Jobs to go at RCCL UK with company split

This is such bad news. So sorry for those who will lose their jobs and livelihood. I know how hard it is to find another role after giving 11 years dedicated service to a company. The staff I have dealt with in the UK have always been fantastic and the last lady I spoke to has been with the company for a long time.

I wish them all the best.

I also don't want to have to speak to someone overseas in another time zone regarding my booking.

I can't believe that people are posting here about cost cutting for "small things", towel animals, and chocolates on pillows, when 100 people AND THEIR FAMILIES are losing at least one income in a household!!

I feel really bad for them, and I also hope RCCL gives them a good severance package.

But there are as well other families in Guatemala that now may gain at least one income in their household.

This is appalling news, the UK call centre provides an excellent service, the need understand the cultural differences between what some Brits want. Thankfully the staff at Miami sometimes get it right too...

Whilst we will never move to one of the other cruise lines we expect to start river cruising in Europe as an alternative if we have problems with an outsourced call centre.

Email to Adam Goldstein already sent.

I spent an hour on the phone today to my Scottish bank which despite being told on Thursday when I called back today it would be dealt with in the UK...it wasn't :mad: What a stressful hour that was...I could not understand the person answering the phone...I think they were in India..it was dreadful.

Now I am looking into changing banks.

There are companies who gave up on the offshore call center mallarky.... this article is a couple of years old though.

I've lost 2 jobs in UK Call Centres with companies who decided to relocate this provision.... I find the comment about jobs for Guatamalans bizarre... can't put it into words.... Signing on here so a Guatamalan gets my job..... shakes head.

A sad day indeed.

Hopefully the employees affected by the job losses will get the support they need, and the standard of service to the customer doesn't drop as a result of these changes :(

The employees will get the bare minimum that the company can give and service will suffer. I work for a large IT company that has been outsourcing for years to places like India and so on. They've made the conscious decision that service will be not as good as before but they don't care. They're re-worded what used to be excellence in service to "making sure we don't over-deliver". So rest assured, service will be crap and RCI simply won't care. Customer service is a thing of the past folks, live with it.

I spent an hour on the phone today to my Scottish bank which despite being told on Thursday when I called back today it would be dealt with in the UK...it wasn't :mad: What a stressful hour that was...I could not understand the person answering the phone...I think they were in India..it was dreadful.

Now I am looking into changing banks.

I know what you mean. When it comes to finances in particular, it's so important that there are no misunderstandings. The one thing these companies do NOT take into consideration is whether the customer is happy with the situation. That's why they deserve to lose our business :(

Having worked in a call centre a few years back a thought just came to me....RCCL must have been planning this for quite some time before this was announced. So just how long have they known about it I wonder?

I am betting they must have started recruiting for the jobs before the contract was agreed with Xerox.

This report gives more reasons/excuses on why the UK office staff will lose their jobs to people in Guatemala -

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2013/09/04/45171/royal+caribbean+celebrity+and+azamara+to+run+as+separate+businesses.html

I do feel sorry for the 100 families affected, but it does not sound like bad news for all of the UK employees. In fact, sounds like they are adding some (probably) higher paying jobs to fill in the "teams." Here is the article:

RCL Cruises Ltd is to create three individual businesses for each of its brands in the UK, claiming they have each now grown to a size that warrants “increased focus and investment”.

The new structure, which will take effect from January 1, 2014, will see current associate vice president & general manager Jo Rzmowska become managing director for Celebrity Cruises. A recruitment process is already underway both internally and externally for separate managing directors for the Royal Caribbean and Azamara Club Cruises brands.

Each individual managing director will also get his or her own commercial, marketing and sales teams, as well as separate agent trainers and trade marketing budgets.

But the proposed structural and operational changes also include the consolidation of guest and trade call centres around the world – including the UK and Ireland team based in Addlestone in Surrey - into just three multi-lingual contact centres in Guatemala, Romania and the Netherlands, operated by an external partner, Xerox.

