Triumph - Post Disaster and 2.0 upgrade! – It IS all about US!

stewpapa

Triumph - Post Disaster and 2.0 upgrade! – It IS all about US!

Triumph Review 9/14/2013 sailing

The Triumph is very special to us as it was our first ship on our honeymoon in 2000 out of Florida. It was the latest and greatest cruise ship in the world and quite expensive back then. We had no idea we would ever be able to afford cruising again. But, here we are 13 years and 16 cruises later. Mainly, thanks to the decrease in cruise prices and the start of Galveston cruises, both of which made cruising very affordable for us.

We were thrilled when the Triumph moved to Galveston and booked it as soon as we could. We sailed it for the second time in late 2012, not long before the disaster of 2013. Now, we were excited to get back to our old friend, the Triumph, after being refurbished and the 2.0 upgrades. We were not disappointed. We had no friends or family with us this cruise and decided to take it easy and this cruise really became ALL ABOUT US! And the Carnival crew and staff did their part to give us another great cruise!

This was our Platinum cruise and right off the bat, we enjoyed the VIP embarkation and other perks. Since we were Platinum, we also got the FTTF perks of going to our room early and getting our luggage early. We were among the first on board, I’d say 11:30, and went to eat and then to our cabin, which was ready when we arrived as advertised. Not a big deal to us, but nice.

Oh, and the Platinum/Diamond Guest Services line was wonderful. Both times we went to guest services there were at least 30 people in line. We just went right up to the VIP slot and got what we needed. Felt kind of guilty, but we just didn’t look at the line in case we got any dirty looks. Love it a lot! Hate spending vacation time waiting in line for guest services. Nice perk!

We had a Lido Forward Balcony cabin. It was just above where the ship breaks the water, and we enjoyed this location and our balcony a lot. It was the first Lido for us, and we will book it again. A great location.

We have always loved the food on Carnival, but I think ships like the Triumph are even better because there are NO pay restaurants therefore the best food and service is still in the MDR and other free food venues. The Buffet food is very good and beautifully presented. There is also the Deli and Chopsticks, which are used for excellent omelet stations at breakfast. The MDR is still a great experience too. We now do Anytime Dining and request a table for two. Always enjoyable, although on this cruise, we skipped the MDR on two nights, just because we didn’t feel like dressing for it. Never done that before, but this cruise was for us to do what we wanted and we did. We also skipped the show a couple of times, another first for us. This was a very relaxed cruise for us. We didn’t let the cruise schedule rule us. Very nice.

2.0 Upgrades:

Before this cruise I wondered why everyone was making a big deal of Guy’s Burgers, but now I know. It is a GREAT upgrade, and the burgers and fries are really a great improvement over the old burgers. Very well presented and a great burger and menu. Nice change! (There are still hotdogs in the back across from the pizza, so don’t worry)

The Blue Iguana Taco Station is a great addition as well. The whole pool area is really nicely upgraded.

The Red Frog and Blue Iguana bars near the pool are attractive and we liked them. We do not lay around near the pool, so it wasn’t a problem to us that it took up a lot of the pool area room. The smokers were crammed into an even smaller area, but it doesn’t affect us and I didn’t hear any complaints. The Lido area looks really nice.

Alchemy Bar: this replaced the California Wine bar (Zoran’s), but it is still a martini bar, and we love it even more. The bartenders (from Serbia and Romania) were as awesome as Zoran used to be, and watching them mix the drinks is actually fun. They are very personable and helpful in selecting what to try. One of our favorite places on the ship. If you drink, don’t miss it. If you don’t, get a soda and go watch them anyway.

The Sports Bar: I think it would be a good upgrade, if they actually used it for the main sports viewing venue. But it was mostly empty, when I noticed it, because they were playing sports on the hideous big screen near the pool most of the time. As we are not sports fans, we hated that… I actually hate the big screens in general, as I have said on CC many times. We would prefer having Caribbean music or band on the Lido deck at all times.

As you can see most of the 2.0 upgrades were upgrading bars…… lol, but we did like the upgrades.

The Lido Deck Buffet “Eye’s” survived the Triumph disaster AND the 2.0 upgrades. (You will only know what this means if you have been on the Triumph)

More about the big screen:

I see the appeal of having movies at night outside, although that is not something we have ever taken advantage of. We try to get away from TV, phones, computers and all technology on cruises. Other than that, I HATE the big screens, and TV’s in general, in public areas of the ship. The big screen really takes away from the Lido deck experience during the day, by replacing Caribbean music with TV and Sports. I just can’t overstate how much we hate it. It’s really not fair subjecting none sports fans to hearing a game instead of music on our cruise when laying on the Lido. Sports should be in the Sports bar. We get as far away as we can and still enjoy laying out on the upper deck, but we really really miss the cruise music. There is a lot of good performers around the ship, just never out on deck. (ok, deep breath-move on)

Things that have been mentioned on Cruise Critic:

We still got pillow chocolates and full ice buckets every night without asking. In fact, we only saw our room steward once on the first day and never again. Service was excellent as always.

They WERE still selling FCC (Future Cruise Credits) on the ship, same deal as always.

