Welcome!

LauraS

• Administrators

Here's a forum *just* for seniors to share their cruising experiences!

What is the "best" cruise line for those 55+?

Are there any special perks seniors can expect from the cruise lines?

Browse Cruise Critic's Hot New Options for Seniors, then share your own "hot" tips for other senior cruisers!

Laura

Here's some information for senior cruisers who rent vehicles in foreign ports.

Hertz imposes age limits on its car rentals in 13 foreign countries, including Egypt, Gibraltar, Kenya, Morocco, Tahiti and Ireland. Age limits range from age 69-75.

Avis won't rent to older drivers in 10 countries, including Belize, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Honduras, Costa Rica, and Ireland. Age limits start at 64-75, depending on the country.

If you are planning to rent a vehicle in any foreign port, be sure to contact the rental companies directly.

Morning all!

I never mind being a "senior citizen" (56) but I sure hate being CALLED one! Isn't there some other, more accurate and complimentary "title" for us? I don't know about all of you, but I'm still very active, very healthy and very far from a rocking chair!

For that reason I am excited to see this board and will look forward to sharing experiences with all posters. I have been on two cruises and will be sailing again on the Mariner Oct. 29 to the Caribbean. Thus far my sailmates are my brother, his wife and once with my brother's mother-in-law. We always have a great time. The only problem I've encountered is that I'm much more active than the ladies (SIL has MS and her mom is several years older than me and doesn't move about very well). My brother and I love being active but I fee guilty taking him away from his DW so I sometimes forego things I'd like to do during my cruise.

I'd love to hook up with one or two ladies who'd like to cruise once or twice a year. I'm single, not rich by any means but do save all year long for my vacation time. If I sailed twice a year, each cruise would have to be less than 7 days. If I onlky go once a year, I can go on a 7 to 9 day cruise. I really love the eastern Caribbean, bu wasn't impressed with the ports on the western route. I'd love to go the southern route but haven't managed it just yet.

One "handicap" I do have is that I can't find my way out of a paper bag! I have absolutely no sense of direction and don't venture off on my own, lest I never find my way back! Years of trying to correct this deficit have been wasted - so I've finally resigned myself to traveling with someone.

Marvholly - I won'd be cruising a second time this year, but next year - maybe we can work something out!

Have a great week! I'll check in often...

Cindy

Morning all!

I never mind being a "senior citizen" (56) but I sure hate being CALLED one! Isn't there some other, more accurate and complimentary "title" for us? I don't know about all of you, but I'm still very active, very healthy and very far from a rocking chair! ...Cindy

How 'bout Seasoned Citizen:D ? Gonna be interesting to see who signs onto this thread.....very clever "subject":)

• Administrators

Although I definitely like the "sound" of seasoned citizen cruisers...I suspect it might be confusing to some.

I've renamed the forum 55+ cruisers.....sound good?

Laura

Sounds great, Laura. Thx for the new forum. Since I'm a solo-cruiser and definitely 55+ (and more +'s):D, it might be a good way to help others who would like to cruise solo but are hesitant to travel alone.

Hi, all--

I am a retired teacher from NJ and just booked my first ever solo cruise (running out of family members to travel with!!) I'll be on the Golden Princess 4/22/06, great itinerary, open to a roommate or other ladies interested in meeting onboard and "hanging out" together. Anyone out there??!!

Linda K.

Ah Yes,,,,,,Later in Life,,, when you've, Past Middle Age,,, and move on to a, Greater Age,,, you become, Like Fine Wine,,, you are, Advanced,,, you are, Experienced and, you can be, to some extent, Authoritative,,,,

now,,, hopefully, the taste of the wine is the best, and the all knowledge is used wisely,,,, and you don't think you run the world,,,,

Of couse,,, you realize, we'll be getting better deals,, being we are in this unique group,,,,,

I kinda like "The Over The Hill Gang",,, lol

My husband and I retired early so that we would be able to do traveling and just being together. We are now 58 and 65 and still in great health. We very much enjoy the ocean and all the things on the ships. Thus far we prefer the Celebrity Cruise Line. Our last cruise be had booked a CC and when we arrived we were upgraded to a SS which we really had fun with. Our Butler was just wonderful. Great experience.

My husband and I will be on the Carnival Liberty in Oct. We will be celebrating our 50th anniversary. Although it is in Aug. we decided to wait until Oct. because it is cooler. It is the 12 day European cruise.

How great to find you. My husband & I are 56 yrs. old and have cruised on Carnival

3 times and are going Oct. 2,2005 on the Pride. Our son is getting married on the boat and then we'll cruise to mexico togheter.

