Hurricane Dennis

Conquest will depart 7-11 on a six day cruise, and montego bay will be deleted

Port, floodgates closed

The Coast Guard announced it is closing ports and waterways from New Orleans to Carrabelle, Fla. today in preparation for Hurricane Dennis. The Port Of New Orleans was closed to maritime traffic at 9 a.m. Saturday and the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway was scheduled to close at 6 p.m. from the Inner Harbor Navigation Canal to mile marker 60, just south of the Harvey locks, officials said. Also Saturday, the Orleans Levee District announced that 68 floodgates had been closed by this morning. Levee officials were planning to have all but four closed by 6 a.m. Sunday, when a decision on closing those last four will be made.

Does anyone else have anymore info on the conquest. My parents are on that ship and i can't get in contact with them so i was just wondering.

It looks like your parents will be spending an extra night on the ship (which is a GOOD thing for them - but not good for those ready to embark tomorrow).

Hoping everyone stays safe.......

THANKS TERRY ! and THANKS TOM & CHERYL for the informative updates

Mobile:

Holiday (7/9/05): The ship is expected to debark guests from the 7/4/05 cruise on a normal schedule. We now request guests sailing on the 7/9/05 cruise to arrive in Mobile between 9:00 AM and 12 Noon. The ship may be required to depart as early as 1:00 PM.

Just watched the Holiday leave Mobile. Dark clouds behind the ship (first of the feeder bands) and sunny skies to the south. Looks like they left just in time. I saw the ship from the Eastern Shore (Fairhope) sailing south at 2:30pm.

Is there a webcam for the port of Mobile?

It looks like your parents will be spending an extra night on the ship (which is a GOOD thing for them - but not good for those ready to embark tomorrow).

Hoping everyone stays safe.......

THANKS TERRY ! and THANKS TOM & CHERYL for the informative updates

Thank you so much for that information!!!

Carnival Conquest, originally scheduled to return to New Orleans tomorrow, will arrive on Monday morning. The voyage that would have left Sunday will instead leave Monday at 2 p.m.; guests sailing onboard Carnival Conquest's shortened six-day voyage have been asked to arrive at the terminal between 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on Monday. A scheduled call in Montego Bay will be canceled. Guests onboard the modified cruise will receive a $50 per-person shipboard credit, and a 15 percent refund of their cruise fare.

Carnival Conquest, originally scheduled to return to New Orleans tomorrow, will arrive on Monday morning. The voyage that would have left Sunday will instead leave Monday at 2 p.m.; guests sailing onboard Carnival Conquest's shortened six-day voyage have been asked to arrive at the terminal between 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on Monday. A scheduled call in Montego Bay will be canceled. Guests onboard the modified cruise will receive a $50 per-person shipboard credit, and a 15 percent refund of their cruise fare.
Especially if your in a more expensive room could be worth up to $700 bucks for cat 11s but iam just yapping and trying to turn a bad thing into a good thing if you can set your mind to it and except the itinerary change:mad::cool:Also this can save you from gaining those extra lbs on a cruise another plus and a few extra bucks in your pocket is always good ---Anyone agree or have anymore positive input on this matter?

Good luck to everyone. I have lived in the Tampa bay area for 48 years and I don't think that you ever get really prepared for these hurricanes. After last year I think that a lot of Floridians have decided this year to not just wait it out. I travel daily to the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area and the people down there that I know say they are not staying for another hurricane. Also, If you used a generator last year and did not properly flush the carb. and drain the fuel then it is probably gummed up. I have repaired several recently for friends. Good luck to all!

Barry

Especially if your in a more expensive room could be worth up to $700 bucks for cat 11s but iam just yapping and trying to turn a bad thing into a good thing if you can set your mind to it and except the itinerary change:mad::cool:Also this can save you from gaining those extra lbs on a cruise another plus and a few extra bucks in your pocket is always good ---Anyone agree or have anymore positive input on this matter?