Tips: We always leave auto tips on and we tip extra to whoever makes our cruise extra special. Before Anytime Dining, we tipped extra to our whole wait team and others, but now we never see the same ones twice. I don’t really like that, but we love anytime dining, and it saves us a bundle on extra tips, as we don’t have anyone special to tip. We just tip our room steward and a bartender or two and that’s it. We save $100 probably in extra tips that we used to give out, so that’s another plus of Anytime Dining.

Other Good things:

The Latin band was excellent! Most nights it was in the Venecia lounge. Just wonderful! Enjoyed being there almost every night after visiting the Alchemy bar.

The Comedy Club is a good change. We really like it. It didn’t replace any shows, and was added entertainment. We only attended the early family friendly shows as the adult shows get a little tough for us. But the comedians were very good and a nice alternative to a show we’ve seen a bunch of times.

The Pizza has changed. It’s very good! We always get a piece of pizza and wind down at the back of the ship before heading to our cabin at the end of the day. Very thin and crunchy. Another nice change.

Interesting things that happened:

We noticed we didn’t get receipts with our onboard purchases. That has never happened before. I guess the idea is less pieces of paper blowing around. I used to use them to keep track of our daily spending, but it was nice not worrying about it. They have the signed copy, so in a dispute it is their copy that counts anyway.

Jerry, the awesome Atrium singer, was not there. His picture was still on the wall, so I guess he was on vacation. Missed him. There were NO crowds in the atrium that usually surround him. There was a country singer that was very good, but no large crowds.

Very Rough seas all week. But we do not get sea sick and enjoyed the extra movement. Shows were changed due to the rough seas for the protection of the performers. It rained some every day, but we liked that too, as we have been dying of heat and dry weather in Texas all summer.

The loudspeaker woke us up every 20 minutes after 3 AM one night looking for a missing person. No one got much sleep that night. Thought we’d end up turing around and looking for someone, but we didn’t. After a few hours they stopped calling and the next day they said they found the person safe and sound. No more info.

Excursions: We’ve done it all and are now beach layers on port days.

Progreso: We went to Technotel through Autoprogreso. They are waiting just outside the Terminal. All inclusive and we paid $35 per person, less than ½ the Carnival excursion price. - Wonderful beach day!

Cozumel: We always go to Nachi Cocum (reserve online and take a taxi) All inclusive – Wonderful beach day #2!

Getting off:

We enjoyed our last night up to the very end without worrying about packing. We love that about Self-Assist. We got up at 6:30 am and packed on the last morning. We were in our car headed home at 8:45 am. Went to the Self-Assist waiting area for Platinum and above and were among the first ones off. No waiting for customs as all. Perfect end to another perfect cruise.

Attached : Our Triumph pics - honeymoon 2000 and this week 2013

(As you can see I don't know how to do pics on here)

We are booking Triumph for next Fall as you read this.

Thanks for reading and enjoy your next cruise!

If you have triumph questions, I’ll try to answer.

842020284_photo(6).jpg.0d9cae6485a20efc097c280f4cb2e087.jpg

1188194120_photo(5).jpg.67f2b8e9343cbcfd97a43623a3270e13.jpg

They WERE still selling FCC (Future Cruise Credits) on the ship, same deal as always.

I'm 99% sure that Carnival no longer offers future cruise credits. I suspect that what you saw was the future cruise desk, and that you assumed they were selling future cruise credits. They don't, as far as I know. At the future cruise desk you can book a future cruise, and if you do you'll get a certain amount of onboard credits... I think it's a $100 onboard credit for a 7-day cruise.

This is very different than the old program where you could buy a future cruise certificate for an un-specified future cruise to be booked later. On the current system, you have to book a specific cruise right now. On the old system, you were just basically promising to at some point book a cruise in the future.

Eventhough I just sailed the Triumph in June and know a lot about the ship, I enjoyed reading your review. She's a wonderful ship for sure and I can't wait to be back on her in 73 days! Jerry is WONDERFUL! We spent many an evening at the Capital Bar listening to him sing. I'm sorry that you missed him, but I sure hope that means he will be cak on board when I sail again. He's one of the forms of entertainment I'm looking foward to!

Glad you had a good time!

I see the appeal of having movies at night outside, although that is not something we have ever taken advantage of. We try to get away from TV, phones, computers and all technology on cruises. Other than that, I HATE the big screens, and TV’s in general, in public areas of the ship. The big screen really takes away from the Lido deck experience during the day, by replacing Caribbean music with TV and Sports. I just can’t overstate how much we hate it. It’s really not fair subjecting none sports fans to hearing a game instead of music on our cruise when laying on the Lido. Sports should be in the Sports bar. We get as far away as we can and still enjoy laying out on the upper deck, but we really really miss the cruise music. There is a lot of good performers around the ship, just never out on deck. (ok, deep breath-move on)

As I have stated on here before, I could not agree more. I hate that damn thing. On another ship a couple cruises ago, I came out on deck just after pulling into Key West. I had my coffee and wanted to take a relaxing walk on deck before going ashore. When I walked onto the lido I was met with Good Morning America BLASTING so loud you could not even hear the people around you speaking. It was rediculous and took away from my relaxing experience. I would love to pull the plug on all of them!

