Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grenowoods

Jul. 3, 2005 - Adventurer of the Seas

Day 1 – Jul 3

Greetings from the Adventurer of the Seas

Today started early at 3:45AM. We headed to Buffalo for our flight and encountered a very unfriendly Homeland Security agent when we crossed the border. They know that they have control over you and they can treat you however they want. He obviously couldn’t find anything wrong with us so he had to let us through. I have encountered this before and cannot understand why they need to treat us this way.

By the way, we is me and my 18 year old son, Brandon. For the last five years, I have taken all three of my sons on a cruise. This year, my two younger sons decided to stay home.

We caught our US Air flight on time. Our connection in Philadelphia wasn’t too bad. Once we got to San Juan we transferred to the ship in record time and once we were at the ship we checked in, also in record time. The ship is beautiful, as is the rest of the Voyageuer class ships. Our first day experience was exceptional. Our table in the dining room was exactly the same one when we were on the Mariner. On that cruise we were with some really nice folks from Pennsylvania. Go figure, we got the same table and a bunch of nice folks from Pennsylvania again.

Brandon doesn’t know it, but we are doing the helicopter tour over St. Thomas and St. John on Monday. Is he ever going to be surprised.

We’re going to head back to the ship for lunch and then head up for our traditional trip up the cable car to Paradise Point.

Stu.

Monday – St. Thomas

My sixth visit here – my favourite Caribbean destination.

Brandon couldn’t understand why I was dragging him out of bed at 8 after we stayed up rather late. We had breakfast and went out to the dock – he was very sleepy so he didn’t ask many questions. Was he ever surprised when he discovered that we were going on the helicopter tour. Brandon got to sit up front with the pilot - he took all the pictures. The tour was spectacular and the weather was perfect. We flew over and around St. Thomas, St. John and the British Virgin Islands. After the flight we spent some time downtown shopping and then went back to the ship for lunch. It started to rain as we ate lunch. After lunch the sun came out and we went up to Paradise Point, kind of a tradition now. We had a few cold ones and, as usual, I hoped that I had won the lottery on Saturday night. It started to rain again as we left St. Thomas – perfect timing once again.

It was formal night tonight. We had another wonderful dinner. Our servers are terrific and we are really enjoying the company of our table mates from Pennsylvania. After dinner we went to the Captains Welcome Aboard Reception. The show tonight was very funny – brothers Mario & Daniel. We are looking forward to the adult comedy show with Tim Jones at 12:15AM. He did the comedy last night and was very funny. Now we’re off to check out what’s happening in the Viking Crown Lounge or the English pub on deck 5.

It’s been another great day.

Stu.

Thank you so much for posting and for saying how beautiful the ship is. We cruise on her in August and I was excited before and now I can hardly contain myself. Looking forward to reading your next installment

Tuesday – St. Maarten

Another favourite Caribbean destination.

Last night the adult comedy was very good. I ran into Gene and Debbie from Texas who I had met online through the meet and mingle board. They are joining us tomorrow on an Eco Tour in Antigua. Our meet and mingle never reached 25 members so I’ll be running into various folks in Antigua and St. Lucia.

This morning we went downtown, to check on the renovations, on the water taxi. I guess they aren’t done, but what they have done is very nice. We walked around for a while and then tried to catch a cab to the Sunset Beach bar near the airport so we could watch the planes take off and land. There was an Air France jumbo that was supposed to arrive around 1:30PM. When we asked a taxi driver to take us there he told us that is was closed down because they hadn’t paid their taxes. Sigh. I confirmed this with another taxi driver. We went back to the ship, changed into our bathing suits and headed up to Orient Beach. We had a fabulous seafood lunch. Just as we started eating it started raining really hard. By the time we were done the sun was our again so we headed into the ocean to play in the waves for half an hour – the water was pretty rough so there were some good waves. That’s two days in a row that it just rained at lunch. We thought somebody was on our side. When we got back to the ship our luck ran out – it started to pour and we got soaked – fortunately we had banana marguerites in our hands.

Tonight we went to Portofinos. Mary Grace and Sylvia were fantastic as was the food. I had the filet mignon and it was superb. We went to the ice show, Cool Art Hot Ice, and it was very good as always. At the Love and Marriage Game Show I think I heard the best line yet – from the older couple. To the always asked question, what is the strangest place you have made…, female – some hotel room, male – standing up in a canoe. I think for the first time ever, the newlyweds won. Their answer to the above question, and they both got it right – yesterday, in the ocean, at Megans Bay. Hey, I flew over there yesterday. There was a pool party at 11:30 that was a lot of fun. These things are really good, the bartenders were a riot – it surprises me that RC only does it once during the cruise.

