skipping Egypt

suec12

We are thinking about putting a deposit on a cruise that stops in Egypt May 2014. Are current sailings stopping in Egypt? If there is unrest, any one know (or want to guess) what ports might be substituted? THANKS!

We are thinking about putting a deposit on a cruise that stops in Egypt May 2014. Are current sailings stopping in Egypt? If there is unrest, any one know (or want to guess) what ports might be substituted? THANKS!

Most likely Greece , israel or turkey.

Two years ago we took the last leg of the World Cruise from Dubai to Ft. Lauderdale. Originally we were to stop at Safaga (Luxor), Sharm el Sheikh and Alexandria. We did stop in Safaga but for the other two Egyptian ports we stopped at Salalah, Oman and Ashdod (Jerusalem). We were disappointed not going to Alexandria but pleased with an opportunity to see Jerusalem.

To answer your question... Based on what I have been seeing on Cruise Critic and elsewhere, most cruise lines are cancelling calls in Egypt now.

There have been recent reports in the media about how the major tourist sites and markets are almost empty due to the current situation.

To answer your question... Based on what I have been seeing on Cruise Critic and elsewhere, most cruise lines are cancelling calls in Egypt now.

There have been recent reports in the media about how the major tourist sites and markets are almost empty due to the current situation.

I'm not sure why someone would want to go to Egypt these days. You'll most likely be dead. Don't u watch the news? Thank the ship for canceling Egypt. They wanna save your life.

Holy Land ports have been cancelled also recently.

Mumsy.

The fact that ports in Israel have been cancelled are imho simply to save Money. There has been No threat there at all and you are much more likely to get shot in Chicago then die in any violence there.

Nice post! yes, I am aware, that is why I posted and I also believe that the cruise lines will definitely play it safe and not go where it is dangerous. Actually the draw for this particular itinerary is Istanbul and Athens and the Greek isles along the way. I am plus / minus on Egypt and wouldn't mind substitute ports. But I do appreciate your concern and best wishes for a pleasant trip.

May is a lifetime away in Middle East terms. There is no way to predict the situation that far in advance re Egypt. As somebody who has spent 2 weeks traveling all over Egypt (on my own with DW) we surly hope they get their act together so that tourism can resume. Its a fascinating country and we found most Egyptians to be very warm, friendly, helpful, and curious. That being said, we have never felt that a cruise is the way to visit Egypt (and we have been there on a 2 cruises). The ports are just too far from most of the major sites, and this is a country worthy of at least 10 days. The irony is that having been to many places within the country from Abu Simbal in the South to Alexandria in the North, we find Alexandria to be the only part of Egypt we wish we had never visited. And to think its the main cruise port. We spent 2 days walking around Alexandria last November and found that the city had horribly deteriorated since our previous several day visit 5 years earlier.

Hank

The fact that ports in Israel have been cancelled are imho simply to save Money. There has been No threat there at all and you are much more likely to get shot in Chicago then die in any violence there.

Agree with safety in Israel. I imagine they were being cautious with the Syria crisis which, fortunately, seems to have eased. People hear the news and cancel their cruises whether the area they are going to visit is impacted or not.

We visited Israel last December when the news in the US was focused on the rocket attacks from Gaza. We overnighted in Haifa instead of going to Ashdod and had a wonderful two days in Israel.

I would not hesitate to return to Israel.

I'm not sure why someone would want to go to Egypt these days. You'll most likely be dead. Don't u watch the news? Thank the ship for canceling Egypt. They wanna save your life.

It would be more helpful to the OP if we keep things in perspective. Is there an increased risk of trouble? Yes. "You'll most likely be dead" I think not. There are some places in the US I'd be more wary of than Egypt.

It would be more helpful to the OP if we keep things in perspective. Is there an increased risk of trouble? Yes. "You'll most likely be dead" I think not. There are some places in the US I'd be more wary of than Egypt.

