Jobs to go at RCCL UK with company split

They will like this, as it´s easier for them to deal with TA´s than with customers directly. This way they can talk pro to pro and have the TA deal with the customer who thinks to know it all.

And you are making an assumption that after booking I call them regularly or that I am not a pro

And you are making an assumption that after booking I call them regularly or that I am not a pro

I´m not making any assumptions about you at all. My Statement was a general one and not adressing you in particular. But on a second thought, I have to say now, if you are a travel agent, why do you need to use a travel agent now :confused:. Anyway I say more power to all those showing RCI how bad their move was with moving their busines away from RCI. I just doubt there will be many. Even on this thread People are backpaddling already.;)

I´m not making any assumptions about you at all. My Statement was a general one and not adressing you in particular. But on a second thought, I have to say now, if you are a travel agent, why do you need to use a travel agent now :confused:. Anyway I say more power to all those showing RCI how bad their move was with moving their busines away from RCI. I just doubt there will be many. Even on this thread People are backpaddling already.;)

Will all those back pedalling please raise their 'WOW' paddles.

Will all those back pedalling please raise their 'WOW' paddles.

LOL oh hecky thump Linda you made me spill my coffee :D

I have never hidden the fact that I book with a US TA but that does not mean that I do not support the UK office and their staff.

I have got to know a lot of them in UK office over the last 10 years and they are well aware of where I book my Royal Caribbean cruises, and it does not make one jot of difference to them.

They still handle my enquiries with a smile and are very helpful ...why...because they know me...they take the time to talk with me...just like they do with their other UK Cruisers. They care !

Do you honestly think the people who take the calls in Guatemala will actually care about the guests.

LOL oh hecky thump Linda you made me spill my coffee :D

I have never hidden the fact that I book with a US TA but that does not mean that I do not support the UK office and their staff.

I have got to know a lot of them in UK office over the last 10 years and they are well aware of where I book my Royal Caribbean cruises, and it does not make one jot of difference to them.

They still handle my enquiries with a smile and are very helpful ...why...because they know me...they take the time to talk with me...just like they do with their other UK Cruisers. They care !

Do you honestly think the people who take the calls in Guatemala will actually care about the guests.

Quite right, you´ve never hidden the fact you are booking via US TA´s, just like I never did and you also never hid the fact that you have a good relationship with the UK Office. So I´m sure you are angry enough to stop giving RCI your Business and as you can cancel without penalty we will see the planned cruises disappear from your signature.

Don´t worry I don´t really expect you to cancel, the anger about lost jobs won´t go that far. ;)

Why is it not ok for RCL (or any other company) to outsource jobs in the call center, but cruisers seem perfectly happy be served by very lowly paid workers from Vietnam, etc. while on the ship? This stinks of hypocrisy, me thinks.

!

Umm aren't you cruisers ? :confused:

Umm aren't you cruisers ? :confused:

Don't quite understand your comment. Yes, I cruise but I'm not a hypocrite. Lowly-paid worker cater to us on the ship. Lots of people on this post are furious over outsourcing to Guatemala but gladly accept the services of "outsourced" workers on the ship. I think this is hypocritical. I'm unsure how more bluntly I can state this.

furious over outsourcing to Guatemala but gladly accept the services of "outsourced" workers on the ship.

Apples and Oranges.

The ship's crew are well paid by their standards and the ships obey the regulations of the country of registry.

Don't quite understand your comment. Yes, I cruise but I'm not a hypocrite. Lowly-paid worker cater to us on the ship. Lots of people on this post are furious over outsourcing to Guatemala but gladly accept the services of "outsourced" workers on the ship. I think this is hypocritical. I'm unsure how more bluntly I can state this.

As long as my cabin attendant is ON the ship and the person on the other end of the phone is knowledgeable and I can understand them its all good. Where the person on the phone is actually located is of little concern. That is the great thing about telephones, you can hear people on the other side of the world as if they were down the street. At least it is a cost cutting move that does not impact the on board experience.

