Cruise Critic Community
miched

Is It that Great to Sail during New Years Eve?

I was looking at the cruises that are covered by the new promo and seen the Reflection for a 7 night Holiday cruise on Dec 28 . Inside is $2269 and AQ is $4099. The week before is bad enough $1249 for inside and $2049 for AQ and that is during Christmas.

I know that many have time constraints and limited vacation time but is it really that great to sail over the holidays instead of staying home.

I guess I am from the old school and am now able to cruise when the prices are cheaper but it would be very hard to pay those prices when I can sit in my hot tub on my deck at midnight with a drink gazing at the stars or snow flakes while looking at a tv waiting for ball drop in NY.

We booked the Reflection cruise a long time ago for over New a year. The Aqua Class price we got was $2099 pp. demand and specials have caused a big spike in prices. We have done New Years Eve before. It is a lot of fun

We booked the Reflection cruise a long time ago for over New a year. The Aqua Class price we got was $2099 pp. demand and specials have caused a big spike in prices. We have done New Years Eve before. It is a lot of fun

The problem is you won't get the Classic booze package. :D

For the money saved by booking early you got the cabin you wanted and can pay for booze pack and still have money left over.

It would be nice to walk back to your cabin after having a nice dinner and not having to drive.

The problem is you won't get the Classic booze package. :D

For the money saved by booking early you got the cabin you wanted and can pay for booze pack and still have money left over.

It would be nice to walk back to your cabin after having a nice dinner and not having to drive.

We booked early, got the cabin we wanted at a good price, and got the beverage package. Since we don't have a hot tub on our deck and seldom go out on NY Eve, by choice, we feel we got a good deal. Had a great time last year on NYE on Eclipse and anticipate an even better time this year. :D

We have always wanted to cruise during NYE but the prices have changed our minds , we rather go on 2 cruises than NYE.

I was looking at the cruises that are covered by the new promo and seen the Reflection for a 7 night Holiday cruise on Dec 28 . Inside is $2269 and AQ is $4099. The week before is bad enough $1249 for inside and $2049 for AQ and that is during Christmas.

I know that many have time constraints and limited vacation time but is it really that great to sail over the holidays instead of staying home.

I guess I am from the old school and am now able to cruise when the prices are cheaper but it would be very hard to pay those prices when I can sit in my hot tub on my deck at midnight with a drink gazing at the stars or snow flakes while looking at a tv waiting for ball drop in NY.

We really enjoy sea days and have, therefore, mainly cruised on "cheap" repositioning cruises. However, we wanted to actually be on a cruise to celebrate our ruby wedding anniversary last December and booked the NY cruise on Eclipse. Did not think that we would like a Caribbean cruise or a "holiday cruise". So saw it as a huge compromise.

Nothing like it. We had a fantastic cruise. There was a real buzz on the ship and it was fantastic. [sorry, "fantastic" is the word that keeps coming up in mind when I think of it.] Having got married on 30 December, after celebrating Christmas and our annivesary each year, we have slept through NY in most of our 40 years together and did not think that we were New Year people.

The cruise turned out to be so special that I can fully undertsand why more people want to cruise then and why the prices are so high. We did not begrudge a penny spent on it.

Sue

I've done 2 Christmas cruises and both were really great cruises. A different way to celebrate and remember the holidays. I'd like to try a Christmas/New Year combo cruise. I am willing to spend a little more to experience it. Like Disney is a more expensive cruise line but I paid more to try them and really enjoyed the product. Would I do another, not sure but I'm glad I did one.

If you book early & enjoy some initial savings, holiday cruises can be great. In 2011 we did Christmas & NYE aboard Noordam. Fabulous cruise. We booked in January 2011, however. As the cruise got closer, the prices skyrocketed. The laws of supply & demand certainly apply to cruises as well as to most products in a free market system.

As for your situation, at those prices, I'd pass & opt for 2 cruises later. Just my opinion. Each future passenger has to decide if it's worth the cash outlay. No one can make that decision but you.

We love New Year's cruises. I think we have done three of them. They are expensive, but a lot of fun. Each one was worth what we paid. No question about it. However, recently, we save the money and cruise at other times of the year. We liked the New Year's cruises, but did not like a Christmas cruise as much. (it was fun, the line did a nice job, but I'd much rather be home.)

Ohiodoglover

We're booked on the Eclipse 12.28.13 NYE cruise out of FLL. It's 14 nights and we booked it 18 months out. Yes, it's pricier than most Caribbean sailings, but it's fair considering it's a holiday itinerary and as we have a short drive to the port (no air), we decided to go for it!

We love New Year's and over the years our celebrations have become a bit lackluster! We're looking forward to having a great time and leaving the "driving" to the Captain!! :D With final payment fast approaching, it's finally getting exciting!