Under the proposal, the Royal Caribbean International and Azamara Club Cruises UK and Ireland guest and trade service call centres would be operated from Guatemala, resulting in the potential redundancy of 100 people. A period of consultation with potentially affected employees in Addlestone has begun today.

A Celebrity Cruises guest and trade services team, dedicated to the UK and Ireland, will be set up in the UK, employing 50 people.

Dominic Paul, who remains as vice president and managing director of Europe, the Middle East and Africa, said the proposed restructure was an important milestone in the history of the global RCL Cruises Ltd business:

“The only other market that we have this kind of focus is North America. This is the first time we have given any other market such attention. We have seen that when a market gets to a certain size of importance, this is the structure that works best to grow.

“The UK is the second-largest market globally and this move is a recognition of the growth achieved so far and to best position each cruise line for future development and growth.”

The three RCL brands collectively in the UK and Ireland have seen 8% growth in the last five years versus the overall cruise market in the UK and Ireland which has grown at 3% in the same period.

Asked if it meant the company, which is the second largest cruise operator in the world, would deploy more than the current five ships to the UK as a result of the restructure, Paul said: “This underlines our commitment to the UK market. We are investing in the brands and see the future potential for more growth. We hope that this will mean we can bring new ships into this market.”

The company said the partnership with Xerox would allow it to address efficiency challenges that are common in any business that has experienced rapid global expansion.

“As a renowned leader in this area, Xerox supplies the contact centres of many customer service focused brands globally. This proposal follows an extensive global review specifically looking at the operational efficiency of multiple guest and trade service centres around the world,” a statement said.

“All of the proposed changes are being reviewed in order to best position the business for future growth, whilst maintaining a competitive edge and strong customer service for trade partners and guests.”

Rzymowska said of her new position: “I am very passionate about all three of our brands, but the Celebrity role is the opportunity that I have been asked to look at and I am very happy with that.”

She described the search for her counterparts on the Royal Caribbean International and Azamara Club Cruises brands as “significant” because they are such “key roles going forward”.

And commenting on the creation of separate teams below them, she added: “There will be opportunities for the [current] team.”

Rzymowska said agents could expect to see more attention paid to them under the new structure.

“Everybody is in business to run a profitable business. And we believe that the trade seeing more of us, and us being able to give them more focused, dedicated time and more investment, will result in increased profitability for them.” Rzymowska added: “Changes made earlier this year to the commissions structure are working for the business. There are currently no plans to make any changes to the base commission structures of Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club Cruises, including when the dedicated brand teams take effect in January 2014.”

Does anyone know what they do in the US? I've noticed service over here really improved over the past 2 years. Especially between spring 2012 and spring 2013, it was like night and day. Maybe what ever they did here they are trying to expand to the global offices.

I know that they opened new call centers in the Midwest and on the west coast to offer 24 hour service just wish it had been in New Mexico and not in Oregon, would love to work for RCCI

Gail

I know that they opened new call centers in the Midwest and on the west coast to offer 24 hour service just wish it had been in New Mexico and not in Oregon, would love to work for RCCI

Gail

I believe there's one in the great maritime state of Kansas :D

But there are as well other families in Guatemala that now may gain at least one income in their household.

Jobs in the UK are being lost, we care about our staff here 1st, it is not our responsibility to look after other Countries all the time, what if the Person losing their job is a single parent or the only one of the family with an income.

No reply yet to my email.

Good morning UK and Europe.

This has got me all fired up. Scroll up a few posts.... been there, done that etc.

This isn't new news.... recruitment for the positions in Guatamala started a whilst back.... those of you who know me, know I spend way too long hanging out in Social Media.... anyway..... to cut a very long story I found this on FB..... dated 22nd May.

Self explanatory really.....

946527_129978893867050_1038425043_n.jpg

There are many non pictoral ads subsequent to this asking for people with French, Italian, German, Portuguese or Dutch without stating the brand; when answering questions posed they state it's for a new account yet to open.

It never ceases to amaze me the greed of big companies!

