Welcome!

LauraS

I have only been on 3 different lines, but HAL is the best for seniors, in my opinin. NO KIDS, good food, and nice service. Also very clean.

You might also try Oceania

Limited smoking area (2) no kids, no formal nights, anytime dining.

More Mature crowd

Kathie:

I'm 70, live alone, still working as I can't afford to retire, but started cruising in earnest once the social security kicked in.

I was on the Australia/NZ cruise in 2002 with RCCL - what a lovely trip. You will love it. I would love to go back but too many other places I haven't been to yet. Also, consider the cruise around the Horn of So. America. That was also a really wonderful trip. I did that 2 years ago with friends on NCL's Crown - lovely ship.

I have two more cruises booked for next year - a repo cruise on Princess from LA to Vancouver, switch over to the Noordam and cruise down to Seattle overnight - beats sitting in line to cross the border. Then another repo in November on NCL's Spirit from NYC through the Caribbean to New Orleans. Doing both alone. I'd love to take grandkids but they aren't interested (they are teens/pre-teens). Oh well.

Krosmon--S. America is on my wish list. We hope to do the Med. cruise/tour on Galaxy first. We planned to go with friends in summer of '07, but they have financial concerns right now and have had to postpone, so we are going to Mexico next month and Aust/NZ Jan. '08. Maybe the Med in '09 and S. A in '10. I also want to do the "other" S. Carib itin. We've been to Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten and twice to St. Thomas and San Juan. I want to see Barbados, Antiqua, St. Lucia and others without repeating ports.

It's really great that cruise lines are branching out more and more with different itineraries and departure ports. DH is more into cruising than ever so maybe he will not mind doing two cruises a year again, like we did in '03.

Six weeks till we cruise Mercury! :D :D

• 3 weeks later...
Although I definitely like the "sound" of seasoned citizen cruisers...I suspect it might be confusing to some.

I've renamed the forum 55+ cruisers.....sound good?

Laura

Not sure how to do this, and I hope you get the message. All of the posts are old. Does anyone check in here? How would I be able to contact some of these ladies? I am a young 62, like to cruise and find it hard to find a room mate. Would like to chat with these ladies, especially Holly who lives in Chicago. Is that possible? I thought I posted a message to her, but I don't see it anywhere. Can you help me? Thanks. My name is Marianne and my email is Hope to hear from you with any help you can give me. Thanks again.

Marianne

Kathie:

I have two more cruises booked for next year - a repo cruise on Princess from LA to Vancouver, switch over to the Noordam and cruise down to Seattle overnight - beats sitting in line to cross the border. Then another repo in November on NCL's Spirit from NYC through the Caribbean to New Orleans. Doing both alone. I'd love to take grandkids but they aren't interested (they are teens/pre-teens). Oh well.

***jumps up and down and points*

==============>>>>>>>Take me Take ME!!! (only half kidding!)

I just stubbled across this forum. I too, qualify having passed ... or arrived at middle age, 55+ is middle age, don't you think? haha At 50, when my AARP package arrived in the mail, I didn't cry or whine at their insensitive intrusion into my personal life. Oh no ... I just tore open the envelope looking for my discount dinner coupons!

I have cruised 3 times and have 2 more booked. After a divorce several years ago my daughter talked me into the first cruise. After that, the rest is history and I will be needing to check into a cruise addiction clinic to ever cure me of my craving for the sea ... or is it a craving for travel ... or the sun setting peacefully behind the infinite ocean ... or the stars shining in a totally black sky .... well whatever it is .. I am hooked.

I have often thought of cruising solo but have not tried it yet. I think I still prefer to have a roommate. For the company and because of the cost sharing advantages to sharing the room rate. I will be cruising this year with each of my daughters. After that, I will have to find alternate companionship for future cruises. They both have been very good about going with me up to this point but I fear that soon my addiction may become an imposition to them. They have their own families and while we enjoy spending time together, it's really not fair for me to ask them to spend their only vacation time with me on a cruise when they have other interests with their families.

I want to go down the Mex Riviara or do an Eastern Carb to St Thomas, or down that direction. I would love Alaska, or the TransAtlantic, etc. longer cruises, I just don't know if I could ever save enough for those.

Hi, Wanna Cruise:

I'm 70 and still at it. I used to take my mother until she passed away. My sons have no interest in cruising and neither do the grandkids. And as I don't have friends who can travel, I go by myself. I did take a friend a couple times but that turned out to be awful - very stressful as we don't have anything in common. She hints that she'd like to come along but I have to pretend that I didn't hear her or just not say anything about the cruises.

Long cruises can be fun as long as you aren't stuck at sea for days on end. I like to see as much as I can so look forward to lots of days in port. Maybe if I had a companion, it would be different, but I don't think so. I have done 14 day cruises three times, and am going to do a 15 day cruise in November around the Caribbean - first time I could afford a balcony cabin.

Look for repositioning cruises or look at some of the on-line discount cruise agencies as they get some really good deals. That's mostly what I take any more - repositioning cruises. They have to move the ship to the new home port for the season and will give discounts just to fill the ship.

Good luck. You'll find a wonderful cruise, I'm sure.

Hi Wanna Cruise:

I don't know if I was notified of your message because it was for me or just because I subscribed to the 55+.:confused: Well, I hope you might be talking to me. I would love to find others, such as myself that love to cruise. I see you live in Texas, I have never been there, and you can see I live in Chicago. Have you ever been here? I am that young 62 that people talk about, at least "I" think I am. There are many good deals out there, and sometimes the air fare costs as much or more than the cruise. I am platinum on princess and will just need 9 more days to be elite after this cruise. I hope to hear from you soon. m.loughman@sbcglobal.net I usually look for the most for the least and have not traveled solo because of that single suppliment. Well i will await more news from Texas....:D

Marianne or gardener718

Hello Kathleen:

I don't know if you and wanna cruise are emailing, and I don't mean to cut in, butttt... I love to cruise and will be sailing to South America on the Golden Princess on March 20 for 16 nights. It looks like you have been there. Is there anything that I should not miss? can you hire someone off the ship for a tour and is it safe? Not familiar with any of these ports. Anyway, I would like to chat with you ladies. This board thing is new to me, I wish I would have found it many years ago. Well I will await hearing from both of you. Its time for beddy bye here. Later.

Marianne or gardener718

I also love this board. I am officially 6 months away from 55. I will be 55 in August. I love cruising. I went on my first cruise as a birthday/college gradudation gift from my Mother and sisters. I was hooked. I am currently booked solo for my 5th cruise on the Carnival Liberty 5/6/07. This is my first solo and I am actually looking forward to it. I will have to continue to work if I want to cruise every year. I plan at some time to take my grandchildren. But not yet!!

I like also HAL, There aren`t too many kids. You usually find them on 7 day cruises. I went 14 days last april on the ryndam, I didn`t see 1 child or teenager on board. EVen at 56 years old I am one of the younger one

on board.

Hi, Marianne.

I was in So. America on NCL a couple years ago with another couple. They liked going on their own, so we found a wonderful individual tour in Puero Montt run by an American and his Chilean wife. I'll have to see if I can find their e-mail address. They meet you at the dock in their VW van and take you everywhere for a lot less than the ship's tour, and even stop at a very nice cafe for lunch. We also found a taxi to take us around in Argentina, but they didn't speak very good English so that wasn't such a good idea. But we also found a young man in a taxi in Montevideo who was charming and took us everywhere including his home. What a sweetie he was. Too bad I didn't keep his address. The empenadas in Ushuaia were to die for. I dreaded this cruise, and it ended up being one of the best trips I ever took. So glad I didn't miss it.

Re being safe, I felt safe as I was with another couple, but don't know if I would do anything but ship's tours if I was alone. Watch eating the fruit - I picked up something in Santiago that took a while to get over.

I am doing two cruises this year - Pacific Coast and New York/New Orleans and around the Caribbean - both solo. I plan to either go with another group on tours or will use the ships's tours.

Take care.

Hi Kathleen:

Thanks for answering my post. This was the first response that I have gotten. I was feeling like I was on the outside looking in, as the saying goes. Do you travel by yourself? Doesn't the single supplement make you feel like you could have another vacation. I have never traveled with someone that I did not know at all (where the cruise sets you up) I have managed to find someone pretty much every year. The woman that I have traveled with has recently re-married, and although we are going to SA, I do not know what the future will bring. I just discovered these boards, and maybe by chatting might develope others who are also in the same position. I know that you cannot ask for room-mates, but getting to know someone might develope into same.

Do you know the people yet when you speak of going on tours, or do you meet them on the ship?

I would appreciate any information that you can give me.

Cruising is the best way to travel. When I find someone willing to cruise, I tell them I don't care where, so I have done the caribbean many times. I am easy going, and have learned that you make the best of a situation and do not let something you can't control ruin your vacation. No matter.

I have been to Australia, the mediterranean, panama canal, mexican riviera, Hawaaii 2X, venezuala. I usually try to find the most for the least. After this trip, I will only need 9 days to become elite with Princess. They offer the best perks for return cruisers.

I have been on Carnival (many years ago) NCL, RCL, Premier, American Hawaaii, The Zenith, Holland American, Disney. Thats all I can think of now. I have not done Alaska (and that is on my list) and I would like to do the fall colors on the New England, Canada route. Actually, I would like to see New Orleans, Texas, New York. Wow, sorry about bending your ear. I will stop for now. I hope to hear from you with some of your adventures.

Marianne

Hi, Marianne.

Until I started going on these boards, I knew no one when I went aboard. I usually go on ships that have freestyle dining so I can eat when and where I want. Ive been on a couple cruises where we had assigned seating and I had at least one tablemate that made dining pretty miserable. With the freestyle, I usually find a waiter/waitress I like and ask for them and I usually get them. This way, your tablemates are totally different usually every meal and everyone are generally very interesting. On formal nights, I sometimes just go to the buffet and forget dressing up. Just lazy, I guess.

I have been to Alaska twice, Hawaii, Panama Canal, Australia/New Zealand, Boston to Quebec and back, Mississippi River on a riverboat for 3 days, South America around the Horn, Mexico. My next two cruises are along the Pacific Coast from L.A. to Vancouver (Princess), then transfer to another ship and come back overnight to Seattle - my kids will pick me up there. Then a repositioning cruise in November from New York all around the Caribbean and back up to New Orleans (NCL). Next year, I want to find a European cruise I can afford, either Scandanavia or Mediterranean. I found one I really liked from Amsterdam to Rome, but they want $600 deposit plus the cruise was about $3500 - and that is out of my price range. So, I'll keep looking. The repositioning cruises are the cheapest as they have to move the ships and don't want to do it with them empty.

I don't know anyone when I go aboard - I have met some lovely people on the tours, but have not kept in touch with any of them. Being on these boards, you meet people. I met a bunch of people on line before my last cruise in 2005, but I was still pretty much alone except for a couple get-togethers.

I do better on ships where we are in port a lot. I get bored when we are at sea too long. There's lots to do aboard, but even then, I run out of things to keep me interested. I don't drink or smoke and only gamble a little, so I have to find other diversions. I love the shows and try to attend them if I can.

I have a time share in Santa Fe, NM, that I just purchased a year or so ago, and that's the other place I love to be. But as I am still working and only get three weeks' vacation, I have to rent out the time share for this year as I want to get my cruising in and won't have any time left to use it. Too bad.

You can see I talk too much. I hope to hear from you again. Good luck with your plans.

Hi Wanna Cruise:

I don't know if I was notified of your message because it was for me or just because I subscribed to the 55+.:confused: Well, I hope you might be talking to me. I would love to find others, such as myself that love to cruise. I see you live in Texas, I have never been there, and you can see I live in Chicago. Have you ever been here? I am that young 62 that people talk about, at least "I" think I am. There are many good deals out there, and sometimes the air fare costs as much or more than the cruise. I am platinum on princess and will just need 9 more days to be elite after this cruise. I hope to hear from you soon. m.loughman@sbcglobal.net I usually look for the most for the least and have not traveled solo because of that single suppliment. Well i will await more news from Texas....:D

Marianne or gardener718

Hi Marianne! I thought I had subscribed to this thread too but got no notice that I had a message. Sorry about not seeing this sooner!

I have never been to Chicago, no. Some day maybe ... *shrugs* Texas has a port and New Orleans is not too fair from here either. I have pretty much done the Western Caribean. After the 2 cruises I have booked for this year, this will make 5 Western Caribbeans for me. Although I have found something different to do each time. I guess it just takes several times to actually see everything you want to see.

I am ready to try somewhere else. I have always wanted to try Eastern, down to St Thomas or Aruba or in that direction, even San Juan. Anywhere I have not been. Down the mexican riviara looks like fun to me too. In a few years, I hope to have the time and the funds to try a longer cruise. Alaska, med, South America or what my daughter calls a "real" cruise! LOL But for now, I am stuck doing the 7 or 8 days to "somewhere, anywhere!"

Is Princess generally more expensive than Carnival? I have gotten some great deals on our cruises with Carnival. I have never cruised with anyone else so that would be a learner experience for me!

Since I am not independantly wealthy, I too need to share the ticket. For the price of the extra of a solo cruise, I can do all the excursions and still have cash left over for a down payment on the next cruise!

Hope to hear back from you soon!

Hi, Marianne.

Until I started going on these boards, I knew no one when I went aboard. I usually go on ships that have freestyle dining so I can eat when and where I want. Ive been on a couple cruises where we had assigned seating and I had at least one tablemate that made dining pretty miserable. With the freestyle, I usually find a waiter/waitress I like and ask for them and I usually get them. This way, your tablemates are totally different usually every meal and everyone are generally very interesting. On formal nights, I sometimes just go to the buffet and forget dressing up. Just lazy, I guess.

I have been to Alaska twice, Hawaii, Panama Canal, Australia/New Zealand, Boston to Quebec and back, Mississippi River on a riverboat for 3 days, South America around the Horn, Mexico. My next two cruises are along the Pacific Coast from L.A. to Vancouver (Princess), then transfer to another ship and come back overnight to Seattle - my kids will pick me up there. Then a repositioning cruise in November from New York all around the Caribbean and back up to New Orleans (NCL). Next year, I want to find a European cruise I can afford, either Scandanavia or Mediterranean. I found one I really liked from Amsterdam to Rome, but they want $600 deposit plus the cruise was about $3500 - and that is out of my price range. So, I'll keep looking. The repositioning cruises are the cheapest as they have to move the ships and don't want to do it with them empty.

I don't know anyone when I go aboard - I have met some lovely people on the tours, but have not kept in touch with any of them. Being on these boards, you meet people. I met a bunch of people on line before my last cruise in 2005, but I was still pretty much alone except for a couple get-togethers.

I do better on ships where we are in port a lot. I get bored when we are at sea too long. There's lots to do aboard, but even then, I run out of things to keep me interested. I don't drink or smoke and only gamble a little, so I have to find other diversions. I love the shows and try to attend them if I can.

I have a time share in Santa Fe, NM, that I just purchased a year or so ago, and that's the other place I love to be. But as I am still working and only get three weeks' vacation, I have to rent out the time share for this year as I want to get my cruising in and won't have any time left to use it. Too bad.

You can see I talk too much. I hope to hear from you again. Good luck with your plans.

Hi Kathleen:

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. It might be easier if we email directly. I have included my email in previous postings and if you will email me yours we can chat. I am doing that with wanna_cruise (Kay). She lives in Texas, and I see you live in CA. We are all over the map, but that might be interesting, kind of net working. I enjoy talking about, planning, finding the best deals, and of course taking cruises. I am also a person that drinks little if at all, does not smoke and rarely gambles. (not a good looser) LOL.

I can also get a little wordy, but today I must get myself moving and off the computer. Hope to hear from you.

Marianne m.loughman@sbcglobal.net

I also love this board. I am officially 6 months away from 55. I will be 55 in August. I love cruising. I went on my first cruise as a birthday/college gradudation gift from my Mother and sisters. I was hooked. I am currently booked solo for my 5th cruise on the Carnival Liberty 5/6/07. This is my first solo and I am actually looking forward to it. I will have to continue to work if I want to cruise every year. I plan at some time to take my grandchildren. But not yet!!

I love cruising too. I have never done a solo, I can't afford the cost and besides it seems more fun to have someone to talk too. LOL We are looking for others who would like to cruise with us maybe as a group of women, that might be fun .. tulip_in_texas@hotmail.com if you want to give me a shout.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Sorry I didn't post sooner, but between the job and the grandkids' soccer games, I get exhausted and don't give myself enough time to sit down and post.

I am getting excited about my cruise in May on the Diamond Princess. We have a very busy thread and now that we have made the final payment, we are now talking about what tours we are going to take. I am taking at least one of the ship's tours in nearly every port, except Victoria and Vancouver - too much money for what they offer, and I've been to every port except Astoria, OR. So, I will go with one of the guys and his mom to Butchart Gardens in Victoria - such a beautiful place to visit.

And tonight, I booked my 2008 cruise from Lisbon to Amsterdam on the Prinsendam - I would have liked to go to Rome and/or Scandinavia, but I can't afford to do more than I have booked. I'll do that in 2009 if I am still well. I booked the only single room - about $200 cheaper than the next cheapest room. I like the location - midships on a lower deck - less motion. It's a smaller ship so should be nice and friendly. I think there is only one sea day which I also like. I want to visit as many cities as I can. This is an 11 day cruise, long enough for the time I have.

If I can retire sometime this year, I'd love to do a cruise with us gals. I think that would be so much fun. But I have to see what happens. I am overbooked for trips considering I only get three weeks' vacation every year.

Talk to everyone later.

Hi Kathleen, Kay, Betty, and anyone else whose name I missed. Seems quite on the boards. i know everyone is busy, but lets try to keep in touch. I haven't quite gotten excited about my cruise yet, still 2 months off. Although I do have clothes hung on over the door hangers. Just to see what fits, and if its snug, not a good idea. LOL. Its hard to keep the information that everyone posts assigned to the proper person when you are posting, especially when everyone has a different name. What's everyone up to. I am going to say good nite for now, but hope I will see a message tomorrow.

Marianne (gardender718)

Hi everyone.

Three more months before I sail on my next cruise. Once I got everything paid for, I started getting excited. My active message board is coming up with some really fun ideas for tours. A couple people and I decided to do a Duck Tour in San Francisco. My sister in law lives near there, but when I go up to visit, we never go into the city - parking is just too hard. So, I am not counting on seeing her this time. She and her friend were supposed to pick me up when I was on the Vision in 2005, but at the last minute, something came up and I was left in the lurch. So, this time, I won't say anything or count on anyone.

I changed the 2008 cruise from May to September. That cruise goes from Amsterdam to London, Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar, Monte Carlo and ends in Rome. It's a 14-day cruise as opposed to the 11 day, so costs more. But I have a few more months to save for it. I got the same ship with the same single room so I'm really happy about that.

Today, I had a blood test to see if I have diabetes or not. I won't know for a while, but I am reading up on it, especially for the diet. I had to stop my other diet as it has too much sugar and carbs, and when I contacted the dietician, all she said is that it is a balanced diet, but if you have diabetes, there are a lot more restrictions.

Anyway, I just got home and need to relax before I head for bed. It is finally raining here in L.A. for a change. We are about 5 inches below what we should have and have even been getting wildfires in January - unheard of. It started raining hard for a few minutes after I got in the house. It is so nice out. I love it as long as it doesn't start flooding.

Take care. Hope to hear from you all again.

Hi Kathleen and all the rest of you not checking the boards..

Just a quik not to say hi. I will soon begin to get excited, and who knows, maybe even start packing and unpacking LOL too much, too little, wow, I have some extra room, lets stuff something else in there. You all know what I mean i'm sure. Lets all get together and try to be online at the same time. Later.

Marianne (gardener718) Happy Cruising :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just found this thread, but the last post seems to have been in March. Might be nice to see it active. Maybe focus more on helpful hints for seniors in general and also, solo, whatever the reason, seniors. I am a 3rd year widow, after 37 years of marriage. Mother of two, Grandmother of 6.

My 3rd cruise is in September, Alaskan, Van Couver to LA. Originally booked a solo, but then a relative decided to cruise with me. I am addicted to cruising and plan more in the future. Next I hope to do the Panama Canal. Anyone like to chat? Laura :)

Hi Laura: and Doris if you're out there. I am in the final stages of selling my house, closing is July 6, will have more time then to cultivate new friendships and cruising buddies. I too am single and paying the solo price goes against my grain (pocketbook too). Anyway just a not to say I am out here and will have more time soon. Messages would be great, I need encouragement. Soon to all of you.

Marianne

Hi,

Welcome to the board. It is not very active. What do you want to chat about? If at anytime you are looking for a buddie to cruise with, drop me a line and let's talk offline. doriemae @ hotmail dot com.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd stop by and say hello. In truth, I meet the qualifications to post as a 55+cruiser, as well as a single cruiser who will be going on my first solo cruise in October 2008.

I finally make the leap to book a solo cruise because I got tired of feeling like a "fifth wheel" when I cruised with other family members. Since I am single and far, far from rich, I have thus far only been able to cruise once a year and must shop carefully for the one I select.

I think this area of posting on CC would draw more attention from other 55+ers if there were some topics posted they could relate to, instead of one post with lots of great responses. If I hadn't seen the date of the last post, I would have skipped over the thread and went on reading somewhere else....

I'd love to keep in touch with others in my "boat" who have fallen in love with cruising. I'm sure there's a lot we can share with each other about our experiences.

Have a great day!

Cindy