I agree, the missed port is not nice but just being fortunate to be able to go on a vacation and pampered is wonderful. So many people do not have the same oportunity that we do. :)

So what's the fate of the Miracle? Tampa seems to be getting it hard on Sunday. Extra day at sea and one day short next week? That would be

awful to miss a day on that cruise. Are you allowed to cancel and rebook?

Dennis is now a Category 4 hurricane with sustained winds of 135mph. I honestly think we should all pray for those in the path of this storm and rejoice that we can even cruise when it is over, whether it be a shortened cruise or not.

Dennis is now a Category 4 hurricane with sustained winds of 135mph. I honestly think we should all pray for those in the path of this storm and rejoice that we can even cruise when it is over, whether it be a shortened cruise or not.
Very well put!:)

Still rocking and rolling out in the gulf... the wind indicator (on the TV in the cabin) has been showing steady 40-50 with gusts between 50 and 60 :eek: ... the speed (of the ship) is given in KNOTS... so I do not know if the WINDSPEED is in kph or mph.... either way.. IT IS BLOWING!

The last update CCL gave us has us docking at 2pm Sunday ... there is a comedy show at noon - lunch in the main dining room... karaoke, etc.. like another day... with sail and sign cards still active - wait, not sure if that is a good thing or not...

I am amazed - the last couple of days, they have had THE WEATHER CHANNEL on the TV's... I have NEVER known CCL to carry this station before...

This ship is GREAT - we have had a wonderful time - can't wait to return over Thanksgiving!!!

Tom

Well… here we are (on the Miracle) sitting out in the Gulf… STILL… it seems in Carnival’s enthusiasm to get the ship back, and get the new people on - they overlooked one MAJOR thing… the Coast Guard will not let any ships into Tampa Bay. The port was to have opened at noon… seems stuff like this can change.. DUH… Now we are told that the Coast Guard will be surveying the entire channel prior to re-opening the port (this makes sense) - I just wish that CCL would have not felt they could just slip right in/under this storm, and carry on with business as usual.

CCL is now telling us that we will, ASSUMING the Coast Guard gives the OK, dock at 8 pm.

I will say it AGAIN… we should have cut this cruise short a day, and returned SATURDAY, or at least backed off and delayed return a FULL day to allow for the UNKNOWN…:rolleyes:

Winds have gusted up to 65 (knots or mph??) according to the ship TV this morning.

A large (Turkey sized) bird has parked itself on our balcony for the entire morning. It had been following the ship since late yesterday (blown from Cuba?):eek:

We have sailed in rough seas before - but this has been the most unrelenting .. UNCLE already…

Oh, and to add to the fun - our toilet has ceased functioning…I was on HOLD for EVER just to get the repair request in… I am sure you can imagine, that the staff is equally stressed and overwhelmed by all of this no doubt! (In the time I have taken to write this, a plumber has come and taken care of the problem :D … we are all set to FLUSH again.. WOO HOO - simple pleasures!)

A buffet dinner has now been announced for this evening… I feel for those sailing on the 7/10 departure… the yo-yo process and lack of information can be aggravating!!!

Well… that’s all for now…

Tom and Cheryl

Tom and Cheryl, just glad you guys are safe!!! I know you are probably frustrated, and tired of rocking :( But this storm has been a doozie, and quite the wobbler, so I guess it has been tough to tell what was going to happen... but looks like she is about a half hour or so from making landfall... They showed Tampa and St Pete earlier, some flooding in localized areas, but otherwise okay... Tallahassee is getting quite a bit of rain and wind now, I hope all is well at home... I know you are worried about the kids and ready to just be home. Know that we are thinking about you... and praying that you get home soon, safely...

Hello!

Live from the MIRACLE :) ... it's a beautiful (calm seas) day in Grand Cayman... The seas were rough on Monday morning... thanks to being near TS Cindy...

Looks like the last day or so of this cruise could get interesting... of course CCL will NOT SPEAK A WORD :eek: of anything "that far" off yet... lol (why get people stressed :D )

Time will tell... thanks to the INTERNET, for those of us that like to know things as they are progressing!

