GoPro

MarTex

Is there anyway to playback the videos from the GoPro with out it being choppy? I used the gopro converter with the videos on my Laptop as well as my Imac with the same results. I got frustrated with it and put the cameras away in the closet:rolleyes:

What settings should I set the cameras on? Should I leave it at default or lower the settings down.

I just downloaded the new update for the software On the Gopro site... not sure if that will help with the choppy playback or not.

Is there anyway to playback the videos from the GoPro with out it being choppy? I used the gopro converter with the videos on my Laptop as well as my Imac with the same results. I got frustrated with it and put the cameras away in the closet:rolleyes:

What settings should I set the cameras on? Should I leave it at default or lower the settings down.

I just downloaded the new update for the software On the Gopro site... not sure if that will help with the choppy playback or not.

Not sure what the "GoPro Converter" is. Are you copying the files from the memory card to the hard drive? They should play ok if you just open them up like a normal video file with your devices' video player. If not, check your memory card. It really needs to be a name brand (I have great luck with Samsung), class 10 card or you may get results like you are seeing. Does your camera use the SD or the MicroSD cards? The Hero3 models like mine use the MicroSD cards and they are the finickiest of all, it seems.

Try these steps: 1] Copy the files from the memory card to the hard drive of your computer. 2] Open Studio 2.0 and pull the files from the hard drive into it and convert them. 3] Make a movie with them in "Step 2", then Export them into a movie. The movie/file that is created should play back smoothly.

What settings are you using on the camera? As long as you are at 30 fps (frames per second) or better it should result in a smooth movie. Initial playback may still be choppy - I believe that is a function of the Studio 2.0 and computers in general (my new AMD laptop still won't play smoothly until exporting the movie, but once exported it is fine). I film mostly at 1080 / 60fps and it's very smooth. Only when I go to 4k / 15 fps does it get choppy, but that is due to the frame rate.

http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/

This guy is GoPro's creative director - and his comments are frank and unbiased. A good article to glance through for some info on these cameras.

Edited by shootr

Haven't downloaded the files yet, but I'll let you know. It was pointed down. I was in the shallows off an island. After a while, I took it off the chest rig and hand-held it as I swam. I only dove about 12' max.

Right on, thank you for responding. I just am not sure about filters. Supposedly in clear Caribbean waters down 12'-15' you don't need any filters and the color should be good - beyond that they can get blue or pink depending on water clarity and available light. I'll keep an eye out for yours if you get a chance to post any.

Unbelievable time. I have about 1T of video and stills... best is daytime, worst, in low level areas....

a new thread when I get back just now to edit in the video LOL....

Floridabum. you need to have a faster pc or mac, requirements are needed. I7 for me works perfect. also do not use the card reader. load to machine, and make sure its todays 3.0 usb..

Fooling around with the 4K/15fps setting to see what the time lapse looks like. This was rendered at 60fps and then sped up 800 percent.

YouTube doesn't do it justice - on a high def TV the video is ridiculously clean and smooth. Only problem is it can only record 75 minutes on the battery at this setting.

That is my current goal - to get some averages of battery life expectations at different settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiking with the grandson, trying out a shorty handle. 1080 at 30fps. Test driving an editing program too.

Hard to not look down to check the aim, which takes the viewer right out of the "moment". Getting a feel for aiming/composing without a viewfinder, now just noting what looks good, what to not do, etc.

Did a quick video for another board on how I carry my gear. Doesn't show the camera, clamp, and various adapters - they were hanging off the ceiling fan doing the work!

Very pleased with the setup. Got a few more MicroSD cards for Christmas, so now I have enough for a week-long trip. To me, cards are cheaper in the long run than a portable hard drive and I don't have to lug my laptop along (although if we drive I may anyways).

Here's my first real attempt.

Pretty simple, I know. But my second attempt (flightseeing over Montserrat) is uploading now and I learned some basic editing.

Great choice of music, and there is enough activity to keep your interest. I enjoy simple time lapse sequences like this.

Thanks for the video!

