GoPro

MarTex

If my wife knew how many webpages for quadcopters I have bookedmarked and the hours of research I've done so far...she'd just take my laptop away:).

I honestly believe the "fun curve" is on the steep downslope for flight vehicles though. A year ago you could do darn near anything, anywhere - but now: no national parks, few state parks, random places that some government agency or another has deemed "sensitive - off limits", etc.

If I ever get my defective gimbal exchanged I'm going to try strapping it to a 20' collapsible pole like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Jackite-Black-Fiberglass-Pole-Foot/dp/B00454QBC8

and get some aerial footage that way. Plus I love my little camera so much that the thought of losing control of a quadcopter and losing it all is too much to bear.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube from Phantom quads following cruise ships out to sea at Port Everglades. I doubt any ship's crew would take kindly to a quad launching and recovering from on board. However, I don't see why they'd have a problem if you just brought one along to use off the ship on a port visit.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube from Phantom quads following cruise ships out to sea at Port Everglades. I doubt any ship's crew would take kindly to a quad launching and recovering from on board. However, I don't see why they'd have a problem if you just brought one along to use off the ship on a port visit.

I saw that video!!! I must say,,that quad has incredible range. I'm not quite sure how I would feel if I was lying on the pool deck or the beach and saw one of those things hovering around me though.

FAA rules and regulations apply, Check them out. AMA guidelines are to be followed, check them out/ And in the USA Being within limits of a cruise line or ship. May wind you up with more than you bargained.

I am a super newbie to the GoPro, but I have about two months to play with until our cruise. I had read much of this thread and was wondering if someone could recommend a few good accessories to purchase. Wanted to get some great underwater shots. Thanks for your help.

I am a super newbie to the GoPro, but I have about two months to play with until our cruise. I had read much of this thread and was wondering if someone could recommend a few good accessories to purchase. Wanted to get some great underwater shots. Thanks for your help.

Someday when I'm extremely bored I gotta take a pic of all the crap I have bought and made for this little sucker!

I've never been deeper than 10' - so I don't have or have used color filters, which are useful for color correction in deeper diving waters.

I prefer a wrist strap mount 111421911195_1.jpgvs strictly trying to handhold the camera when under water, I was able to swim easier and not worry about dropping the camera - could take selfies or video of others without unmounting the camera. An extension pole can give good shots too - but consider how much gear you really want to try to lug on a 3 hour snorkel adventure - don't want to spend more time fussing with mounts than enjoying the view.

Anti-fog strips pdp_image_Anti-Fog_Insert_1.jpgare critical in my opinion. I didn't fog up once on 2 dives in our cruise, until I opened the case to change batteries - that slight exposure to the moist air started a little fog on the back door even with two strips.

The video bacpac's pdp_image_LCD_TouchBacPac_NoHousing1.jpgare great for framing shots and being sure of what you are filming without cutting off heads and other important things. If you don't use one, practice filming at different distances and review the footage to get a feel for what the camera picks up in different situations.

Light is critical - these aren't geared for starry night skies - they need as much light as possible to get great images - but sunsets and sunrises are awesome as are colorful well lit decks at night.

Are you wanting to mount the camera and do long time lapses? Some sort of clamp, suction cup, or magnet can work - depends on where you are wanting to put it. A magnet is great for steel hulls, clamps for railings, and suction cups for balcony glass. Whenever there is an inkling of possibility of losing the camera from a mount failing - TETHER it to something to catch it. Paracord, steel wire fishing leaders, shoelaces - anything is better than kissing your camera goodbye.

Ziplining, atv's, other adventure sports? A chest or head mount is great but really investigate your excursion in case they don't allow cameras. I got a Peak belt clamp pov-capture-.jpgthat works with any strap: Zipline harness, camelbak, suspenders, etc. You get some bouncing with it though so it can be hard to get somewhat steady action shots.

