Asia on Celebrity Millenium in Jan 2014

florence11

Hi

We are going on Millenium in Jan 2014, our first stop is 3 days Dubai, 3 days Singapore then we cruise to Lombok, Komodo, Bali, Malaysia and Thailand. We really need help on currency can we just use American dollars or would it be better with local currency? Also are we allowed to take a bottle of gin or cinzano bianco on board (my sister in-laws favourite) or peach schnapps?

Thanks

Here's a thread going on about local currencies in Far East ports

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1889651

Having just returned from an Asia cruise that ended in Singapore where we spent a few extra days, and then flying on to Bangkok for a few days on my own, here's what I'd recommend -

Singapore - I didn't see a single vendor that accepted USD. Every sign everywhere was for SGD. So, I'd recommend you exchanging into SGD. If you arrive into the new Marina Bay Cruise Center, on the second floor, at the top of the escalator once you pass through customs you'll see a money exchanger and an ATM. Easy way to get SGD. There's also money exchange booths all over town.

Thailand - so super touristy places may be willing to take USD, but less likely these days that it used to be in the past. You'd be best to exchange for Thai baht. If you're in Bangkok, you won't find a taxi driver, BTS station or MRT station that will take anything except for Thai baht. There may be rare instances where street stalls take USD, but again, not worth wasting your time searching for places that except USD.

We did the same tour in January this year - as jstducky is writing SGD for Singapore - the other places USD or SGD - we might have paid a bit more using USD rather than local currency - but easier with a limited number of currencies.

This is a short 'highlight video' from our cruise:

The video does have active link to other short videos from the cruise

Thinking of maybe going on the same cruise.

In Thailand you need baths, I have been there many times. But if you are left with some money, you can exchange it in the other ports.

I need help for the excursions, dont know if we should get a privat guide or not!

Here is a short overview

We did Singapore on our own

The following was arranged through Celebrity - I sensed that local tour operators were not experienced enough - with the risk of being late for departure.

• Lombok Island Tour
  • Komodo Dragon adventure and Kampung Komodo/Pink beach
  • Bali Way of life
  • Kuala Lumpur on you own (bus arranged through celebrity)
  • Penang Island tour
  • Phuket, no tour - we did walk through Patong beach

You can get more details at my blog - including videos from the tours

http://gemsofsoutheastasia.blogspot.dk/

• 1 month later...

Hi, we will be doing the Celebrity Gems of Indonesia on January 19th, 2014.. I would appreciate hearing on how you would rate the tours that you took through the cruiseline. we are debating whether to take private tours. We would also like to know why you chose the cruiseline tours. Thanks for the help.

Here is a short overview

We did Singapore on our own

The following was arranged through Celebrity - I sensed that local tour operators were not experienced enough - with the risk of being late for departure.

• Lombok Island Tour
  • Komodo Dragon adventure and Kampung Komodo/Pink beach
  • Bali Way of life
  • Kuala Lumpur on you own (bus arranged through celebrity)
  • Penang Island tour
  • Phuket, no tour - we did walk through Patong beach

You can get more details at my blog - including videos from the tours

http://gemsofsoutheastasia.blogspot.dk/

Archived