There is a standard testing process used based on EFL (English as a foreign language) levels and 90% proficiency is worse than you know. It is probably 90% at a level that is very basic so in real terms think 50% at best of what you expect and all the testing is based on "classic English" and not the colloquial English you and I use every day. It is also based on understanding simple non dialect accents.

Offshoring was popular in the past, it is not now, the list of failures are legendary and the numbers "re shoring" as I believe the phrase is, is phenomenal.

This is the part that concerns me the most, based on personal experience.

I recently had cause to contact RCI with an enquiry, followed by a complaint which eventually went right to the very top. It resulted in intervention by senior management, and after several telephone discussions and emails over a period of several days, the matter was resolved to my satisfaction and all was well. In fact, I was very impressed with the way the whole issue was handled.

The key thing here was good communication. Had there been a language barrier during our contact, I suspect the situation would have been even more frustrating, taken longer to explain, and far less likely to be resolved.

This thread is about UK people losing their jobs, nothing to do with wages staff are paid on ships.

This thread is about UK people losing their jobs, nothing to do with wages staff are paid on ships.

It has everything to do with lowly-paid staff on the ships. Unless the people who are furious about the 100 loss in jobs to lowly paid people in Guatemala also are furious about the low wages the "outsourced" people on the ship earn - they are hypocrites. The two are related. There are outsourced workers at every level of RCL and other cruise lines. I suspect the people up in arms over the loss of 100 UK jobs would gladly still accept the services of the even lower paid staff on the ship. Hypocritical - it's in the dictionary.

It has everything to do with lowly-paid staff on the ships. Unless the people who are furious about the 100 loss in jobs to lowly paid people in Guatemala also are furious about the low wages the "outsourced" people on the ship earn - they are hypocrites. The two are related. There are outsourced workers at every level of RCL and other cruise lines. I suspect the people up in arms over the loss of 100 UK jobs would gladly still accept the services of the even lower paid staff on the ship. Hypocritical - it's in the dictionary.

I have no idea how much staff on ships are paid...that is none of my business. We are not discussing how much the call centre folks in Guatemala are paid...again none of my business.

We are discussing the loss of 100 UK jobs.

Just imagine how the staff will be feeling now knowing that in just a few months...right before xmas, their jobs will be taken from them and given to people outside the UK.

What a disgusting way to treat them. For the next few months they have to continue to answer calls and smile and be helpful knowing the company they are working for does not give a jot about them.

If they were cutting down the amount of staff that would be different kettle of fish but to give away their jobs to people in a different country well that is just plain dreadful !

I'm not quite clear on why YOU are so upset about this. You bypassed giving the UK Royal Caribbean staff your bookings so YOU could save money and not be locked in with non-refundable fees. So by bypassing the staff members you also denied them commissions and gave them to U.S. workers instead so YOU could save money. And you also admittedly called the UK staff with your questions here and there costing them time and money.

Now you are upset with RCCI for doing the same thing. They are obviously trying to save money and cut costs by outsourcing their booking agents, just as YOU outsourced your bookings to save money for yourself.

You are just as responsible for this as they are. Right? Why didn't you give your bookings to UK staff?

I feel bad for anyone losing their jobs. But there seems to be some hypocrisy going on here on your part. It's alright for YOU to bypass the UK staff but it is, in your words, "disgusting" for RCCI to do it?

I feel outraged at this decision and yes, i have had experience with outsourcing of call centers in places like India etc. I don't appreciate the fake accent, cheap imitation of what in their mind constitutes 'customer service talk'.

i feel angry that those that provided excellent customer service at U.K, are now rewarded by giving them the boot. No, i am not an employee that got the boot, but i am a customer that over the years received such excellent customer service.

And then we wonder why the customer service goes down in companies where their best employees are given the redundancy notice.

What she said.

Who we book our cruises through has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that there is a tendency for companies to outsource their call centres.... and then sometimes bring them back.... in the meantime jobs are lost and the knock on effects of that is horrid. I wish anyone had given a damn when this happened to me, twice. Whether or not they used the products involved. Would not have made a difference to me. Just someone to bang a few drums and say that they give a damn.

Archived