Antarctica Sea Days

Carolyn, I wasn't playing paddle tennis back then so I can't remember if it was prohibited.

On portions of the cruise the challenge will be the wind and the wind chill factor. There will be several days where you will be able to play though.

Keith

...playing paddle tennis LOL. If I do this cruise, I am going to at the very least get a photo op with Antarctic glaciers and or icebergs in the background. Not too many people can say they played paddle tennis in this part of the world! :)

Edited by haikou

An adventure cruise with zodiac landings is a very different experience from a cruise ship visit. If you have any reservations, I recommend taking a cruise ship visit first to see how much this part of the world appeals to you before considering an adventure cruise. Most of the sea days on either trip are consumed by expert lectures punctuated by various sightings of wildlife, etc. After doing both, my wife and I developed a strong preference for the adventure cruise/zodiac landing approach because the lecturers were superior and the landings/zodiac trips brought us in much closer contact with the animal life and scenery.

Each time you go its a different experience because of the weather and that includes all aspects of the cruise from going around Cape Horn to sailing off Antarctica to visiting each port of call. Yes, you get a different feeling if it is sunny, or cloudy or rainy. It's all part of the experience. Same goes for Alaska. Keith

I'm looking at this one too, but you know me and the weather - the thoughts of a repeat Alaska don't bear thinking about!!!!! My 3 year old god-daughter currently thinks she's Cinderella and I'm her fairy godmother - guess I'll have to get my magic wand out!!!:)

Anne

Anne, I've decided that it's time that you did one of these cruises with good weather. :) Now, if we could only figure out how to make that happen. :)

Maybe that wand will do the trick.

This area of the world can be very unpredictable. First time we went around Cape Horn was actually on a 200 passenger Seabourn ship. All looked great but all of a sudden the weather turned bad and they cancelled the Zodiacs and it was a rough night to say the least. Two years later on the Serenity the seas were calm as we went around the horn and I could go outside and take photos unlike two years earlier where I might have been blown off the Seabourn ship if I dared go outside. I believe a year or two years later on the Symphony the weather was not as cooperative and they had some minor damage to the ship. When we went around the Horn earlier this year it was a very nice day and you could go outside. Yes, it was cold but other than that seas were relatively calm.

Here's a few additional photos from the Beagle Channel Catamaran in Ushuaia.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2aXxnTV8vcE/USIzWEHG6LI/AAAAAAAAbNU/RdCvFyJPv2g/s1600/RSCN2324.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bW7TgOFZb3I/USIzWgCGmwI/AAAAAAAAbNk/JDPPjuKTp94/s1600/DSC_0013.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VRuDlAbeCMw/USIwkbAqVeI/AAAAAAAAbLM/3KfYyNPanLM/s1600/DSC_5198.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-d7B-A-Me5EM/USIwf7f6EKI/AAAAAAAAbLA/pyXIWWWXxqo/s1600/DSC_5195.jpg

And from Ottway Bay.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zWmhoAoU2Yo/UR-0FocUdKI/AAAAAAAAa_k/IvClofDjArQ/s1600/DSC_5164.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RGPz1DF4yDc/UR-0-CUKj0I/AAAAAAAAa_s/PBBbk1mzsok/s1600/DSC_5178.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SC9Tm6qN9l8/UR-z480GYxI/AAAAAAAAa-8/QggXLO4AE6A/s1600/DSC_5158.jpg

In the end it all seems to even out. This year we had good weather in many places but in Ushuaia, Argentina I think they had to stop the tender service for a few hours because of the high winds. This time around we had perfect weather in Punta Arenas and we were docked but in 2007 we were anchored and they couldn't run the tenders because of the high winds.

Either way it is extraordinary and as much as I love Alaska (with good weather) I enjoy the scenery better on a South America cruise than the typical Alaska Cruise and find the ports to be more fascinating as well.

Keith

This should be on everybody's bucket list. We have done this three times on the Symphony. Yes it can be rough or a lake around the horn. We were on the infamous cruise when windows blew out on deck five and we had to return to port for repairs. Weather in that area can change on a dime, but it is so worth seeing the beauty of Antartica.

Danny,

We did this cruise in 2011 and it was one of our favorites. The scenery was spectacular as you can see from Keith's pictures.

We did the penguin tour in Punta Arenas and it was amazing. We also signed up for the one in Falklands. I was not able to go on that one as I have some mobility issues but my husband's pictures were great.

The highlight was cruising and I looked up from the desk where I was uploading pictures and out the deck you could see the penguins sliding off the icebergs. Up they would go again and just were having a great time.

BA we just loved.

I recommend this one immensely.

Celeste

Thank you Celeste. What makes this cruise particularly interesting is that it spends more time in Antarctica than the usual crossings to and from Chile. I guess that the downside is that you do not get to cruise the Chilean fjords or to see Santiago (and you have to go through the Drake Passage twice) but again, you get to cruise to Palmer station, etc. with the extra days.

Thank you Celeste. What makes this cruise particularly interesting is that it spends more time in Antarctica than the usual crossings to and from Chile. I guess that the downside is that you do not get to cruise the Chilean fjords or to see Santiago (and you have to go through the Drake Passage twice) but again, you get to cruise to Palmer station, etc. with the extra days.

Danny,

We were on the same voyage as Miles where three windows in passenger cabins on deck 5 were knocked out by a wave. Fortunately, nobody was significantly injured ( one man had some superficial cuts on his hand) and no possessions were damaged except for a broken watch crystal. Crystal immediately moved the guests affected (and any other deck 5 guest who wished) to deck 9, laundered and dry cleaned all their clothing and replaced the windows with the spares kept on board, so we only missed one day on Antarctica. The severity of the weather in Drakes Passage was unexpected, the weather report was erroneous in predicting winds with half the force that they were in reality. The skill of Captain Giske in turning the ship around in such high seas should never be minimized. We set sailthe next evening, and while it was rough, it was nowhere near as bad as the night before. Everyone who knows me knows I am a big chicken! I worried about Cape Horn and Drakes Passage for months before the trip, and while they were rough, it was more challenging than scary. I took Sea Calm ( meclizine ) and never got sea sick.

