• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

New FCC and Old FCC?

helenb

It's been a couple of years since I've sailed Princess, but I just booked another Princess cruise so I've been looking around this forum a bit. I see mentions of 'new FCC' and 'old FCC'. I'm gathering they changed the FCC? I just used mine (I'm guessing it's an 'old' one, since I booked it in January 2011) on a 15 day cruise, for $250 OBC per cabin. How would this be different with a 'new' FCC? Is it still worthwhile to buy an FCC now?

And since we're on the topic, can you still combine a FCC OBC with the shareholder OBC?

TIA, and sorry if this question has been asked before. I did a search but could not find the relevant information.

It's been a couple of years since I've sailed Princess, but I just booked another Princess cruise so I've been looking around this forum a bit. I see mentions of 'new FCC' and 'old FCC'. I'm gathering they changed the FCC? I just used mine (I'm guessing it's an 'old' one, since I booked it in January 2011) on a 15 day cruise, for $250 OBC per cabin. How would this be different with a 'new' FCC? Is it still worthwhile to buy an FCC now?

And since we're on the topic, can you still combine a FCC OBC with the shareholder OBC?

TIA, and sorry if this question has been asked before. I did a search but could not find the relevant information.

New FCCs are valid for 2 years instead of 4, but can be extended if you call Princess by that date. And yes FCC OBC can be combined with shareholder OBC.

I believe the only difference is that a new FCC expires and is refunded after two years instead of longer for an old FCC. The OBC is the same.

You can combine FCC OBC with shareholder OBC, military OBC, and many - but not all - sale OBCs.

OBC from different sources are still combinable.

You will get the "old" OBC credit with yours. With a "new" FCC, the OBC amounts have been slightly reduced so it's still worth getting an FCC. The new FCC must be used within two years instead of the four years for the old FCC. It's refundable at the end of two years.

Thank you for the fast responses! It sounds like it's still worthwhile buying FCC then. I took a Celebrity cruise recently, and before leaving my TA warned me not to buy their FCC, because apparently using an FCC with Celebrity is not considered a 'new booking' and as such, you can't access any of their 'perks' promotions (which are far better than the FCC OBC). I'm glad to know that FCC is still worthwhile on Princess!

When you say it expires in 2 years... is that 2 years to book or 2 years to sail?

Thank you for the fast responses! It sounds like it's still worthwhile buying FCC then. I took a Celebrity cruise recently, and before leaving my TA warned me not to buy their FCC, because apparently using an FCC with Celebrity is not considered a 'new booking' and as such, you can't access any of their 'perks' promotions (which are far better than the FCC OBC). I'm glad to know that FCC is still worthwhile on Princess!

When you say it expires in 2 years... is that 2 years to book or 2 years to sail?

The change took place in a few steps. Around March 1, 2012 cruise days changed. For example prior to the change for a 10 to 15 day cruise in a balcony room you would receive $100, now it's 11 to 16 days. Also before the change balcony and outside rooms had the same amount of credit, now outside has $25 less credit. They were still good for 4 years.

At some point between March 2012 and January 2013 the term was shortened to two years and a 3 to 6 day cruise category was added. We have been told on board that by calling Princess close to but not after the expiration date you can extend the 2 years to 4 years.

You must sail within the expiration date, not just book.

Each person. Ideally you will have one and your traveling companion will have one. This will give you each the OBC.
You can purchase one only for someone actually on the ship with you. You can't buy one (or two) for a friend or family member who isn't booked on your cruise. They are not transferable.

You can purchase one only for someone actually on the ship with you. You can't buy one (or two) for a friend or family member who isn't booked on your cruise. They are not transferable.

You also cannot buy them for kids under 18... At least, that was the case in 2011. I would be thrilled if this had changed with the new FCC!

I just used mine (I'm guessing it's an 'old' one, since I booked it in January 2011) on a 15 day cruise, for $250 OBC per cabin. How would this be different with a 'new' FCC? Is it still worthwhile to buy an FCC now?

I'm puzzled. The "old" FCCs had for a 15 day cruise $75/person ($150/cabin) for an inside and $100/person ($200/cabin) for oceanview or balcony and up.

The new ones for a 15 day cruise have the same except that oceanview has a lower amount, $75/person ($150/cabin).

With the old ones, getting $250/cabin would have required an inside booked for 16 or more days, so I am not sure how you are getting $250 for a 15 day cruise.

I'm puzzled. The "old" FCCs had for a 15 day cruise $75/person ($150/cabin) for an inside and $100/person ($200/cabin) for oceanview or balcony and up.

The new ones for a 15 day cruise have the same except that oceanview has a lower amount, $75/person ($150/cabin).

With the old ones, getting $250/cabin would have required an inside booked for 16 or more days, so I am not sure how you are getting $250 for a 15 day cruise.

New FCC's provide $125pp for inside cabins on cruise of 17+ days. Old FCC's provided the $125pp for cruises of 16+ days. By increasing the number of days by just one in all the categories Princess is able to save some money.

You are right, the FCC OBC is $100 per person. I was getting mixed up with the shareholder OBC, which is $250 per cabin.

Archived