Did a quick video for another board on how I carry my gear. Doesn't show the camera, clamp, and various adapters - they were hanging off the ceiling fan doing the work!

Very pleased with the setup. Got a few more MicroSD cards for Christmas, so now I have enough for a week-long trip. To me, cards are cheaper in the long run than a portable hard drive and I don't have to lug my laptop along (although if we drive I may anyways).

Neat packing. Where did you get the Micro SD Card box? I can store everything I have in my existing camera bag, but have 5 plastic boxes the MicroSD's came in right now.

Thanks

Playing with the 720 / 120fps mode today. In sunlight, when you slow it down 75%, it is sick how clean the video is.

One problem I am starting to foresee is switching settings quick enough as different opportunities present themselves. Will probably stick to 1080/ 60fps mostly in good light. then 1080/30fps or 720/60fps underwater.

• 3 weeks later...
I really liked the back scatter flip filter on my cruise.

I did have the following GoPro III+ warning: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1973923

Appreciate the heads up, seems like the latching mechanism is different (weaker) on the 3+ than the 3. I like the two-step unlocking on the 3 too.

Question: Did/do you find any real need to use a color correcting filter in less than 10-20 ft of water in the Caribbean (Cozumel/Grand Cayman). I know my video editing program has pretty good color correction, and I'm betting that is all I will need in March on my cruise (snorkeling/snuba only), but always good to get more experienced peoples' opinions.

Thanks.

PS - Where's the link to the vids??? :)

• 2 weeks later...

http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/

This guy is GoPro's creative director - and his comments are frank and unbiased.

A good article to glance through for some info on these cameras.

That's a great and informative article

but super-technical for a guy who's been a still-photographer for 45 yrs. now

-bordering on scary! :eek:

I'm thinking of buying a GoPro

on my upcoming Carnival Valor cruise up and down the Southern Caribbean islands, Feb. 19th. to 26th.

-most likely in St.Maarten (at Boolchands on Front Street).

In anticipation of that possibility, I bought a 16 Gb. Micro-SD card today (cost about US$ 30)

but after reading you guys speak about Class 10 cards

I now see my new card is a Class 4. :cool:

OK so I've bought junk

but at least I can use it in my Nikon DSLR and/or the wife's Nikon point-and-shoot.

Will it be any use for the GoPro? :confused: --at least it'll get me started, right?

Edited by Aplmac

Wow I'm glad I found this thread! Over the last several weeks I have been exploring go Pro 3+ For our upcoming cruise in June. Its now not a matter of if I will get a go Pro camera but when. I've been researching all the videos and websites, but this thread right here has provided a wealth of information. Thank you to all who have posted there is a wealth of useful information here.

Especially love the gopro cruise videos and time lapse. Really well done all.

The only reason that I have not bought a go Pro yet is that I am a little nervous that a new camera could come out very soon after I purchased a 3+ Black. And in a lot of the info on the web that I've seen talk of rumors that there will be a new Hero 4 model with higher fps in the 1080 2.7 and 4k range. But alas it's like any other technology it's never the newest for very long.

Thanks again!

Edited by Tommy3putts

Just broke down and purchased a Hero 3+ Black Edition for our upcoming cruise in March. Along with the camera, I also purchased the LCD Backpack, Battery Backpack, Anti-Fog Inserts, a 32 and 64 gig San Disk Extreme SD cards, Head Strap mount and a Polar Pro underwater color correction filter. For all of you experienced GoPro users, are there any mounts, filters, that you might suggest I might need? I would like to do some time lapse, but the primary use will be for underwater and normal video. I'm not planning on using it for still photography as I have a Canon 40D for that. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Thanks Mike sounds like we are in a similar situation. I have a Sony NEX 6. I'm considering some of the accessories I'll need as well.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is an alternative to the chest strap mount for normal walking around POC filming. The chest mount looks like way to much for non action cruise events and walking and most importantly way way too geeky. So I've been looking for a necklace/lanyard mount. I've found very few options. My idea is this. Get one of those past port travel neck wallets on uses a quickclip to mount the Gopro on that. Wonder if it would be stable enough? Any thoughts from those with more experience?