Hurricane Dennis

Guest OBAYbee

I don't go anywhere until next month but dang my condo in Destin just got repairs finished last month.

Our cruise is far enough south where I don't believe it will affect our cruise much. But my condo..!!! waaaaahh

Everywhere you go,folks are bummed bacause Cindy is not coming here.:confused:

We needed the rain so bad.No measurable rainfall in June ...and folks around here are used to TS's and they are often times a welcome site..

Dennis on the other hand,looks like it could really develope into a major.

Thats one I would not wish on anyone.

Dennis keeps chugging along. First protocol activation today for the agency I work with, we're getting ready for hurricane force winds and possible landfall on the gulfcoast. There are still some things up in the air with this one, only time will tell where he's likely to be headed.

I understand what you mean about the uncertainty, but it's the price we pay for the lifestyle here. Since Dennis was just upgraded to a CAT 1 hurricane, it looks like he's going to bring rain and wind if nothing else!

I thought some of you could appreciate this graphic. I pulled up storms since 1992, and here is a map of the storms, and where they went.

hhtm05_CSC-S-IMS-SSP5296027683205.jpg

You can do a search for any year, any storm, by location. It's a tempermental program, and if you open it once, it will not reload until you go back to the home page and start the map over,(at least for me anyway) but here is where you can find the tool;

http://hurricane.csc.noaa.gov/hurricanes/index.html

Just click on the "query storm tracks" link.

In 1993, the 3rd and 4th storms were also named Cindy and Dennis. I don't think they are showing on this map, because it only shows 100 or so results, but there are different parts listed for each storm, such as each time it was upgraded/downgraded. You can also search by a single year.

11 am EDT advisory on Thursday 7/7 just published. The "jog to the NW" seen at 5am became a shift in project path more to the NW, so the path now predicts landfalls on the N coast of Jamaica, all along the S coast of Cuba, crossing Cuba, and then crossing the Dry Tortugas with TS winds in the Keys and maybe even Hurricane winds in Key West.

Hurricane watches posted for the Keys and Florida Bay, Tropical Storm watches for SW Florida.

Predicting it will be a Cat 3 storm within 24 hours also.

Thought I would pass along this link, it's a really good hurricane info page done by the Palm Beach Post so it's in "plain language" most of the time but it cosolidates some good articles and information, always up to date, almost always reachable even when things threaten Florida.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/storm/content/storm/

Latest news includes evacuation of visitors, non-essentials, and mobile homes in the keys.

it looks like Jamaica will be spared from the eyewall and most damaging winds. (this picture may update as the days go by.) Cuba is going to take a direct hit unless there is a major unexpected change in direction. The lower keys are more in harm's way than before as the path shifted east. The entire FL gulf coast will see at least tropical storm winds and the panhandle would take landfall. The big unknown is how strong it will be after crossing Cuba.

windfield.gif

Guest OBAYbee

The Florida Keys ordered tourists to leave Thursday as Hurricane Dennis stormed through the Caribbean on a course that forecasters said might bring it to the state by the weekend.

Great pics all, and I agree Norman, a weather forum would be perfect! Key West has also begun mandatory evacuations of residents in mobile homes ahead of Hurricane Dennis with other residential evacuation orders on standby.

Archived