Treading Delicately regarding reservation

Wicked

Ok lets see how I can do this without getting banned! I used an online agency and got a great deal on a Mini Suite on the Caribbean Princess for October 15th (I absolutely can not wait to go!)

They gave me a guarantee AC mini. I was concerned about the size of the balcony and asked if I could change it to D732 (I heard it was a bit larger balcony and from Cruisin' Chris' website it looks it) for the balcony, or upgrade to a suite. He told me that all minisuite balconies are the same size and are a good size so I can stay guaranteed and don't have to pay more for a suite.

I'm frustrated as I know this isn't true.....At this point I want to upgrade to a suite but I don't want to use this agency any longer.

Any ideas suggestions? If need be could someone email me?

Wicked@guildofchaos.com I hope this is legal for the boards!! :)

I think you'll find that the minisuite balconies are quite large and give you enough room to stretch out, if that's what you are looking for. I don't think this is enough of an issue to challenge the TA's advice. Every category of cabin has some exceptions to the general rule, so any agent might be forgiven if they don't know all the details.

He told me that all minisuite balconies are the same size and are a good size so I can stay guaranteed and don't have to pay more for a suite.

This has nothing to do with the balconies, but if you want a suite, I think you probably should book it, rather than hope for an upgrade from AC. Prices are good in October, and somebody's going to grab the suites if you don't!

I'm not sure it you mean me - or some else who's screen name is close to mine. IF you were looking at my pix on Webshots I think you may be confused. The suite pix there are on Sun Princess.

On Caribbean Princess, the room you mention D732 IS an AC mini and you're booked in an AC guarantee. I'm confused about the issue you have. Most of the minis on CB are on Dolphin and are virtually identical to one another. The category essentially denotes location on the deck (distance from midship). You mention you want a SUITE. Is that what you really mean??

D732 is a larger balcony, in that it is the last balcony and "wraps" back around to the ship's exterior wall. It is an AC category.

If this cabin is available, grab it and be sure your TA marks it NO UPGRADE! If D732 or D733 are both booked then you may as well stay with the guaranty status.

I also just noticed the "*" on these two cabins, which means the 2 beds do NOT convert to queen and only a shower :( while the rest of the mini's have tubs.

We had E731 on the Emerald deck which is a covered mini-suite with the extended balcony and just loved it. But if you want to open balcony, you would want the Dolphin deck.

Thanks Vicki! I appreciate your comments!

I think I'm just going to spring for it and go for the suite but am going to tranfer my reservation as I do so, I just am not comfortable with my current agent any longer!

now the hunt begins!!

Thanks to everyone for the help!

You might not be aware of this but there are a lot of TA's that do not know about the secret couple of minis that have the extended balcony. For a long time it was hard to get info until passengers came back that had these couple of cabins as even Princess would tell you that the balcony sizes were all the same.

Guess I misunderstood the OP, thought they were asking about different decks as usually the two end cabins with the extended balconys are the only ones on the ship in the mini suite class that have a different balcony set up.

Ok lets see how I can do this without getting banned! I used an online agency and got a great deal on a Mini Suite on the Caribbean Princess for October 15th (I absolutely can not wait to go!)

They gave me a guarantee AC mini. I was concerned about the size of the balcony and asked if I could change it to D732 (I heard it was a bit larger balcony and from Cruisin' Chris' website it looks it) for the balcony, or upgrade to a suite. He told me that all minisuite balconies are the same size and are a good size so I can stay guaranteed and don't have to pay more for a suite.

I'm frustrated as I know this isn't true.....At this point I want to upgrade to a suite but I don't want to use this agency any longer.

Any ideas suggestions? If need be could someone email me?

Wicked@guildofchaos.com I hope this is legal for the boards!! :)

It looks like you have already made the decision to move the booking and go for a suite - and that's great. I guess my only question would be whether you selected the cruise due to the great rate offered for the mini-suite guarantee. If so (and you knew it was a category guarantee), then you really have no point of contention with the TA. If you thought, however, that you were getting a specific cabin and found out you were only getting a category guarantee, then that's a different story. Maybe there are other issues involved.

If you wanted a specific cabin or thought you might want a suite, then I think perhaps you might have discussed the options and made that choice initially. We usually would rather select the cabin we want instead of going with a guarantee. The exception was the Panama Canal cruise on the Coral and, in that case, our TA was right to suggest the guarantee. You were probably headed for a forward mini-suite.

Just my two cents worth. It sounds like it is sorted out now, so have a great cruise.

Thanks again to everyone. I did get a great price but I picked the Ship before pricing even figured in. I just wanted to go on something other than Carnival and I'd heard great things about the CB :)

It wouldn't have been so bad if he hadn't put me on hold to ask about the balconies and then came back with "they're all exactly the same".

So I've got a few prices on suites already and will talk to DH tonight and make sure all is good with him.

Still so far away though! :)

Wicked, in defense of your TA, I once booked a cruise with Celebrity, and the reservationist (I booked directly with Celebrity) wasn't aware of the four cabins on the ship that had larger balconies than all the rest. So I wouldn't base the dumping of your TA on that lack of knowledge. Even employees of the cruiselines often don't know.

Archived