just curious! Hurricane Cancellations

This whole tropical storm business has got me to thinking "What are the chances that my cruise will be cancelled or delayed on Oct 2nd?"

How many of you have had trouble crusing in October? I'm looking so forward to this cruise, I want the hurricane to stay away.

Where are you cruising? Last October I was cruising the Mexican Riviera and the ship was diverted and our whole itinerary changed because of Tropical Storm Lester. We missed our port in Ixtapa because of it, but were able to make the rest of our port stops, (but out of order.)

Other than that, keep an Eye on the Tropical Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico satallites. They can show you storms that form and possilbly approach. Also the NOAA Hurricane center. Great info on approaching storms.

I read on the NOAA site today this is the EARLIEST that 4 named storms have occured since records have been kept. Cindy may dump lots of rain on GA, and Dennis seems to be taking a similar path!

Looks like they were right in predicting lots of storms this season! :eek:

Good luck on your October Cruise!

Jacquelyn :D

I just read a website that listed all the hurricanes in the last 25 years. Most hurricanes occur in August and September. Only one in the last 25 years was in early October and one other was in the last week in October--a weak category 1 hurricane that caused mostly flooding damage in the panhandle of Florida. Perhaps if I was cruising the Gulf of Mexico in August or September, I would be more worried. I figure the NCL Dawn was able to handle a 70 foot wave that came out of nowhere without any serious injuries to any passengers, so I'm really not concerned about a hurricane that can be watched for days in advance in order to divert a ship in another direction. If all we do is cruise at sea to avoid a hurricane for my whole 10 day cruise, I will be happy just to be away from work.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

Tropical storms tends to form lets say from florida west early and late in the season. the middle part of the season stroms form east in the Atlantic. usually by Oct the storms are back to the west. So western iten would be bothered more. This is not scientific just observation.

4 storms by july 5 egads. Charlie the first of the big ones last year hit August Fri the 13th

Archived