Jill

Honestly, having sailed on New Years cruises, it is fun, but if you can sail the first week in January or before Christmas- you save a lot of money and the cruise amenities are just as good.

If you have to sail during those weeks, because of your work schedule, you have to spend the extra money. On our New Years sailing, the ship still had the holiday decorations so it looked beautiful, after New Years they remove the decorations, so the ship isn't as decked out.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide.

We are sailing on the Silhouette out of FLL on December 29th. It's going to be our very first cruise and I'm really looking forward to it!

It was the only option we had due to our work schedules... Yes, it is probably the most expensive period of the year to go on holidays, but we like to do something special to start the new year and I'm ok paying extra for it. That's probably the case for most people on board, I suppose.

I just wonder exactly where the ship is going to be for NYE. According to our itinerary, we are leaving the port in Cozumel on Dec 31st at 4PM and arriving in George Town at 10AM. Is the ship going to stay around Cozumel until midnight and then make its way to Grand Cayman or are we going to be in the middle of the sea when the clock strikes 12? Anyway, I'm sure we will be having a great time and making good use of the beverage package... :)

We are sailing on the Silhouette out of FLL on December 29th. It's going to be our very first cruise and I'm really looking forward to it!

It was the only option we had due to our work schedules... Yes, it is probably the most expensive period of the year to go on holidays, but we like to do something special to start the new year and I'm ok paying extra for it. That's probably the case for most people on board, I suppose.

I just wonder exactly where the ship is going to be for NYE. According to our itinerary, we are leaving the port in Cozumel on Dec 31st at 4PM and arriving in George Town at 10AM. Is the ship going to stay around Cozumel until midnight and then make its way to Grand Cayman or are we going to be in the middle of the sea when the clock strikes 12? Anyway, I'm sure we will be having a great time and making good use of the beverage package... :)

We were on the Eclipse last Dec/Jan 2013 New Years sailing. On that voyage, New Years Eve was a formal night and a sea day. We had a party on deck and at other venues on the ship. Honestly, my DH and I were so exhausted from partying and a few strong Martini's that we went to our cabin before midnight and fell asleep!

Hope you have better luck!! LOL

Edited by Cruise a holic

The ship will sail from Cozumel at 4:00 and you will be out to sea at midnight. The big party will be on the pool deck, but there will be parties all around the ship in the various bars. The hot tubs will most likely be drained and filled with ice and champagne. You can pre purchase a bottle if you like, or bring 1 or 2 on board. They will come around right before midnight with a glass also so you can toast the New Year.

We enjoyed it so much last New Year on Eclipse that we booked Equinox for this year. :D

Mary Lou

It really sounds like it is a great time. I guess everything is more expensive for NYE and that is another reason that I stay home. I am cheap and but the main reason is that I can't afford it.

We've spent the last three New Year's Eve on Royal Caribbean ships - this New Year's Eve on Reflection will be our first Celebrity New Year celebration. We usually cruise twice a year with New Year's Eve being one of the two trips. We find the NYE cruise has a special feeling - even though we aren't big party people we really like the feeling. Yes, it is probably the most expensive cruising week of the year but we feel the holiday spirit makes it worth it.

Like an earlier poster, we booked Reflection AQ about three days after the trip was announced - more than 500 days before embarkation. It was more expensive than a non-holiday week but was within $50 of a Royal Caribbean Junior Suite for the same week which had been our standard cabin. It is rather shocking to see that our $2099 pp. cabin is now showing at $4349 pp. (if available) but this is an excellent example of why one should book early........ Remember you can always cancel and get everything back so long as you do it 90 days (for a holiday) or 75 days before embarkation.

I have done it 3 times on board Solstice, Eclipse and Radiance o.t.S. Since NYE is my birthday it is always a nice threat esp. when friends are cruising with us! I loved it every time. They bring in the New Year very nice poolsdie´s and all over the Place! The ships horn blows at the turn of the year and it is all a very lively, festive and nice evening!

Michael

We've sailed several Christmas or New Years sailings. As long as we have kids in school, there isn't much choice about when you sail. I've always thought the cruise lines charge more during the holidays because they can, not because there is anything special about the cruise itself. There is a lot of demand from families like us, so they know the ships will fill up, even at a premium price.

We used to sail over Thanksgiving (kids were younger, and we didn't mind pulling them from school for a couple of days). The fares weren't much different from "regular" times, and it was a bargain. Now, its much more like a holiday fare.

I agree with those posters who say "wait if you can". Other than some decorations, and a deck party, its the same cruise. And be prepared for hundreds more kids than a non-holiday sailing. Never bothered us, but let the buyer beware.

That said, we will be on Silhouette December 29, and we'll keep going as long as our kids are willing to be with us.

Cruises during the holiday school breaks tend to be very crowded. Once was enough - never again unless it's on a luxury line and part of a B2B.