Cruise Critic Community
jst4fun715

"Less Active" tours in Bora Bora and Papeete

We will be on a cruise next Sep with one day stops in Bora Bora and Papeete. I've looked on this board and seen lots of suggestions for excursions, but they all seem to be in outriggers with snorkeling or 4x4 vehicles. A couple in our group would not be able to do these so I am looking for tours that would be more of a "van" type sightseeing tour. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!:)

We will be on a cruise next Sep with one day stops in Bora Bora and Papeete. I've looked on this board and seen lots of suggestions for excursions, but they all seem to be in outriggers with snorkeling or 4x4 vehicles. A couple in our group would not be able to do these so I am looking for tours that would be more of a "van" type sightseeing tour. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!:)

Anyone???

What are the limitations?

Well...just a bit of age!! There will be 6 of us (so far) from late 50s to late 70s. No other big issues, but thought the 4x4s would be a bit rough, not really interested in the snorkeling. Pretty much just want to see the sights. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Carol,

Keep in mind that Bora Bora is all about the lagoon. Not much to do or see on the main island, actually it's a bit scruffy. I would recommend hanging at a resort for the day. The Hilton is very accessible from the tender drop off location as the resort boat shuttle picks up at the same location. You can buy a day pass which includes lunch and use of their facilities. Great views of the reef, nice shaded areas close to the lagoon/beach, pool, hammocks and for those who might wish to try some good snorkeling that you can do at your pace and enter from the beach.

reservations@hilton-borabora.pf

The Le Moana resort offers day use as well for less money. Ships normally have a bus/shuttle setup to take people from the marina to Matira Beach is right across the street from the Le Moana. Nice beach with shade, hammocks. Normally the day use fee is about $75 each but remember that includes lunch.

intercontinental.borabora.lemoana@ihg.com

On Tahiti I would arrange for a taxi/private shuttle to take you all the way around the island stopping at the museums, lighthouse and black sand beach. Usually you can hire a taxi/6 passenger van for about 4 hours to provide this service.

Carl's Taxi - 8 passenger van, about $165 for 4 hours or $275 for 8 hours to take all of you around wherever you want to go. Speaks English well. 77.13.69 or 82.22.72

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Tiki, thanks so much for the information! This is what I needed to know. Now another question....to see the lagoon, how do you get there? Is that the outriggers? SOME of us may opt for that! Personally, I would love to see it.

Thanks again!

Carol

The ships always come inside the lagoon to moor. Every where is the lagoon except when you are on land. If your going to take a lagoon tour I would tell you to take ............

http://www.reefdiscovery.pf/us/index.html - Very personal, will hold your hand. Fast sleek covered boats, good snorkel locations, no BBQ.

The boat only takes 8 people so grab the whole boat and let Christopher know your situation. He can make sure he takes you to easy places to snorkel and make sure you go all the way around the lagoon. All of the skippers for Reef Discovery will hold your hand and are so very helpful.

HA HA HA HA

No

Just doesn't happen unless it's through a special that comes up. Most often specials are it for January - May or October - Mid December.