• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Service charges

Dottypops

Hi,

I have just read this on Costa website, please can anyone tell me whether the 15% is added when you ordered drinks but have already purchased the AI drinks package?

AND I note for my cruise the service charge is 7 Euro per day, can this be altered?

For your convenience, Costa will automatically add a modest service charge per person per day to your onboard account. Bartenders, servers, deck stewards and other staff may be tipped as service is received. For your convenience, a 15% gratuity is automatically added to beverage purchases.

Hi,

I have just read this on Costa website, please can anyone tell me whether the 15% is added when you ordered drinks but have already purchased the AI drinks package?

AND I note for my cruise the service charge is 7 Euro per day, can this be altered?

For your convenience, Costa will automatically add a modest service charge per person per day to your onboard account. Bartenders, servers, deck stewards and other staff may be tipped as service is received. For your convenience, a 15% gratuity is automatically added to beverage purchases.

I know that if you are American the 7 Euro service charge can be changed. Did you want to add more?

as far as i know, only USA citizens can opt out of the service charge because here is it customary to tip. other cultures are shocked by the practice of tipping, so costa makes it compulsary for them.

it has been reported numerous times that even if the tip is removed, any cash must be turned into the pool. any extra above the cumpulsary may be kept by whomever receives it.

Thank you.

No I prefer to tip the actual person at my own discretion So I wondered if we could opt out of the 7 euro charge.

No, you can not opt out. The service charge is compulsory and minimum. You can always try and tip on top of that per purchase, but you cant escape the minimum, and you have to pay it before you leave the ship.

Philip

Archived