A 32GB card holds 2.5 hours of video +/-, so either have a way to download it to something else or get as many cards or as big of cards as you need to cover your needs. I prefer to travel light so I took 7 cards with me to be sure - that got me 3-4 time lapse projects, 2 snorkel excursions, and lots of ship and shore activities over 7 days. Be sure they are quality class 10 cards - anything less and you risk freezing, lost video, etc. - it's not a sales pitch for expensive gear it is reality - it happens, just ask.

Extra batteries or a "juice pack" - a high capacity battery that can recharge your camera without needing an outlet. I get 45-60 minutes on a battery, less with the video bacpac, so plan how you want to use your battery power. Set the camera to auto power down after 60 seconds when not recording to keep from forgetting to turn it off and burning precious time in standby.

Somebody take over!!!

Have fun with it, experiment, and watch lots and lots of other peoples GoPro videos (youtube) relating to your interests to get angle, theme, and other ideas to make your video what you want it to be.

Someday when I'm extremely bored I gotta take a pic of all the crap I have bought and made for this little sucker!

Wow, thanks for the great tips. I really need to get out there and play with it a bit. I like the idea of the LCD screen, but probably will not be able to swing one before the trip (or maybe I will...) I have 3 batteries and a battery pack that attaches. I am not a big hiker, but I think our dogs are going to get a few extra walks so I can test out a few of the things I picked up. Thanks so much for all of your advice. I am going to to a look at the blog a bit later... when I am on a computer it is not blocked on. :cool:

Heads-up! Details on the Hero4 have been released.

Link

And a New cruise line is being released.

these are Rumors, until you hear from gopro.com themselves.

check out gopro.com or sign up for their news letter

Do not tell anyone March 2015 camera is set for Pre-order. They were ready to release in October, and were trying their hardest For September 9th 2014 with Apple.

Camera products are release info is around Feb 2013,.

Edited by gopro63

OK, I'll take time off, fly to Vegas, fight the crowds and get the scoop on a camera I'm not going to buy-based on a dyslexic post on a cruise forum.

And I'm confused and spreading rumors? LOL

If that floats your boat.

Hello,

I have been following this thread. Good information! I have never tried a Time Lapse with just photos. So I figured I would give it a try, so this past Saturday I set up the Go Pro on the Deck and let it take one picture per second for one hour capturing the clouds rolling by. This was also the first time I tried my hand at the Go Pro Studio. Had to google on how to get the Go Pro Bumper. Also tried a Sunset on the South Shore of Prince Edward Island. Will post that a little latter.

I am liking the idea of this time lapse photo thing for our up coming Celebrity Silhouette March Cruise.

Go Pro Hero 3 Black mounted on a Joby Gorilla Pod.

Cameo appearance by Gray our barn cat.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

[YOUTUBE]OjHNboRvYH8[/YOUTUBE]

Hello,

I have been following this thread. Good information! I have never tried a Time Lapse with just photos. So I figured I would give it a try, so this past Saturday I set up the Go Pro on the Deck and let it take one picture per second for one hour capturing the clouds rolling by. This was also the first time I tried my hand at the Go Pro Studio. Had to google on how to get the Go Pro Bumper. Also tried a Sunset on the South Shore of Prince Edward Island. Will post that a little latter.

I am liking the idea of this time lapse photo thing for our up coming Celebrity Silhouette March Cruise.

Go Pro Hero 3 Black mounted on a Joby Gorilla Pod.

Cameo appearance by Gray our barn cat.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

[YOUTUBE]OjHNboRv[/YOUTUBE]

Time lapse, once you understand it, take the next steps and do Hyper lapse, this technique has been around, and finally becoming very popular, again.

Edited by gopro63

Dan Eckert and Shahab Gabriel Behzumi must be so proud to have their silly little term latched onto by the marketing geniuses that can now re-name "sped up video" to "hyperlapse"!!! :p

Anyways...here is a little "time lapse" or "hyperlapse" or "sped up video" I did yesterday on my drive to the mines in Morenci - apologies for the edge deterioration in the final scene - I was experimenting with Corel's image stabilization but failed miserably.

[YOUTUBE]2UMl7EdUlsY[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by shootr