are there lots of formal gowns?

Normajean999

I would say definitely get as dressed up as you want. I had a very dressy short dress but saw several ladies in formal, long gowns and they by no means looked out of place. I do caution you though about wearing a dress with a train. On my cruise, there was an area where pics were taken and there were tons of people walking around. I'm afraid a train might get stepped on causing you to fly off your feet!

Enjoy your first cruise and the formal night!

I say go for it! I hate to dress up and formal wear just isn't my style so I'll never be jealous or envious but I will certainly compliment someone else when they look nice. If you enjoy it, it's allllll that matters.

I will wear shoes though, no bedroom slippers. I wouldn't wear them to Walmart but I do see that sometimes. We are casual but not "that" casual.

• 3 weeks later...

Through the years, we've gone from the formal gowns to short cocktail dresses or pants with a sparkly top, but you will certainly see long formal gowns. The only caution I would offer is the train. If you have your heart set on one with a train, just be aware that you might just have it stepped on in crowded areas and elevators, caught in an automatic door, or snagged due to intentionally rough areas intended to keep your feet/shoes from slipping.

make yourself and your hubby happy.. the people without manners who stare are people you will never see again so why worry. it's your cruise (your $$) do whatever will make you happy. when the other women see your hubby in a Tux I suspect they will mention it to their hubs.

Hello all! I am going on my first cruise in November on the Carnival Dream. So excited! I am looking at formal gowns because I think it would be fun to get all dressed up as I've never had a need to in my life. My question is - are lots of ladies still wearing formal gowns? And in particular how formal? I am looking at gowns with a train. Am I going to look like a dork and be the only one?! My DH has even agreed to wear a tux :) Thanks for you time!

a train is overkill. far more prevalent with be dressy cocktail dresses with a small minority in full length gowns /tuxes and a larger percentage that won't go any more exciting than a nice top and slacks.

DH always wears his dress uniform and/or his kilt and I am always in a full length gown.. but we also do many military events that call for such so I have them on hand.

we tend to stick out.

Our last Carnival Cruise, which is our Last one, had more tattoos than Tuxes. Carnival has really dressed down across the board. We are now solidly Princess and are going Full Formal. Yes it is a totally different atmosphere, but it is one that I want to be in.

Oh the bedroom slippers were for the formal night, they even matched her Mumu... on the second formal night she actually arrived barefoot!!!:eek:

We just looked shook our heads and still giggle about it to this day. We got stares since my husband is slightly old fashioned and especially on the ship he would do things like hold my chair for me and stand if I had to leave to use the ladies room... But I would rather be talked about because of that and because we dressed formally (and have some gorgeous pictures to shoe for it) than because I wore a mumu and went barefoot to the MDR.

I sooooooo wish you had pictures of the bed slippers and mumu.

Do what you want!!

I love dressing up for formal nights - the only time I get to do it and I don't care if anyone else does or not!

I also get a formal portrait done - again because it's the only time I get to.

Have a great time!

Guest fyree39

IMG_0789_zpsf0099087.jpg

This is what I'm wearing on my next Carnvial 3-day booze cruise. I'm probably going to be one of 3 or 4 women in a gown. I love dressing up because in my real life I wear steel-toed shoes! Look beautiful and have pictures taken. You won't regret it one bit. :)

Hello all! I am going on my first cruise in November on the Carnival Dream. So excited! I am looking at formal gowns because I think it would be fun to get all dressed up as I've never had a need to in my life. My question is - are lots of ladies still wearing formal gowns? And in particular how formal? I am looking at gowns with a train. Am I going to look like a dork and be the only one?! My DH has even agreed to wear a tux :) Thanks for you time!

Carnival is not usually as dressy as the upscale cruise lines. You should feel free to wear whatever you wish. It's your cruise to enjoy!

Archived