Mdr dinning table mates

trev71

My DW and I were having a conversation tonight about how our first cruise we sat with all younger people around our age and the last two cruises we had people around our parents age. Not that this bothered us since we talk and a friendly to anyone we meet and did enjoy their company. But we were wondering about the whole picking your table mates random or is this a planned thing ?

Unless you are traveling with a group that you wish to dine with, the table selections are random. You may also request a private table as well, not a guarantee -- just a request.
I would hardly call it random that on 60+ cruises I have always been assigned to a table where everyone spoke English (and this includes cruises where only 10% of the passengers were English speakers). Nor would I call it random that every assigned table was exclusively adults, despite a number of children being on-board. With very few exceptions my tablemates have been within 15 years of my age. Since I became Diamond, everytime we have ended up at a four person table, the other couple has also been Diamond. To think that all of this happened by random selection would defy the laws of statistics.

Thom

During our 2011 TA we had a table of 10 and 8 of us were all from California, one lady was from FL and all but two couples were married, so we had a total of two men and * ladies. Not sure how they managed that one. Well actually now that I recall three of the ladies came over from MTD, after a family of 3 left

We have been mostly seated with people around our age, maybe because we cruise at a time when younger people have kids in school. Sometimes we ask to be seated with others, but are not, or we are at a table for 8, but there is just the 3 of us all week. We still have a good time.

I think with My Time dining and more and more people wanting to eat as a couple or foursome, there are not many people left to match up people by age as they used to. We also enjoying talking to people of all ages.

My DW and I were having a conversation tonight about how our first cruise we sat with all younger people around our age and the last two cruises we had people around our parents age. Not that this bothered us since we talk and a friendly to anyone we meet and did enjoy their company. But we were wondering about the whole picking your table mates random or is this a planned thing ?

"They" say that the older people usually dine early seating, as well as those with young children.

Our experience has seemed totally random. Our first cruise was our honeymoon so we were young 20's and both other couples at our table were in their 50's. Another cruise we were celebrating our 10 year anniversary and we had a young couple on their honeymoon, a couple about 10 years older than us and a couple that was 20 years older than us and spoke almost all French. This was actually the most fun group we had ever! Our last cruise I don't know who was assigned to our table because we were at a table for 8 and no one showed up for the first 3 nights so we asked to be switched to a table with other people.

On the first night (both on Oasis and also on Liberty) when asked if DH and I wanted a table for two or share a table with other people, we chose to dine with others. Our only request is to dine with adults, no small children at the same table. It never was a problem and we met so many lovely people at many age-ranges, it was a pleasure! :)

I have always thought it was random, but on Navigator recently, one of our table mates said that people were matched with table mates according to according to language spoken, whether there are children in the group, and cabin grade. She then asked each of us what cabins we were in and sure enough, we were all in the same grade of cabin. At a table of 8, I thought this could still be a coincidence though :)

I feel that they did a much better job of matching up tablemates in the past than they have recently. We used to always get another family of 4 that had children around the same age as our children.

However, on our last couple of cruises, we are in our early 50's and our daughters are late-teens/early 20's, and we've been placed with retired couples who are my parent's age. While everyone was cordial, it wasn't as comfortable, especially for the older people who obviously didn't want to be seated with "kids" (even if those kids are well-mannered, well-educated, sociable 20-somethings)

Although we love having tablemates and have met many nice people on our cruises through the MDR, next time we will be asking for a small table for just ourselves.

We usually request and are given a table for two. The exception being if we are traveling with another couple. Just prefer our own company after many, many cruises and sometimes with people who really don't match up too well. Yet, a few times it has worked out to be a very pleasant arrangement.

they try and match demographics. for instance we have never been seated with families. one time it was a couple our age( who were so unfriendly/judgmental the only time they ate at the table the entire week that we almost declared we'd never ask for tablemates again) and the next time it was a table of 8, all couples ranging in age from mid 30s to probably early 50s. we had a BLAST the entire week with these folks. completely different range of jobs, backgrounds, etc.

the last time was a table of 6 with one couple only showing up the first night and warning us we'd not see them again most likely. the other couple was about our age and made for pleasant if a bit..remote, company

In four cruises we have only taken one as a couple and on this one we asked for a table for two. Other cruises were groups of 4, 6 and 10 so we had enough people to fill our own tables.

We ate breakfast and lunch in the MDR and would happily share with strangers and chat every day but felt that dinner was our time to share with each other.

The first cruise I took with my kids, we met some wonderful people at our table. We had a lot in common. In fact, we took our next cruise with them.

After that, RCI as well as other cruise lines, started seating us with people who didn't speak English. :mad: I think it's because my children's last name is Asian. We don't live anywhere near Asia, my name is as British as can be, we book in North America, but somehow whoever assigns the tables got it in their heads that we were from Asia. :confused: Now, it's annoying, but every time I book a cruise, I specify that I want English speaking tablemates. The vacation planners are always mystified as to why I do this. But, it works. :cool:

On the Explorer last Feb. my DH and I were seated at a table for 10 with 6 limited English Russians from Brighton Beach (we could make out the curse words). The other 2 didn't show up. To give this group credit, they did try to include us, but the language barrier did make things difficult. We talked to the Maitre'd the next morning and he happily changed us to another table. We were glad we changed, the next 8 nights were very enjoyable with the group we were with.

If you are unhappy, change it:)

When ships were smaller with less pax it was common for people to be put with people of similar interest ie: ages, married, single, children or w/o children etc. Currently the mass cruise lines do not take the time/have the time to do this. Also with the varying food venues the current pax do not as a whole eat every night at the same table in the same dining room. Thus, the dining staff do not make this a priority any longer.

With that said, if you make your preferences known the dining staff will try to accommodate you in most cases.

We were stuck in an awkward situation on our last RCCL cruise. We (DH, me, DD10 and DD6) were seated at a table for 8 with another family (husband, wife and boy our DD6's age). They spoke very little English and the boy was so shy he didn't say a word all week. It was a very strange experience. After trying for a couple of nights to talk to them, we finally gave up. We talked to each other and they didn't say a word.

I didn't even think of asking to switch tables! Not sure why that thought didn't occur to me.

Now we request a table for 4 if we aren't traveling with family/friends.

Thanks for the tip on calling RCCL. Except for 1 cruise, we have always had table mates, and have enjoyed them. Although on 1 cruise it was a 4 table and the other two never showed up.

We are going in nov with 9 to our group so we probably won't have table mates. some are first time cruisers and i think they will be missing out on some of the fun, but that's okay...

I do however feel for the waiters because they always wait for everyone to show up. We are on time people and we have had some where the people just moseyed in when they wanted to and you could tell the waiter was a little annoyed. If it got too late, the waiter asked and we would either wait or go ahead. When we did go ahead and order, and the late ones showed up, I think it made them think alittle.... maybe not...

All in all, I do enjoy meeting others!

Archived