Well, I must get some sleep as we have the full day Eco Tour in Antigua on Wednesday which we are really looking forward to.

Stu and Brandon (who is asleep with his IPOD on full blast).

I am so enjoying your reports from AOS....we ( 6 of us ) flew from Ct. into Puerto Rico a day early and sailed on her 6/26! We had gorgeous weather everyday...I parasailed in St. Thomas. We also stopped in Aruba, Curacao and St. Maarten. loved Aruba, went to Palm Beach, made it to my top 10 list. Flying back home on 7/3 we could see fireworks from the sky.

Mario & Daniel (2 funny guys) were hysterical and the ice skating show was fantastic. We were disappointed in Velvet Rope. Loved being on the Promenade, great place for people watching. We ate in Vivaldi Dining Room, deck 3. Christian & Hai were our waiters.

Getting on and off ship was amazingly easy with no problems.

Our Meet & Mingle was at a most awkward time, 5pm on Monday while we had formal night dinner at 6pm, we missed pictures. By the time we met some of our fellow board members we had to leave to get changed for dinner.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation. Have a safe journey home.

Thank you so much for your reviews of the ports of call as you go along. I'm going in August and the information you supply is invaluable. Keep it coming and thanks again.:D

Please keep your reports coming! We (self, hubbie and 3 kids) are sailing the exact same itinerary July 17. Can't wait! Two of my kids are 18 and 16 - how does your son like it? Are there lots of other kids to hang with? What about tropical storm Dennis - any trouble from it? By the way, we are from Buffalo - know Hamilton very well, as well as cranky customs people. Thanks for your daily reports!;)

Thanks so much for the reports - keep them coming!

We are sailing on the AOS in January and are counting the days until the flight takes off for San Juan :)

What cabin are you in? We have booked a Grand Suite on deck 10 and are pretty excited about it!

Enjoy your cruise!

Stu - how was the eco-tour? Please keep us informed!

Vacationnut - when in August are you going?

Wednesday - Antigua

We enjoyed Eli’s Eco tour very much. Eli wasn’t there, which we knew in advance, but the staff on the boat were very friendly and knowledgeable. We sailed up the coast in the morning seeing the sights and doing the Eco thing. We stopped at an island where we were able to walk to the top and got a great view. A very memorable moment is when we stopped by an 85 year old Antiguan man, quite far from shore, on a surf board. He dives down 75 feet without the aid of flippers to catch lobster and other things that he takes back to town. We offered him a cold drink but he politely declined with a smile. We had lunch then headed to a natural bridge. We climbed through some caves to the top of the bridge, crossed the bridge and came back down again – pretty cool. We then sailed to an area where we snorkelled for half an hour. A very enjoyable day.

Dinner was great, as usual. We went to the Welcome Back event and listened to the captain recite the entire history of RC, including dates, from memory. Very impressive. The show was good, Can’t Stop the Rock.

I absolutely intended to get to bed early tonight but I ran into a Scotsman and an Englishman who have sons working on the ship. Suffice it to say that bedtime will be late. I will be sleepy tomorrow as we have to get up at 6:30.

Stu and Brandon

Guest OBAYbee

Grenowoods, I have enjoyed reading your review as it happens. We sail next month on AOS and I am starting to get excited about it now!

Have fun and stay safe!

Please keep your reports coming! We (self, hubbie and 3 kids) are sailing the exact same itinerary July 17. Can't wait! Two of my kids are 18 and 16 - how does your son like it? Are there lots of other kids to hang with? What about tropical storm Dennis - any trouble from it? By the way, we are from Buffalo - know Hamilton very well, as well as cranky customs people. Thanks for your daily reports!;)

As Brandon is now 18 he's not really hanging around with other kids as he has in previous years. He is joining me on the excursions, going to the gym and just hanging with me mostly. He is definitely enjoying himself - it's his eigth cruise. I hadn't heard about the tropical storm until today. I don't think it came anywhere near us.

Stu.

Thanks so much for the reports - keep them coming!

We are sailing on the AOS in January and are counting the days until the flight takes off for San Juan :)

What cabin are you in? We have booked a Grand Suite on deck 10 and are pretty excited about it!