This is just another money making scheme, and as always ends in redundancies. But shouldn't be, especially to create another! Cheap labour, sad sad sad!!

Wonder if I'll have to wash my own dishes on our next cruise!?!?

BAD FORM RCCL

Closing the UK office which has been dealing with UK and Irish cruisers and replacing it with a call center in Gutamala shows just how little RCI cares about their overseas customers. Why not set up a section in their USA office to deal with UK and Irish callers if they do not want to run a UK office - answer is pure penny pinching!

My experience of these overseas call centres has been totally negative and this appears to be common to many people.

If RCI does not want to put any effort into their European customers care they need to remember there are many other cruise lines which would be happy with their custom.

Good morning UK and Europe.

This has got me all fired up. Scroll up a few posts.... been there, done that etc.

This isn't new news.... recruitment for the positions in Guatamala started a whilst back.... those of you who know me, know I spend way too long hanging out in Social Media.... anyway..... to cut a very long story I found this on FB..... dated 22nd May.

Self explanatory really.....

946527_129978893867050_1038425043_n.jpg

There are many non pictoral ads subsequent to this asking for people with French, Italian, German, Portuguese or Dutch without stating the brand; when answering questions posed they state it's for a new account yet to open.

Bad bad bad Royal! this has to be cost cutting for the sake of profit. Are they going to be cutting the cost of cruising for European customers? No way can customer service be enhanced! Also, just what is 90% English proficiency??:eek:

Wow great find Linda :D

I would love to have been a fly on the wall during conversations about these jobs :eek:

Once again UK/Europe being treated like second class citizens by RCCL Miami....after all the buck stops with them.

Stop this now...keep UK jobs in the UK !!

Bad bad bad Royal! this has to be cost cutting for the sake of profit. Are they going to be cutting the cost of cruising for European customers? No way can customer service be enhanced! Also, just what is 90% English proficiency??:eek:

As a publically traded Company their Primary Goal is working for the sake of Profit.

Everything they ever do for the customer is not primarily to please the customer but always only to get the customer to spend more Money with them or in other words to maximise their Profit.

I know I´m in the minority here, but I don´t see maximising Profit as a bad thing, even if it´s not in the interest of the customer. Only if customer dissatisfaction hits the bottom line it´s bad.

I´m a strong beliver in capitalism and as such I don´t care too much about lost Jobs at one Point and gained Jobs at another, as Long as the return for the stockholders is a good one.

What on earth is 90% proficiency in English langage supposed to mean?? :confused: Is it 90% of all of the words in the entire English Dictionary? Quite an achievement by anybody's standards ;) Or, is it a pass rate of 90% of a random selection of cruise related words in an RCI interview questionnaire? That level of english would not be enough to have an in depth conversation with a customer, or potential customer who has a query or complaint.

I suspect this move might cost RCI more in lost business among their UK customers than the balcony smoking ban. Nobody, I'm sure, given the choice of whom they would like to deal with their booking, their questions or complaints, would say that their preference would be for a a Guatemalan call centre!! :mad:

According to the currency convertor I just used, Q8,000 comes out at just over $6 per hour for a 40hr work week.... so that saves them a considerable amount over what they had to pay in the UK.

Of course they may lose custom - I gave up on one brand of computer after my annoying experiences with unintelligible Customer service in Bangalore - but that doesn't seem to occur to them when they see that $ sign. :(

As a publically traded Company their Primary Goal is working for the sake of Profit.

Everything they ever do for the customer is not primarily to please the customer but always only to get the customer to spend more Money with them or in other words to maximise their Profit.

I know I´m in the minority here, but I don´t see maximising Profit as a bad thing, even if it´s not in the interest of the customer. Only if customer dissatisfaction hits the bottom line it´s bad.

I´m a strong beliver in capitalism and as such I don´t care too much about lost Jobs at one Point and gained Jobs at another, as Long as the return for the stockholders is a good one.

You don't care??? OMG. Have you ever been made redundant knowing your job has been outsourced abroad? Silly me.... of course not.....

Archived