GoPro

MarTex

Hi ez

I sailed an 11 night Med on X Reflection from June 23-July 4. Had fun with the GoPro. I took Time lapses from all our sailaways. Hope to have those posted in a few weeks. Got family stuff delaying my post cruise photos and video processing.

I used 7mp wide and 1 every .5 second settings on all but 2. The other two were one a video and the other a timelapse with12mp wide which were really large files.

Make sure you have plenty of micro sd cards. 32 or 64 gb.

If I'm doing a timelapse with significant ambient light changes (sunrise/sunset) I will actually film in 1080/30 and just speed up the footage in post.

What can happen if you use individual pictures to create the timelapse of a sunset/sunrise - the camera will adjust white balance and aperture sporadically so you can get distracting flashes in the final production from these changes between images. Filming in video reduces that to negligible, if at all.

Went to a butterfly enclosure today. Gave the GoPro and my new 2-axis gimbal a workout. I'm getting the hang of it but still a ways to go until I'm happy with my efforts.

Filmed at 720/120 (was hoping to slow the flapping down smoothly, but still not enough frame rate for that).

[YOUTUBE]lgr_h3-YSjY[/YOUTUBE]

Thank You all for your suggestions... I have a few weeks to experiment with your recommended settings, and hopefully shop for some mounts as well... Really excited to see my results after the cruise..... Butterfly clip was awesome...

I was going to order a two-axis gimbal from B&H, but the delivery date was after my next trip. So, I will wait. The New York Photography Show will be going on shortly after I return from my month long trip. I'll see what they have to offer. Your gimbal did a very nice job. - Allan

I was going to order a two-axis gimbal from B&H, but the delivery date was after my next trip. So, I will wait. The New York Photography Show will be going on shortly after I return from my month long trip. I'll see what they have to offer. Your gimbal did a very nice job. - Allan

Which one were you considering? I ask, because there's a Feiyu G3 2-axis on Ebay from a US seller for about $250. I'm on the fence about whether I really need one that much, but have this particular one saved.

Which one were you considering? I ask, because there's a Feiyu G3 2-axis on Ebay from a US seller for about $250. I'm on the fence about whether I really need one that much, but have this particular one saved.

Sorry, I did say 3-axis from B&H. It is a 2-axis http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1042434-REG/shape_iseei_gimbal_hand_held_go.html The 3-axis gimbal was from Feiyu, the one you're looking at. I'm going to wait and see what shows-up at the show in NY.

Thanks! It works really well, but is ungainly as heck for travel and even though it's built for flight and is aluminum and all - I still feel like it's delicate and worry every time I bang into something (even though it isn't - it's a stiff tough little sucker). The units you all are considering are much more travel and user friendly.

There is a learning curve, I'm finding out. Side pans are jerky if you don't concentrate on being smooth. I'm testing panning at a quicker than normal rate at 60fps or more, then slowing it down in post and it seems to be much smoother. But isolating the hand up and down and twisting motions - it's crazy how well these things do it.

In the butterfly project I wished I had more static, non-moving shots and just let the gimbal freeze the camera - at the time I felt like every scene had to have motion to show off the gimbal, rather than let the gimbal do its' thing and just film normally - be it moving or stationary, and just let it eliminate the distraction of jerky hand motion and horizon tilting.

Hello everyone i noticed a gopro thread and i have a video from a cruise last year and it was all filmed on a gopro. Im posting this so everyone can see what you can do with this camera.

Unfortunately i wont be able to go on a cruise this summer :mad:

Really well done comparo of 2 different 3-axis gimbals - lots of little things to consider that I've never seen discussed in detail before.

[YOUTUBE]rBzSPdsVfpY[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by shootr

Really well done comparo of 2 different 3-axis gimbals - lots of little things to consider that I've never seen discussed in detail before.

rBzSPdsVfpY

Just ordered Feiyu G3 Ultra 3-axis Steadycam Handheld Gimbal Gopro Hero3 Camera Mount . Delivery expected by August 7. In time for my trip.

Just ordered Feiyu G3 Ultra 3-axis Steadycam Handheld Gimbal Gopro Hero3 Camera Mount . Delivery expected by August 7. In time for my trip.

Awesome! The shots that guy was making looked as good as any studio dolly/boom efforts.

Mine developed a problem - one motor has a tic, an audible hum, and just isn't as smooth as the other - that's what has been causing the side-to-side jitters when I'm filming. Seller is going to exchange, no problem, but it sure would have been handy yesterday - did a nice hike in some rocks and without it the footage is shaky as heck.