Enjoy your cruise!

We're in cabin 1644 on deck 10 port side aft, right under the Windjammer. We were a bit concerned about noise from above but we haven't heard a thing.

Stu.

Like Puddleducky, we too were on the 6/26 sailing of AOS! Although we were on a different itinerary than you are on, it still brings back fond memories of the ship. We too were in the Vivaldi dining room, with Aiden and Riva (sp?) as our waiter and asst. waiter, respectively.

The week went so quickly, that I'm sitting here now wondering what I did the entire 7 days . . . oh yeah . . . SHOPPED!!!

We had a hump cabin, and absolutely loved it. Will write a review soon (just got back yesterday), but wanted to let all of you know who are sailing her in the future, that the ship is in great condition, and not falling into disrepair as I had read in some posts prior to leaving. Also, every Puerto Rican I ran into was polite, and very well mannered, and even if they spoke only Spanish, did everything possible to speak a few words of English in order to communicate. By the end of the cruise, I found myself trying to speak what few words of Spanish I know!

Enjoy your cruise, and thanks for sharing!

Dru

oh Thank you very mutch for your review, We were supose to be on AOS 6-21, two days before we left my mother in law passed on and we had to drive to California. Luckily we purchased cruise insurance thru AAA travel . We are rebooked for 8/21 and counting the days. It was a bit difficult to get two rooms together for 2 adults and 3 kids. Thank you for your report it has given us something to look foward to!

JohnDru - did you happen to catch the cruise in review for our cruise? While watching it I wondered if I was on the same cruise! So much to do and so little time. I agree that the ship was in great shape and thought the 15 year old PR girls looked beautiful in their white dresses for their special ceremony, can't remember the name of it.

Grenowoods - keep the reports coming.

Thursday – St. Lucia

We went on a tour with the famous Frank today. We went down the coast, making various stops along the way, to see the Pitons (volcano mountains), the volcano, the botanical gardens and waterfall – where some us brave ones went for a dip. In the afternoon we dropped a few folks off at the ship and 3 of us went to the beach where I went for a swim and Brandon and I had a snack. On the way back to the ship Frank called the radio station and they announced our names on the air and asked us to come back soon. Frank is a great guy and I highly recommend his tour. St. Lucia is very beautiful

The show tonight was Glenn Smith who generally entertains in Las Vegas. It was a good show. I had trouble staying awake during the show so I think I’ll have to skip the Gala Buffet tonight. Gotta catch up on my sleep unfortunately. Sorry for the short post but my adrenaline has run out and I have to recharge my batteries.

By the way, last night when the captain was speaking he spoke about the Freedom class ships that have been built and ordered. I thought he also mentioned that there is an even bigger ship coming out in 2009! I checked with someone who was there and they heard the same thing. That’s the first I heard of that.

Stu and Brandon

Awwwww. How I do miss Frank:( He is the best guy. On the day we were there I missed the gala too because I was too tired.

Keep the reports coming:)

Yes, Puddleducky, I did catch the Cruise in Review, and totally agree that I missed alot, as well! Missed the sail away party because we were in the dining room when we set sail. Missed sexy legs contest because we were somewhere else on the ship (probably taking Salsa lessons!). However, one thing I didn't want to miss because everyone talked it up, was Quest! Too funny! By the way, if you don't know who Rolloman is, he was the team captain for Team #11 at Quest. Happened to meet him on the Kukookonuku bus in Aruba, when friends we were travelling with called my husband and I out by name, and this guy turns around and says, "Hey, you're not the same JohnDru from CruiseCritic, are you?" So, even though we couldn't make it to Meet & Mingle, I was still able to meet someone from CC after all!

Also, my husband competed in the belly flop contest, and came in second. He's the one who's receiving the medal in the video/dvd. He's wearing green trunks.

While watching the video during the farewell show, I kept leaning over to my husband and asking how we missed so much, and yet kept so busy! Hmmmm.

And was it just me, or did you miss the little number that they seem to do on all cruiseships, for all farewell shows? You know the one where they say what they would be doing if they weren't "on the sea"? It's standard fare, and yet they didn't do it! I remember on Monarch of the Seas in 96', and Jeff Arpin played the final part - ballerina costume, complete with water balloon "breasts"! He was prancing around on the stage and finally one of his "breasts" fell out of his costume and went splat on the stage. Classic!