I saw where there have NEVER been 4 named storms before - by July 5th... GREAT... I love to be "involved" in HISTORY...:rolleyes:

Tom and Cheryl

Hey,

We were on the Elation July 3,2005. We saw yall in Belize July 7, 2005! We made it home ok..alittle rough seas but it was not too bad!

Carnival had updates yesterday on their website that listed all the changes with the ships affected by Dennis, now it's not there today!! Wonder why???

I wish you all a safe return!!

I'm looking at the updates on their site right now...

A large (Turkey sized) bird has parked itself on our balcony for the entire morning. It had been following the ship since late yesterday (blown from Cuba?)

Tom & Cheryl: I hope you had a safe return. Thanks for your posts.

Did you get a picture of that bird? Im an avid Birder with the New York Audubon Society. Birds do get caught up in the winds and blown way off course and away from land. Ships have always been a respite for weary birds. After a big storm, we (Audubon Society) go to the shore in search of birds that have been blown in (for lack of a better phrase). We have spotted birds that are very rare to the area from Europe and South America.

Im keeping my fingers crossed for my upcoming cruise that we have no severe weather. Last year we had the cold front that caused the Legend to list to one side. :eek: :eek:

Tom & Cheryl: I hope you had a safe return. Thanks for your posts.

Did you get a picture of that bird? Im an avid Birder with the New York Audubon Society. Birds do get caught up in the winds and blown way off course and away from land. Ships have always been a respite for weary birds. After a big storm, we (Audubon Society) go to the shore in search of birds that have been blown in (for lack of a better phrase). We have spotted birds that are very rare to the area from Europe and South America.

Im keeping my fingers crossed for my upcoming cruise that we have no severe weather. Last year we had the cold front that caused the Legend to list to one side. :eek: :eek:

Yes - we snapped a few pictures.. hopefully at least one will turn out (had to take them through rain soaked windows, so as not to disturb the weary guy)... remind me in a couple of days, and I will send you a copy! He left by late afternoon - after conditions greatly improved.

The Coast Guard gave us the go-ahead a couple of hours ago - we should be pulling up to the pier (they are telling us) by 11 pm... WHEW... rough way to end a cruise - and a tough way to start one (for the July 10th people!)

Tom

Latest update..Miracle passengers wont be boarding until early in the morning.

Tropical Weather Update

July 10, 2005 - 8:00 PM

The following information will summarize the itinerary changes that were required to our cruise departures this weekend due to the impact of Hurricane Dennis.

Tampa:

Inspiration (7/9/05): The ship will sail from Tampa late Sunday evening and visit Cozumel on Tuesday.

Carnival Miracle (7/10/05): Arrival into Tampa from the 7/3/05 cruise will be delayed until approximately 11:00 PM. Embarkation will now be from 3:00 AM to 9:00 AM (Monday morning). The ship will sail after that time and the scheduled call in Grand Cayman will be cancelled.

Mobile:

Holiday (7/9/05): The ship sailed at 2:30 PM. The scheduled visit to Costa Maya will be replaced with a call in Progreso.

New Orleans:

Carnival Conquest (7/10/05): The 7 day cruise scheduled to depart on 7/10/05 will be changed to a 6 day cruise departing on Monday, 7/11/05. The new 6 day cruise will depart at 2:00 PM. Embarkation will be from 10:00 AM to 1:30 PM. The scheduled call in Montego Bay will be cancelled.

Sensation (7/7/05): Arrival in New Orleans on 7/11/05 will be at the scheduled time (8:00 AM). The ship will debark guests at the Poland Pier.

Sensation (7/11/05): The ship will reposition from the Poland Pier after debarkation of the 7/7/05 cruise, to the Julia Street Terminal for embarkation of the 7/11/05 cruise. Embarkation will begin at approximately 6:00 PM. Departure will be delayed until late Monday evening and the call in Calica may be impacted.

Archived