Porto, Portugal

Will be there on September 14 on Wind Surf, and am seeking ideas for getting from the ship's dock at Leixoes into downtown Porto. I'm hoping for a shuttle from the ship (will ask once on board), or a HO-HO bus tour if one stops near the dock.

Any information will be appreciated!

Will be there on September 14 on Wind Surf, and am seeking ideas for getting from the ship's dock at Leixoes into downtown Porto. I'm hoping for a shuttle from the ship (will ask once on board), or a HO-HO bus tour if one stops near the dock.

We were in Porto on a cruise stop a couple of weeks ago and took public transportation. The port had a free shuttle from dock to port entrance. We walked less than 10 minutes to the "subway," which is really mostly above ground, and purchased an all day "andante" card for 7 euros per person. The trip into town took a bit of time, though, about 45 minutes. Other people on our ship took a taxi, about 25 minutes, for less than 15 euros. There is a hoho bus that has a stop near the port (http://www.yellowbustours.com/en/cities/oporto/maps/).

Enjoy the day.

If Windstar doesn't provide a shuttle, I think I'll use the Yellow Bus Ho-Ho -- or maybe use a taxi. We're only in port until 1:00 p.m., so it's a very short day; wish we were going to be there longer. There's an excursion to Guimaraes that sounds interesting, but then there would be NO time in Porto. Anyone have experience making that choice?

There is a wonderful tram system that you can access but it is about a 10 min walk from the port. The tram is above ground until it gets close to the city and then becomes a subway and then comes back above ground to cross the river (to the side where all the Port houses are located). We loved using this inexpensive and fast public transit system.

Hank

Hi Xoe,

Looks like we are on the same ship. I can't seem to find a roll call anymore...Windstar Roll Calls are few & far between.

Because of our limited Time in Oporto we plan on taking a taxi and heading out to a port house for some tasting. We were to take the Windsurf Barcelona to Lisbon with a week in the Duoro Valley last November but had to cancel last minute. My husband is a port wine fan so that will be our concentration while in Oporto.

Would love to share a cab if you are interested.

MTJtraveller. Our cruise roll call seemed to fade away quite some time ago -- I think the last post was mine . . .

Sharing a taxi sounds good, although I'm thinking of heading into downtown -- maybe I could be dropped off? My husband dislikes long flights (detests might be a more apt description), and I am traveling solo.

If you'd like to share more ideas, my email is freda at whidbey.com (the "at" symbol can be picked up by scammers so I won't use it here).

Hank, thanks for your tip about the tram.

What Hank calls a tram is an above ground Porto metro http://www.metrodoporto.pt/en/ Here (in Toronto) they call it LRT (light rail transit). Tram in Toronto is surface vehicle.

Link to metro map doesn't work on the main page so here is working one. http://www.metrodoporto.pt/en/PageGen.aspx?WMCM_PaginaId=16975 Closest station to port is "Senhor de Matosinhos" (blue line). If you get off at Bolhao you'll end up on main pedestrian shopping street Rua Santa Catarina. Majestic cafe is on it. Going south (downhill) on St.Catarina will eventually lead to the riverfront Cais Ribeira, Dom Luis bridge & port houses in Gaia (across the river).

To get the to river faster switch train at Trinidade & get of at Sao Bento station (yellow line); building has very lovely mosaics inside. Taxis in Porto are reasonable but unfortunately they promptly get stuck in traffic downtown (with meter running) so sometimes it turns out no so reasonable after all.

If I read fare chart correctly "Senhor de Matosinhos" is in Zone 3 which means 1.45€ for single fare & 5€ - for 24 hr fare to downtown. Andante card has to be purchased for 0.50€. There is also tourist Andante for 7€ (can be used for airport). Card has to validated from yellow machine. Metro has honor system but tickets are checked frequently.

Agree and thank hkto. What I called a "tram" does look like what many folks would call a light rail train....although once it goes below ground it would seem to be more like a subway. :) Call it what you want, but its pretty obvious that it is a transportation system and its a fast, cheap and convenient way to get around.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

We did this recently

There was a ship's shuttle bus to the Tragedy at Sea monument, from where it was a 400 yard walk to the tram stop, where we got an all-day ticket for about €6. It's about a 15-20 minute trip to Porto. All the best, Tony

Archived