I would rather chat with fellow cruisers that are not being paid to be nice to me.

I guess some people would do that. Officers on a ship don't thrill me that much that I would go thru all this trouble. Some people just love to brag about how they are friends with these folks. What you say is true, they are paid to be nice. I bet most officers would rather be spending time doing what they want and not spending time with pax.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the input. You are certainly clear on your feelings. I’m sorry I made you sad by writing to the president. If I have a problem with my cabin I speak to the cabin steward, with my meal I speak to the waiter, with my luggage shipping I speak to customer service. I go to the person who can answer my concern and influence the situation. For a system-wide concern as the Mariner Society, I go to the President. And I didn’t complain to him. You don’t get very far complaining. I expressed my disappointment, gave my reasons, offered alternatives, and ended with an expression of appreciation for establishing a five star level and reading my letter. If he is a smart CEO, and I believe he is, I think he and the HA leadership want to hear the concerns and joys of their customers. I bet they even have people who follow these threads.

I spend a lot of time in the gym and using the facilities. And I love Thermal Spas. Thermal Spa packages are expensive so I ask to try it and see if it meets my needs. I have never had a problem getting a pass. Then I usually buy the package. My wife jokes that between all the gym classes and other stuff my beauty spa bill is usually the largest bill for on-board purchases (I contend it is her wine bill). I don’t see it as any different than a taste in an ice cream shop, test drive, or an invitation for a one night sail on a new ship in the port.

I think many agree that free laundry is one of the best benefits. But HA is by no means alone in offering that to loyalty cruisers. Even Carnival has free laundry for its second from the top tier VIFP members. It is limited to three bags for a seven day cruise but that is more than enough for us. But I must admit they don’t do as nice a job or fold it as nicely as HA.

We do cruise around. We have been called cruise line wanderers. We go with whoever has the best itinerary for what we want, our cruise companions, the crew, the ship and finally the price. We have a lot of cruises on Cunard, Carnival, RCL, NCL, Princess, Celebrity, Greek lines, Italian lines and one Soviet cruise liner in the 1980’s. Even the Big Red Boat for you old timers. If you read my second post you can see I clearly stated that we don’t choose cruises for the perks/gifts/benefits.

I’m sorry that you feel if I express a concern with a HA policy I should just go quietly into the night and move on to a different line. Nothing ever got better until someone saw a need for a change and said something. We’ll be on the 2014 GWV and the 2014 Grand Pacific & Far East. If you are sailing on either I hope to meet you.

Finally, nothing I wrote has the intent of being condescending, mean spirited, or sarcastic. Sometimes our posts are misconstrued. I’m smiling as I write and my intent is only to clarify your impression of what message my actions and writing are meant to convey. We can have a difference of opinion and that is perfectly fine.

Ken

I see nothing wrong with expressing your opinions to anyone you see fit. Many people on this board do try to make you feel bad if your opinions are different then theirs, like you're asking for too much and you s/b grateful to be alive. If you get any feedback from HAL, I hope you'll share it but don't blame you if you don't.

Where did you get your information that people staying in the PS and Neptune Suites get to "rub elbows with the officers"? We rarely see them. At the Suite cocktail party we see them -- at the awards ceremony we see them. Other than that it is rare for us to see an officer.

We were not invited to a suite luncheon (which is a suite perk) and when we questioned the concierges about this -- we were practically treated like dirt after that.

We have mentioned a couple of times about a meal we didn't like -- nothing happened.

Where do you get your information?

There are certainly plenty of posts about the suite cocktail party and the VIP cocktail party and the opportunities to chat with the officers. For some people, that is a perk of being in a suite.

And to be honest, I got a few emails from people when I posted about our Zaandam upsell back a couple of years ago, telling me that we really SHOULD attend those parties, for precisely that reason.

KK, I've only travelled in suites a couple of times, but I am relating my personal experiences about differences in service levels between the suites and the other onboard accommodation. So that is where I got my information.

For the other posters who have commented that their experience is the same regardless of where they are sleeping :) that's great. We are back to the OV category for our next cruise, and I hope your experience will be our experience, too! :)

I guess some people would do that. Officers on a ship don't thrill me that much that I would go thru all this trouble. Some people just love to brag about how they are friends with these folks. What you say is true, they are paid to be nice. I bet most officers would rather be spending time doing what they want and not spending time with pax.

Well, darn, now ya tell me :D

I am not sure what benefit 'rubbing elbows with the officers' is.

Frankly we do not care, other than a passing hello.

Maybe HAL should make that a big perk for attaining 5 star...get to spent 10 minutes with an officer (other than dealing with a hotel complaint or a medical ailment). It won't cost them a dime. No value to us but maybe to others.

There are certainly plenty of posts about the suite cocktail party and the VIP cocktail party and the opportunities to chat with the officers. For some people, that is a perk of being in a suite.

And to be honest, I got a few emails from people when I posted about our Zaandam upsell back a couple of years ago, telling me that we really SHOULD attend those parties, for precisely that reason.

KK, I've only travelled in suites a couple of times, but I am relating my personal experiences about differences in service levels between the suites and the other onboard accommodation. So that is where I got my information.

For the other posters who have commented that their experience is the same regardless of where they are sleeping :) that's great. We are back to the OV category for our next cruise, and I hope your experience will be our experience, too! :)

The Captain came into the Suite cocktail party and described the itinerary in great detail on the Oosterdam. I thought that was strange because I think most folks knew where we were going:D. As soon as that was over they were gone, no socializing. I've never been the type to strike up a conversation with officers because it seems like work to me so I was pretty ok with them going.

Maybe HAL should make that a big perk for attaining 5 star...get to spent 10 minutes with an officer (other than dealing with a hotel complaint or a medical ailment). It won't cost them a dime. No value to us but maybe to others.

Too funny! I bet some folks would eat that up. I'm with you on that.

Some friends of mine get all insulted if they don't meet the Captain or don't see him around the ship talking to passengers. I always figured the Captain has better things to do, like running the ship and keeping us safe.

JMO.

No kidding:).

I don't get it either.... but then I'm sure a lot of people don't understand why I stand at the back of the ship and stare at the wake :) Different strokes and all that.

I don't get it either.... but then I'm sure a lot of people don't understand why I stand at the back of the ship and stare at the wake :) Different strokes and all that.

I like staring at the wake too. OK, that's going to be our "perk" now:D;).

Some friends of mine get all insulted if they don't meet the Captain or don't see him around the ship talking to passengers. I always figured the Captain has better things to do, like running the ship and keeping us safe.

JMO.

bolding mine

Yeah, that's what I figure, too ;)

... but people are all different, and what is important to me probably is not at ALL important to many others. If someone wants to talk to the Captain, good on 'em, I guess. 'Cuz it doesn't affect my enjoyment of my cruise.

No kidding:).

For sure! I wouldn't want him standing there hobnobbing with me over cocktails and have the ship run up on some rocks and turn over like the Costa ship!! He needs to be up there in the "wheelhouse" keeping the ship going in the right direction and searching the horizon for icebergs......

I don't want to be in the water clinging to wreckage, and blowing my whistle looking for a rescue! :D

Pardon me all to hell - I stand corrected on Pressing only -- not Dry Cleaning.:p

LOL! I guess you were confusing the 4&5 star benefits with Neptune suite benefits, eh? Heck, I get my first Neptune suite next week - I'm thinking of taking an extra suitcase with all my stuff that needs drycleaning so I can get it done for free;) (Guess I better clarify for the benefit of some that I'm JOKING!)

As to cocktail parties, VIP stuff etc... I can't think of anything worse than standing around making small talk with officers who would love to be anywhere but there. You'll never find me at one of those events.

We are not pushy people.

At the Suite get-together -- there is a line of people waiting to meet the captain and other officers. On our last cruises we have noticed that after they feel the majority of the people have arrived at the cocktail party -- they leave.

The same thing at the suite lunch - we all are in line to say hello -- are escorted to tables. Once everyone is there -- they are gone.

We have noticed more and more over the years that new captains, hotel managers, etc. do not socialize like they used to.

LOL! I guess you were confusing the 4&5 star benefits with Neptune suite benefits, eh? Heck, I get my first Neptune suite next week - I'm thinking of taking an extra suitcase with all my stuff that needs drycleaning so I can get it done for free;) (Guess I better clarify for the benefit of some that I'm JOKING!)

As to cocktail parties, VIP stuff etc... I can't think of anything worse than standing around making small talk with officers who would love to be anywhere but there. You'll never find me at one of those events.

I really don't give a fig what people on CC think of me, Annette. I'd pack that suit case. Just please don't wear your bath robe in the Neptune Lounge. I always pack a kaftan of my own to wear to such public places, even the spa.;)

Archived