In 39 days, I will qualify for the 55+ club!

Not exactly like winning the lottery, but..............................

Retirement is not in sight, though. Have worked the past 31 years in law

enforcement; eligible to retire on my 55th birthday-39 days. With twin daughters in the 12th grade, and college on the horizon, will have to continue working, somewhere?

Our third cruise is scheduled for January 2006(Destiny).

We didn't discover "cruising", until about 4 years ago. So, we developed our love of cruising, at a much older age, than most people, I would guess?

First cruise-Celebrity's Constellation, second cruise-Serenade Of The Seas, and next-Carnival's Destiny.

Counting the days, till my membership in the prestigious 55+ club!

enforcement; eligible to retire on my 55th birthday-39 days. With twin daughters in the 12th grade, and college on the horizon, will have to continue working, somewhere?

Our third cruise is scheduled for January 2006(Destiny). ...

How lovely "turning 55":rolleyes: Glad to find somebody in the 55+ still gainfully employeed; however, tis mighty nice to know you are now retirement-eligible! funny thing, once you become eligible and you've done what you had to do, you go on to do now what you want to do! Happy Birthday - hope it's the BestOne yet!:D

Not exactly like winning the lottery, but..............................

Our third cruise is scheduled for January 2006(Destiny).

We didn't discover "cruising", until about 4 years ago. So, we developed our love of cruising, at a much older age, than most people, I would guess?

First cruise-Celebrity's Constellation, second cruise-Serenade Of The Seas, and next-Carnival's Destiny.

Happiest of birthdays to you!! Linda

Magnum PI - Hope you have a great birthday! I truly believe that turning 55 is cause for celebration.

"Life" for me really didn't begin until I was in my 40's and had my two kids through college - that's when I ventured from the "norm" and worked for a time as a firefighter/EMT and then a police officer! Now I'm a nurse. Great jobs for an adrenalin junkie, but changing jobs sure hasn't provided any retirement funds. So I'll work until the day I die, I guess.

55+ Club sounds great! As long as I'm able (physically and financially) I plan to cruise and will look forward to possibly meeting up with or sharing a cabin with someone I meet on this board. Isn't the Internet wonderful!

Cindy

cute handle copnlpn2 - after your description, it's easy to understand what this means;) Mighty fine accomplishments - obviously, you are a caring person:) Work as many years as you need, but take time to enjoy the sea - always and all ways.

Wow! I love this site . . . :p As someone who turned 58 in January, it's so nice to know that I am not the only "over 55" cruiser that loves to cruise solo (after many years of cruising with my former husband). I was a flight attendant for over twenty year and got my law degree at age 52. I couldn't retire even if I wanted to (I don't) . . . I mean someone has to pay for my cruises. Tee Hee!

Great forum, Laura. :)

I'm 65 going on 25 :D ,divorced, a construction contractor in Los Angeles County, certainly not rich, but love to cruise as often as I can get away from my business for a week. Usually don't know when this cruise window is going to appear so have to almost always book "last minute" (4-7 days before the cruise). Makes it difficult to find someone that can cruise on such short notice, so I almost always cruise solo (although a month ago I took my son with me on the PRIDE).

Love the sea, love cruising and love Carnival. About the time I get interested in trying another "more refined line" I go to their specific message boards and in no time, I'm back in the Carnival threads. Love the young-at-heart aspect of Carnival. :rolleyes:

I look forward to contributing to this forum frequently. :)

EmJake's Bubbie - Thanks for thinking kindly of me! And you're right about work and play...I may have to work the rest of my life, but I'll always make time for me. Rather than actually retire, I'll consider each of my upcoming cruises a "mini-retirement"!

Glad to see so many folks interested in the board. Nice to know others like me who may be 55+, but who still have a zest for life...and cruising!

Still haven't cruised solo yet...but looks like I'll be giving it a try at least once next year. I usually do a 7-day cruise in October because it's the best time for me to take vacation. I'll probably go with RCCL and want to have a cruise picked out so I can book it when I'm aboard the Mariner in late October. Is that a good idea or is it better to wait and watch for sales closer to the time I want to cruise?

Your input will be greatly appreciated!

Cindy

booking the next cruise whilst on your current cruise is a great idea! only downside is requirement to pay the deposit at time of booking. I have found the prices to be the same as if you were at home - the advantage is to get on board $$$ credits for when you take that next cruise. cruising solo is a bit pricey - BIL always cruises solo - he takes his guitar, finds a quiet cove / plays (& sings) / always a crowd gathers and that's how he makes friends;) - he only cruises NCL. I wonder why cruise lines stopped trying to match up 'cabin shares'?