I'm 99% sure that Carnival no longer offers future cruise credits. I suspect that what you saw was the future cruise desk, and that you assumed they were selling future cruise credits. They don't, as far as I know. At the future cruise desk you can book a future cruise, and if you do you'll get a certain amount of onboard credits... I think it's a $100 onboard credit for a 7-day cruise.

This is very different than the old program where you could buy a future cruise certificate for an un-specified future cruise to be booked later. On the current system, you have to book a specific cruise right now. On the old system, you were just basically promising to at some point book a cruise in the future.

uhoh, I don't know now. lol. I wish I'd taken a photo of the offer. It looked the same to me, maybe that was intentional. I'm almost positive it said "pay $200 now and get up to $200 OBC" on a future cruise. Maybe that was a $200 down payment on a specific cruise, but there was no desk to sit at and counsel about cruises. Didn't even see a computer for booking. Just a desk where the girl stood and people lined up to get the deal. I didn't do it so can't be sure. Hmmm. Maybe someone who did it will chime in.

uhoh, I don't know now. lol. I wish I'd taken a photo of the offer. It looked the same to me, maybe that was intentional. I'm almost positive it said "pay $200 now and get up to $200 OBC" on a future cruise. Maybe that was a $200 down payment on a specific cruise, but there was no desk to sit at and counsel about cruises. Didn't even see a computer for booking. Just a desk where the girl stood and people lined up to get the deal. I didn't do it so can't be sure. Hmmm. Maybe someone who did it will chime in.

I was on this cruise also. No they do not have FCC's. The desk is either to book a cruise or what most people where doing is filling out the credit card aps. I booked a cruise on the ship and believe me I took a back seat to all the people filling out credit card aps. The only negative for me on the cruise.

Carnival please please please bring back the FCC's!!!!

I love the Triumph also and this was my second cruise since the upgrades. The comedians on this cruise were very funny. Much better than the ones last month. I also liked that they did a different set each time. I also only went to the family shows and I don't usually like the adult shows that much.

I was on this cruise also. No they do not have FCC's. The desk is either to book a cruise or what most people where doing is filling out the credit card aps. I booked a cruise on the ship and believe me I took a back seat to all the people filling out credit card aps. The only negative for me on the cruise.

Carnival please please please bring back the FCC's!!!!

I love the Triumph also and this was my second cruise since the upgrades. The comedians on this cruise were very funny. Much better than the ones last month. I also liked that they did a different set each time. I also only went to the family shows and I don't usually like the adult shows that much.

My bad. Thanks for clearing that up!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

On the 5 night cruise it is on Cozumel night. And it is wonderful. 8 courses and lots of wine (or water and tea.)

Do you know what night is The Chef's Table? Thinking of doing this for our 30th anniversary next month.

Thanks

Keith

We've only done the Anytime Dining once, we booked late and it was that or late dining. There were 5 of us on that cruise so it was okay, my husband and I like to have company at dinner. I found it difficult to figure out how to tip the dining room staff, the waiters work as hard or perhaps harder than in regular seating. We ended up having the same waiters on 4 of our 5 nights so I tipped them on the last night. I think this was only the second cruise on the Fantasy that offered the ATD, the waiters were not used to it yet and seemed very rushed. Still we got good service and when I tipped them they were very grateful, I don't think they were getting many additional tips.

When we sailed on NCL the waiters in the MDR were not always friendly, I don't think they got very many additional tips either. I just wasn't sure how to tip them and gave it some thought when we did it on the Fantasy. I really didn't have a plan and wish now that I would have just left a tip each night when we got good service. I had gotten the grandkids a soda card on that cruise and the bar waiter was okay but nothing special until on the 3rd night when I gave him $5, the change was amazing, you would have thought I'd given him a $100! So if we ever do soda cards again I will tip on the first night. :D

We've only done the Anytime Dining once, we booked late and it was that or late dining. There were 5 of us on that cruise so it was okay, my husband and I like to have company at dinner. I found it difficult to figure out how to tip the dining room staff, the waiters work as hard or perhaps harder than in regular seating. We ended up having the same waiters on 4 of our 5 nights so I tipped them on the last night. I think this was only the second cruise on the Fantasy that offered the ATD, the waiters were not used to it yet and seemed very rushed. Still we got good service and when I tipped them they were very grateful, I don't think they were getting many additional tips.

When we sailed on NCL the waiters in the MDR were not always friendly, I don't think they got very many additional tips either. I just wasn't sure how to tip them and gave it some thought when we did it on the Fantasy. I really didn't have a plan and wish now that I would have just left a tip each night when we got good service. I had gotten the grandkids a soda card on that cruise and the bar waiter was okay but nothing special until on the 3rd night when I gave him $5, the change was amazing, you would have thought I'd given him a $100! So if we ever do soda cards again I will tip on the first night. :D

Thanks for the "tip". I love the idea of tipping a little extra each night in ATD. That will make me feel better and its a great idea!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived