Welcome!

LauraS

Life just happens. Events kind of decide how much posting gets done. If you belong to the site you get a notice when someone posts.

I live in Palatine, IL, and when I glanced at your town, I thought wow someone else here.

I too love to cruise and as you can see from previous posts there are a few of us.

Soon I will be able to apply more time to the site, and meet some others. I am in contact with Doris.

I have not been unable to accept that single supplement. At least not yet. I seach out roommates. So far no one that I did not know, but maybe soon, huh, Doris. anyway, I think we would all like to comunicate with each other and maybe set up some cruises.

Sorry you have felt like a 5th wheel, do you mean in the room? Or with others that are pairs? There are always people to meet and places to get together.

Please do not hesitat to contact me. Keep me posted on you upcoming cruise.

My sister-in-law and I are going to Canada/New England this October and I am very much excited.

Keep in touch.

Marianne

• 1 month later...

I'm 71 and a senior lady and proud of it. I'm obese but very healthy so manage quite well.

I cruise two or three times a year, always looking for the bargains - sometimes I'm lucky and sometimes not. I don't want a roommate since I took a friend with me on two cruises and she was totally co-dependent and fussed about everything - even then, we each had our own room. She made the trips very uncomfortable. So, I go it alone, and with only one exception, I usually have a great time - I can come and go when I want, where I want and talk to who I want. It is fun to be with friends, but there are times I want to be alone.

I met some people on my last cruise that are fun to be with so we are meeting again in February to do the 7-day Mexico cruise. We meet for meals and sometimes hang out a bit on sea days, but when we are in port, we go our own ways - some like to go on their own and some, like myself, prefer to take the tours. Best of all worlds.

I wouldn't mind meeting people to join me on a cruise, but no roomies. Just a friend to pal around with for dinner, etc.

• 3 months later...

FYI - Wendys and Long John Silver gives discounts to anyone over 55. Sometimes you have to ask for it and sometimes you don't. I guess depending on how bad you look on certain days they just seem to know you are a member of the fabulous over 50 club. (I'm 58).

I realized that I really looked my age last year when I was boarding a tender to go back to my ship (Norwegian SUN) and two young guys working on the tender held out their hands and said, "come on granny, we'll help you onboard" :eek: :) . Guess who didn't get a tip that day :p

• 6 months later...

Hi All

Seems this thread has run out of comments. I was just wondering if anyone had any good tips about the Mexican Riveria - DH and I will be going in September 2008.:D We have been there before but haven't done any tours.

• 2 months later...

I know what you mean 4seasidegal, I just found this forum and was having fun reading the posts in the beginning, then I went to the end and everybody seemed to poop out.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the Mexican Riviera, we've only been to the Cozumel, Cancun side.

We are going to Nova Scoita and New Brunswick 9/14 on the Norwegion Dream. My husband and I love cruising and try to do it as much as our funds will allow. This will be our 14th cruise.

Hope to hear from more of us "seasoned citizens".

Hi All

Seems this thread has run out of comments. I was just wondering if anyone had any good tips about the Mexican Riveria - DH and I will be going in September 2008.:D We have been there before but haven't done any tours.

Glad you revived this thread -- sounds interesting... DH and I will be going to the MR in 2/22/09 on the Mariner - inaguaral cruise -

Be nice to hear about your trip and your tours ,etc... Corkey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
HI,

Just curious about what benefits I can look forward to next year when one of us (yea!!! HIM, not me!) turns 55...

So whats the scoop?

You get some sort of discount - I turned 55 five yrs before the mister and we our discounts cuz of me. Corkey

• 3 months later...
Here's a forum *just* for seniors to share their cruising experiences!

What is the "best" cruise line for those 55+?

Are there any special perks seniors can expect from the cruise lines?

Browse Cruise Critic's Hot New Options for Seniors, then share your own "hot" tips for other senior cruisers!

Laura

What happened to this board? Did it become the Singles Cruises board? When I clicked on the 55+ link, that is the board that popped up. :confused:

Steve

• 1 month later...

Just joined this forum and went directly to this board to make my first post.

The cruise lines may be one of the last places a "55" + person can get a senior discount. Many restaurants either don't have a program, use a "senior meal" (read small) section to their menus or use 62 as their senior age. It's very understandable though. We baby boomers are a major segment of the purchasing public whether it be cruises or cupcakes. We have most of the money and they know we want to spend it. What business is just starting to learn is that we seasoned citizens want tons of value for each of those hard earned dollars. And, if we don't get it, we let it be known and then go somewhere else. We are also the kindest, and most generous group. We pay for quality regardless of where it was made, and tip as deserved, not what is expected.

We know alot!

We have a thirst for knowledge

We read!

We can see the forest through the trees because we planted it!

We know the difference between a fool and being silly.

We can now laugh at just about everything.

We have known that life's too short from the first funeral we attended.

We want it all and we want it.....well at least during the next sailing.

Thanks for listening and I'll be talkin' to ya.

RP

Edited by Road Pirate

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone.:) I'd like join the forum, as I turned 57 last week (DH is 66). We are fairly new to the world of cruising (but definitely addicted) since our retirement and have planned a few more for future years.

For those of you who have been to Australia, Yeppoon, our home town is a small coastal community in Central Queensland.

Hope to chat more with you all.

Regards,

Kinkacruiser

As you may have noticed there has not been too much activity on this board. Would certainly like to see more of us posting.

Welcome.

I have been to Austrailia, but would certainly love to go again. Traveling with someone who was ill and much of the trip was in caretaking. She has since passed away and I am glad that I was able to give her some memories.

Marianne

I too check on this thread and am sorry to see so few posts. I started cruising with RCCL several years ago and am always happy to share my experiences with other cruisers - especially folks around my age (60).

My mother (78) just passed away two weeks ago and Dad (83) and I are going to "get away" for awhile on a short cruise in August.

I have yet to cruise solo, but that's definitely on my "to-do" list. I always enjoy cruising with family and friends, but at least one time I want to come and go as I please, when I please. I may be disappointed, but I won't know until I've tried.

BTW - I passed up a land/air trip to Scotland (Dad wanted to treat) in favor of a cruise. Guess that tells you how much I love being onboard a ship!

Thanks for the welcome Marianne. I agree with yourself and Cindy in that I was surprised at the rate of posting. I would have thought that as there were more cruisers in the 55+ group, this forum would be buzzing. Never mind, I'm sure I will enjoy my time here.

Cindy, so sorry to hear about your loss. I do wish you a wonderful August "Getaway" cruise with your father.

Regards,

Anna

Anna,

Australia! My adventuring have not yet taken me to your part of the world. My best friend and her new husband honeymooned in Australia a few years back. Loved the people and the land and have promised to return someday.

I'm looking forward to posting here with others my "age." There's always some hint or another we can share to make cruising a more memorable experience for all "mature" cruisers!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Hi Cindy

We would love to visit the US one day too...the fiords of the NW and New England colours would be a must see on any cruises there.

I'm happy that I decided to move over to this board to share tips and experiences.

Look forward to "chatting".

Regards,

Anna

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Independence Day, Everyone! I just wanted to touch base and see what's happening on "our" thread...

It's slowly (too slowly!) approaching sailaway for my Dad and me - he needs the break and I just need a cruise!:) I'm super pleased to be a "senior" because I was able to snag a Junior Suite for us at a great price.

I guess having a few grey hairs helps keep more green in your pocket, hey?

Will check in again soon....

Ha, I kind of forgot when I posted here to introduce myself.

I'm David and my wife is Barbara. I just turned 60 in June and my darling wife of 37 years is....ah....a few years younger. I think I did that right ;) Anyway we are pretty much ready for our next cruise on Aug 22. and already looking at taking one to Hawaii. I wouldn't say that we are addicted, but if money was no object, the lawn would be longer, and the flowers would be a bit more overgrown.

Guess I'd better pop over to my cruise call and see what's happening.

See you a little later

Edited by Road Pirate

• 3 weeks later...

I think everyone is just busy on other boards. I always check in when someone posts.

"I" just turned the big 65 on July 18th. Alaska is a birthday present to myself. First one as a solo. Boston to NOLA was really, really, cheap.

Would gladly post with others who find this thread.

Keep sailing!

Best,

Marianne

I've been posting on the board a couple of times..and have gotten into trouble already..but just now saw this "introduction: thread... :)

I'm 62, my husband is 68. We are owned by four cats, one of whom is asleep in my lap as I type this. Since I use a wheelchair full-time for mobility, there is always an available lap, always occupied by a cat! :)

We're both retired, retired early and hoped to vacation a lot, but with the crashing market, have had to scale back our plans some. No kids to worry about, but inheritances don't go as far as they used to! :)

We've cruised on Princess, Carnival and NCL in the past, most recently on NCL for a New England Fall Colors cruise. I'm working on plans for a Panama Canal cruise late in 2010 or early 2011.

Glad to be here..

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to 1/2 price cruising as I will hit 55 before we depart for Alaska CruiseTour in June 2010. Although, I guess it's really a crap shoot as to whether the cruise lines give the price break.

Does anyone have the inside scoop on how that's figured out?

Thanks

RCCL Platinum

Last cruise - Jun 09 Explorer to Eastern Caribbean:D

Edited by stockholmcruiser

Looking forward to 1/2 price cruising as I will hit 55 before we depart for Alaska CruiseTour in June 2010. Although, I guess it's really a crap shoot as to whether the cruise lines give the price break.

Does anyone have the inside scoop on how that's figured out?

Thanks

RCCL Platinum

Last cruise - Jun 09 Explorer to Eastern Caribbean:D

I don't know where you heard seniors get 1/2 price, but if you find the place please, please let me know.

A few lines give a senior discount, but, I have never seen 50%.

Welcome, and have fun cruising.

I know, I am.

Marianne

I don't know where you heard seniors get 1/2 price, but if you find the place please, please let me know.

A few lines give a senior discount, but, I have never seen 50%.

Welcome, and have fun cruising.

I know, I am.

Marianne

Discounts for cruises? Yes for seniors...Usually a less desireable area of ship, but we can hope for better deals. I would like to try a suite some 7 day cruise. JY.