Eventually, I'll post a review, but we're still recuperating from 3 days in PR pre-cruise, the cruise on AOS, and 3 days at Disney World, post-cruise!

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one who felt like they missed the cruise.

Dru

I am glad I am not the only one who missed the farewell show. Ours was really boring, in my opinion. It was more or less just the 3 vocalist singing. I wasn't to excited about the Velvet Rope so I was less excited for that one. It was kind of a let down because it wasn't as fun.

We also didn't have Can't stop the rock. I think that was because they were having computer problems when they were supposed to do Velvet rope and moved it to that night instead.

We still had a great time though.

Friday – Barbados

I got some sleep last night so I’m ready to go again.

This morning we went into town to shop, something we didn’t do on our last trip. We bought a few souvenirs and Brandon finally found something for his girlfriend (whew). As is the case with most ports, once I’ve been downtown I don’t go there again. Bridgetown is no exception. :-)

We got back to the ship and headed up to Johnny Rockets. From our previous experiences it’s always busy there so we went early at 12:05 assuming there would be a line up. It was 12:15 before the second customers arrived and there was no line-up when it opened at 12:30. We enjoyed a delicious burger and Brandon had his usual malt (I love them too but I just get too full). As usual, the onion rings and dip were delicious. We ran into our friends Gene and Debbie from Texas.

We wanted to go to a beach and we asked around in the morning. We wanted to go and swim in some big waves at a quiet beach so one taxi driver suggested a beach on the other side of the island. It sounded good but I was a little nervous about time. We then got a suggestion for a beach on the south of the island but nobody I talked to on the ship had heard of it. We ended up going to Malibu beach, near the ship, with Gene and Debbie. Gene, Brandon and I rented Waverunners. It was my first time but I had a riot. These things were 1100cc and they really moved. I felt really sorry for Brandon as he didn’t have glasses on – the spray really hits you. As our 30 minutes were up we started heading for shore. I felt something strange – it was raining – and it was starting to rain hard. I sped for shore and the rain started feeling like hail. We headed for the umbrellas and ordered some nice rum drinks. By the time we were finished it stopped raining and so Brandon and I went for a nice swim.

The next time we are in Barbados I'm going to head across the island to Bathisheba. It sounds like they have a very nice beach there away from the crouds.

Tonight we had lobster on the menu and everyone but me ordered it – strangely, I love lobster – anyway, I was drinking red wine so I had the prime rib which was delicious.

The show tonight was Velvet Rope, which is a musical history of famous night clubs. I guess I’m not sophisticated – I enjoyed it – but I couldn’t follow most of it.

We went to see Quest in Studio B and it was funny as always. I got to contribute to our team with a foreign coin, not Canadian, but from Barbados.

We made a quick trip to the Duck and Dog to say hello to our friendly bartender from St. Vincent, Adam I believe. He has me convinced that I want to go there. Then we checked things out at the Blue Moon and got to say hello to Ian, another friendly bartender. We ran into Steve, my English friend from two nights ago. His son, one of the Ice Show performers showed up with some of the singers and dancers. They informed us that they are finally going to have some good jazz tomorrow night. They left and there wasn’t much happening so Brandon convinced me to have a final burger at Johnny Rockets. I can’t believe I ate one of their burgers at 12:30AM – but I DID enjoy it.

This is controversial and I’ll probably get flamed, but as you can see I enjoy both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. A lot of people complain about out of control kids on Carnival but I have seen a lot of out of control kids on this cruise. Running down the halls and up the stairs, hogging the elevators, pressing all the buttons, etc. Earlier tonight about 15 teens crammed into our elevator that maybe had room for 5. I wanted to say something but I really couldn’t be bothered. I have 3 teens who I take on cruises. They have a good time and they are always under control. Sorry, I don’t mean to be rude, but if anybody flames me, I won’t respond – just my opinion.

Stu and Brandon

Stu, thank you for your posts. We are on the same ship & itin, departing on July 31. You are a wealth of info and reassuring too; we are booked on Eli's Eco-Tour also.

I agree with your about the teens. So I will join you in the flames, perhaps, but I totally agree with you about the uncontrolled teens on cruises.

Thanks for the reviews - I'm going to be on the same ship, with the same itin. in August and I'm getting excited. I can't wait for St.Lucia.

How was the promenade on the ship? I've heard differing opinions. Some say it's amazing while others mention only how noisy and dark it is.