Help with post cruise hotel.

DrSeuss

Hi, I am going on Allure next July and am looking at a post cruise hotel for approx 10 days. We are not going to hire a car but are going to use taxis and water taxis. I want to use a pool and the beach. I would like to shop and visits restaurants some by walking distance in the evening. Any hints i was looking maybe lago mar or Atlantic or the B ocean?

Lago Mar isn't really walking distance to anything. B Ocean is walking distance to a few restaurants near the beach but nothing well-rated other than the Asian one in the hotel and Primante's Pizza & Subs. It is walking distance to Galleria though. Pier 66 isn't walking distance to the beach. Atlantic and Lago Mar aren't close to water taxi.

Have you also looked at W, Westin, Ritz Carlton, Marriott Beach Place and Courtyard? They are in a better location for walking to more restaurants and water taxi than any of the hotels that you have mentioned, and they are all right across the street from the beach.

The Doubletree Gallery One might work for you. Water Taxi stop right at the hotel, nice pool, small beach like area on the waterway, and about 10 minute or less walk to the real beach.

Lot's of restaurants in walking distance.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The Doubletree Gallery One might work for you. Water Taxi stop right at the hotel, nice pool, small beach like area on the waterway, and about 10 minute or less walk to the real beach.

Lot's of restaurants in walking distance.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree that Gallery One is a very good choice. They have suites too, which might be better for 10 nights. You might find special rates on hiltonfamilymvp after signing in with your free hhonors acct. And if it rains you can go next door to the mall.

Thank you for all your replies. We are staying at the doubletree Gallery one for 2 nights pre cruise but because I read the pool is small I didnt fancy it for the longer stay afterwards. I will look into the other options you have suggested today.

If pool size is important to you, also check out Marriott Harbor Beach. It's the only hotel in the area with a really significant pool size. It's only 2 blocks from water taxi.
Agree with the Marriott.

Keep this in mind, depending upon the time of year, it may be too hot for a pool if the pool isn't oceanfront so don't let that be your deciding factor.

I'd take having a kitchenette in the Doubletree with a small pool over no kitchen with a great pool.

Good luck!

Okay, I have done lots more research and I am looking at Pelican, Marriott Habour, W or Ritz Carlton. I know that none are really walking distance to shops etc? I think? But I have decided I want to be very near the beach with a nice pool and we will get a taxi to the restaurants/shops. Which would you go for?

We are staying in "The Pillars Hotel" in Fort Lauderdale but it's pricey. It has a water taxi stop though and is a lovely hotel.

Andrea :)

O it does look amazing, but a little too much for us :o ( a girls got to shop too! :D) but thank you.

Okay, I have done lots more research and I am looking at Pelican, Marriott Habour, W or Ritz Carlton. I know that none are really walking distance to shops etc? I think? But I have decided I want to be very near the beach with a nice pool and we will get a taxi to the restaurants/shops. Which would you go for?

Ritz Carlton is right next to Beach Place. This is where most of the beach area shops are (not great shopping really at the beach) and you can walk to lots of restaurants from there. W is only a few blocks north too. We have stayed there and walked to the main beach area for dinner in less than 15 minutes.

The W Hotel is my first choice, amazing pool! Second, I agree with Royal with the Ritz Carlton.

The Pillars is amazing!

O my thank you! Getting stressed. The W dont do king size rooms for 2 adults and 1 child. We would have 2 queens. My first choice really is one big bed and a sofa bed for ds. Ritz Carlton apparently would be £1200 more! Thinking maybe the Pelican but dh thinks its a little small. The Hilton Beach Resort seems to have bad reviews. The hyatt seems too far away from the beach and strolling distance to anything!

Ok decision made. Gallery one - double tree for 2 nights pre cruise then W for 9 nights post. Just waiting for confirmation and to pay my deposit in the morning so if anyone has any horror stories about these two lease let me know now!

Ok decision made. Gallery one - double tree for 2 nights pre cruise then W for 9 nights post. Just waiting for confirmation and to pay my deposit in the morning so if anyone has any horror stories about these two lease let me know now!

I think you made a great choice!!

Make sure you try: Roccos Tacos, Lobster Bar, Royal Pig, Big City Tavern, and Cheesecake Factory on Las Olas!

I love the W, but since you have a child, there is something you should know. Most of the rooms are set up so that you can see straight into the shower through a glass wall from the bedroom part of the room. There are some "family rooms" that have a solid wall or louvers. The handicap rooms also have a solid wall. So specify this when you book. Also, there are 2 pools. On the weekend, the pool overlooking the beach can get a little wild (there is a DJ and there is a pool party somewhat open to the public in the summer), so you might enjoy the quieter pool overlooking the intracoastal on the weekend.

I think you made a great choice!!

Make sure you try: Roccos Tacos, Lobster Bar, Royal Pig, Big City Tavern, and Cheesecake Factory on Las Olas!

Oooo thank you so much I will def eat in all of those, they sound interesting. We have been to the cheesecake factory in Orlando and love it so am very excited that you have told us thete is one in Fort Lauderdale? Thank you....any more recommendation please tell ...we ate big foodies:D

I love the W, but since you have a child, there is something you should know. Most of the rooms are set up so that you can see straight into the shower through a glass wall from the bedroom part of the room. There are some "family rooms" that have a solid wall or louvers. The handicap rooms also have a solid wall. So specify this when you book. Also, there are 2 pools. On the weekend, the pool overlooking the beach can get a little wild (there is a DJ and there is a pool party somewhat open to the public in the summer), so you might enjoy the quieter pool overlooking the intracoastal on the weekend.

O! :o I will ask my travel agent to request a family room...thank you I dont want to be showering in my bikini:eek: Thank you very much.

Do you know if we can take a taxi to Sawgrass Mill and back?

Oooo thank you so much I will def eat in all of those, they sound interesting. We have been to the cheesecake factory in Orlando and love it so am very excited that you have told us thete is one in Fort Lauderdale? Thank you....any more recommendation please tell ...we ate big foodies:D

JohnnyV Las Olas

Bahia Cabana waterfront

Aruba oceanfront

You can take a cab out to Sawgrass but round trip will negate any savings you would have at the stores. It is a bit of a haul. I would suggest going on priceline and hiring a cheap car. I've gotten them for less than $20 for the day in off season.

Also, talk to the concierge at The W. They should be able to arrange some sort of shuttle or private driver.

Archived