Paris & Normandy - ports

cigloo

Hello all,

We are going on an AMA Waterways cruise - Paris & Normandy and not sure what to do for the time we are in Vernon/Caudebec (Normandy Beaches). We are thinking a private tour to utilize the time so we can get going and go where we want to go.

Any suggestions - feedback?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Hello all,

We are going on an AMA Waterways cruise - Paris & Normandy and not sure what to do for the time we are in Vernon/Caudebec (Normandy Beaches). We are thinking a private tour to utilize the time so we can get going and go where we want to go.

Thanks!

Jennifer

We are looking at this cruise for July 2014. When are you going?

Hello all,

Thanks!

Jennifer

Looking at the AMA site, you have loads of options when you get to Caudebec, the problem will be working out where to go to & that will be based on what type of experience you want.

Note that it will take at least 2 hours to get to the landing sites from your boat (about the same time as it would take to drive back to Paris !!)

Normandy (and especially Calvados) is a magical place of lovely small towns / villages and a number of very moving WW2 locations. You will be spoilt for choice and will only see a small fraction of the sites. I attach a link to the local Tourist website http://www.calvados-tourisme.co.uk/en/ - this shows more information on the options.

We took this itinerary using Avalon. Our itinerary was very similar but it seems we used Rouen, not Vernon to get to Normandy. Nonetheless, Avalon, and I am sure Ama does too, because they receive nothing but glowing reviews, has a very full and comprehensive tour day for Normandy. Either the landing beaches, which were led by very knowledgable and passionate about the subject tour guides, or if you chose, tour of the Normandy region.

The tours left at 8:00 a.m. and you are gone until shortly before dinner. I'm not sure how much earlier you would leave on a private tour. If you take a private tour, you would need to return at the same time as the bus tours, so the distance traveled would not be much different.

There is a Paris/Normandy roll call with cruisers from the various lines discussing. Several are sailing Ama. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1792931

Personally, the all day tour is already included in your cruise fare. Unless what you wish to experience is not included in one of the offered tours, I see no advantage of booking a private tour. (Unless money is no object to you, or, you have health or disability issues where it is necessary) jmo

We took this itinerary using Avalon. Our itinerary was very similar but it seems we used Rouen, not Vernon to get to Normandy. Nonetheless, Avalon, and I am sure Ama does too, because they receive nothing but glowing reviews, has a very full and comprehensive tour day for Normandy. Either the landing beaches, which were led by very knowledgable and passionate about the subject tour guides, or if you chose, tour of the Normandy region.

The tours left at 8:00 a.m. and you are gone until shortly before dinner. I'm not sure how much earlier you would leave on a private tour. If you take a private tour, you would need to return at the same time as the bus tours, so the distance traveled would not be much different.

There is a Paris/Normandy roll call with cruisers from the various lines discussing. Several are sailing Ama. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1792931

Personally, the all day tour is already included in your cruise fare. Unless what you wish to experience is not included in one of the offered tours, I see no advantage of booking a private tour. (Unless money is no object to you, or, you have health or disability issues where it is necessary) jmo

Good info, thanks Got2Cruise. Did you write a review of your Paris-Normandy cruise?

2014 marks the 70th anniversary of Normandy's D-Day, and there will be commemorations.

Did you spend pre or post cruise time in Paris? Where did you stay in Paris?

Thanks!

Good info, thanks Got2Cruise. Did you write a review of your Paris-Normandy cruise?

2014 marks the 70th anniversary of Normandy's D-Day, and there will be commemorations.

Did you spend pre or post cruise time in Paris? Where did you stay in Paris?

Thanks!

Yes we spent pre cruise in Paris. We stayed at a small boutique hotel, Hotel Vernueil. We loved Paris. I wrote a lot of hints on the roll call thread and also posted a formal review in the review section.

Yes we spent pre cruise in Paris. We stayed at a small boutique hotel, Hotel Vernueil. We loved Paris. I wrote a lot of hints on the roll call thread and also posted a formal review in the review section.

Great! I will look for your review and the roll call thread.

Thanks!

Archived