• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

First timer. Tip question

longnex

We are going on a 5 day cruise. I see they automatically add tips. My question is we only plan on eating in the MDR one night. How does the tips work for that? Does the MDR waiter get 5 nights of tips for one night of work? Or do the tips go to the buffet servers or pizza servers or to wherever we decide to eat?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

The tips include the people who work in the Lido (buffet). Your dining room waiter most likely will also be working in other restuarants on the ship where you'll be eating. My personal recommendation would be to leave the tips as they are and just pay them.

Roz

The tips - using RCI as example - also cover your room steward and any assistant to them, not just the wait staff. Don't be concerned with their allocation - the cruise line manages that. But all service staff is included.

If you want to add any extra in cash to anyone, you certainly can do that but the automatic tips cover everyone necessary - except (again using RCI as the example) for any separate concierge service you may use. Most mass market cruise lines operate similarly.

We leave the tips in place.

We do tip extra at the end of the cruise to people whom have made our cruise special.

If you have meals delivered to your cabin, you might consider tipping those people a couple of dollars.

Not trying to be disrespectful... but why are you using such large font? You can obviously read other comments in the smaller font or you wouldn't be responding.

Not trying to be disrespectful... but why are you using such large font? You can obviously read other comments in the smaller font or you wouldn't be responding.

I like the use of that large font ...... it makes reading this message on my smartphone so much easier without my reading glasses lol

I know that for me I often have to enlarge the font on other people's posts in order to read them. I always appreciate the font that KK uses since it's easy for these senior eyes to read.

As others have mentioned, those tips are split among a number of employees. Also you'll like see your serving team working the buffet or restaurants at breakfast and lunch. On my last DCL cruise we ate in the dining room one night, had breakfast in our cabin every morning (and tipped room service for bringing it) had dinner in the alternate restaurants all but the one night and tipped there as well, and still left the tips intact for the serving team in the main dining room. It was our choice not to dine there and we saw the team working other meals in other restaurants, so it was the right thing to do.

I know that for me I often have to enlarge the font on other people's posts in order to read them. I always appreciate the font that KK uses since it's easy for these senior eyes to read.

Me, too. Hate when posters use those tiny fonts and often just skip over reading their comments because of that.

Archived