My point is---this is an incredible place to visit and it is worth any discomfort to get there! ( the rest of South America was exciting, too! We loved Chile and Argentina especially)

Ricki

Edited by ricki

Deciding which cruise to book is tough. I'm leaning toward BA-Valparaiso only because I haven't seen the Chilean fjords yet. But I'm torn as cruising this area is so much about views and two opportunities for Drake Passage provides two opportunities for nice® weather. Two days of Drake Passage vs seeing the Chilean fjords...Anyone?

Does 6202 really spend more time in Antarctica than 6203? 6202 indictates two days: 1/19 and 1/20. 6203 indicates three days: 2/3, 2/4, and 2/5. Are these three full days or are the first and last days just partial days? Is there any significant difference in the Antarctica scenery on the two voyages or will they be very similar?

I am still tryinging to understand the differences between the Antarctica portions of these two voyages.

Rhonda

Edited by RLMSLL

Danny

6202 spends less time in Antarctica than 6203 - if you look carefully at the itinerary it just lists more places however the sea days between Port Stanley and Ushuaia are only 4 whereas on 6203 (the BA - Valpariso cruise) the time between the two ports is 6 days (same as the 2013 Holiday cruise)... I still think I would go with 6202 as I'd like to do b2b with the preceding 6201 and for me flights would be so much better from B.A. than Valpariso....

Anne

Edited by Jayayeff

I think you cannot go wrong with either of these voyages. They both have their really good points.

Anne I like the back to back you have in mind. I was very pleased with the Brazilian ports. Sure some are not Paris but they are all interesting. Rio is getting better with

their new Mayor and since they are getting ready for the Olympics and the World Cup.

They are expanding the Cruise Ship Terminal Facilities and when we were there they are adding quite a bit to the surrounding area. And there are a lot more police out there with the focus on cleaning up the city. This year we did a private tour and we saw a lot more of Rio than we ever did including the older area of the city. The back to back also will give you some additional time in Buenos Aires.

I think between 6302 and 6303 the first one has the added advantage of R/T to Buenos Aires and I think the first one might be more scenic. This is something that those of you who have travel agents should make them do research for you and have them come back with any differences in what one will see of Antarctica between 6302 and 6303 because I think (think but not sure) that you'll have more scenery on 6302 with respect to the area near Antarctica but I may be wrong.

For 6303 you have the added advantage of Chile in terms of the Fjords and a few ports. For those of you who enjoy wine consider spending a few days there touring wineries. There is the Casablanca region which is about an hour from Valparaiso on the way to Santiago. It reminds me of Napa but from a very long time ago. It is pristine and there are lots of wineries there. Major wines are your white wines. At the same time, not too far from Santiago is another wine region and that is known for red wines such as Malbec.

Either way these are all terrific itineraries and there is lots to do and to see.

The natural beauty of these countries is amazing as are the resources that many of them have.

Keith

Thanks for the input everyone. Yes, the Houston to BA non-stop round trip flights on United are definitely part of the appeal of 6202. Maybe by then we will have built up enough United miles to get into business class without breaking the bank. Every one around here used to love Continental....but after the change to United; not so much love. In fact we almost exclusively fly Southwest domestically because it is so much less of a hassle than United. I guess it is time to start using that United credit card again!

Well, Danny, now you have Pete and I wanting to do 6202. See what you started! I suspect we will go if we are totally senile by then! :-)) Not so much love for United here either! And bs class does break the bank. joyous

Well, Danny, now you have Pete and I wanting to do 6202. See what you started! I suspect we will go if we are totally senile by then! :-)) Not so much love for United here either! And bs class does break the bank. joyous

Joy,

What a pleasure it is to sit in the Avenue Saloon before dinner and to see you and Pete in there, looking good, listening to the music, and enjoying your cocktails. It adds some class to the joint! So, as I said to you on a different thread: I hope that we get to sail with the two of you again.

When any of us schedule a cruise this far into the future, I think that the phrase "God willing" applies to all of our plans.

Joy,

What a pleasure it is to sit in the Avenue Saloon before dinner and to see you and Pete in there, looking good, listening to the music, and enjoying your cocktails. It adds some class to the joint! So, as I said to you on a different thread: I hope that we get to sail with the two of you again.

When any of us schedule a cruise this far into the future, I think that the phrase "God willing" applies to all of our plans.

That phrase (according to my Mother) is God be willing and the "cricks" don't rise. Sorry I didn't ask her where she learned it.

That's how I always heard it: God willing and the creek don't rise! My Yankee grandparents didn't say that just my GRITS ones! joyous

That phrase (according to my Mother) is God be willing and the "cricks" don't rise. Sorry I didn't ask her where she learned it.

You are most kind. We hope to sail with you all again one day as well. We are really thnking long and hard about this as we have always wanted to go back. Holding a cabin while we think about it very seriously. The funny part is when we started with Crystal we were some of the youngest onboard. If we do this 6202 we will be some of the "old guys" that we always wondered about being able to travel well!! And here we are! joyous

Joy,

• 2 months later...
I knew if I searched I could find some of Keith's great photos. I am just so excited to get onboard for our Antarctic cruise- we leave home in less than three weeks for Buenos Aires. Thank you Keith!

You are so very welcome.

I wish you and the others a wonderful cruise. The scenery should be spectacular.

Keith