Things are in perspective. Egypt has a military curfew from 6 p to 6 A. Do u know what that mean ? It is not even a good idea to compare the US to Egypt . Different issues, different cultures and different circumstances. . Apples to apples, oranges to oranges.

We are on the Noordam next month on a 22 day Med Cruise. We were originally going to both Port Said and Alexandria but those two ports were cancelled in July and Haifa and Limassol were put in their place. At this stage, we are still going to these two new ports but anything can happen and change before we are due there at the end of October. We have our fingers crossed as we would love to visit both Israel and Cyprus.

Jennie

Things are in perspective. Egypt has a military curfew from 6 p to 6 A. Do u know what that mean ? It is not even a good idea to compare the US to Egypt . Different issues, different cultures and different circumstances. . Apples to apples, oranges to oranges.

I am sorry everyone to interfere in your conversation, but i have something to say.

I am an Egyptian lady, and i live there. Yes, there were some troubles and a curfew was established in Cairo and Alexandria (not in the touristic areas, Hurghada, Sharm el Sheikh, etc...) to protect the citizens, however, the situation is much much much better now. The curfew now has decreased to 12 am-5 am and it is only a matter of precaution and hopefully it will be cancelled by the beginning of October.

That is why many of the travel agencies abroad resumed the bookings by 1 October.

I am sorry again to interfere but seriously the foreign media is driving the Egyptians crazy!! What is shown is not the reality by any means. And no one will end up dead by the way. I am living a completely normal life, working, traveling, hanging out with no problem at all. The trouble only happens in certain areas and is known for everyone to stay away.

Anyway, i hope everything gets back to normal asap so that you all can enjoy the beauty of Egypt:)

Regards,

Asmaa

I am sorry everyone to interfere in your conversation, but i have something to say.

I am an Egyptian lady, and i live there. Yes, there were some troubles and a curfew was established in Cairo and Alexandria (not in the touristic areas, Hurghada, Sharm el Sheikh, etc...) to protect the citizens, however, the situation is much much much better now. The curfew now has decreased to 12 am-5 am and it is only a matter of precaution and hopefully it will be cancelled by the beginning of October.

That is why many of the travel agencies abroad resumed the bookings by 1 October.

I am sorry again to interfere but seriously the foreign media is driving the Egyptians crazy!! What is shown is not the reality by any means. And no one will end up dead by the way. I am living a completely normal life, working, traveling, hanging out with no problem at all. The trouble only happens in certain areas and is known for everyone to stay away.

Anyway, i hope everything gets back to normal asap so that you all can enjoy the beauty of Egypt:)

Regards,

Asmaa

Our guide in Israel felt exactly as you do! We visited three ports in Egypt in April and had no trouble anywhere. We did not go on a tour in Alexandria but went to an internet cafe and were treated so nicely by the people in the stores and on the streets. One lady found someone (turned out to be an English speaking lawyer) to guide us to the cafe. The cafe owner found a chair for our smoke allergic friend outside, and when I came out to wait for the men, a store owner from two stores down rushed over with a chair.

I, too, hope everything gets back to normal soon as not only are people missing out on the wonders of Egypt, but those in the tourist industry are suffering economic hardship due to the unrest.

I am an Egyptian lady, and i live there.

You have as much right as anyone to post here, Asmaa, and are not interfering in the conversation. You are adding to it.

It's important for someone who is there to put what is sadly happening into perspective.

Thank you for your post.

You have as much right as anyone to post here, Asmaa, and are not interfering in the conversation. You are adding to it.

It's important for someone who is there to put what is sadly happening into perspective.

Thank you for your post.

Thank you ruthC. I second that.

Regards,

Asmaa

Thanks very much for your post. I was lucky to have visited Egypt before all the changes in the past few years. It is a wonderful place, and it's a shame that tourism has been so negatively affected.

I agree that the media often times can paint a picture that does not reflect the reality on the ground, and it can create the wrong impression in people's minds. Hopefully things are indeed improving there, and after a time, tourism will return.

Plenty of Europeans currently holidaying in Sharm as we speak. Please don't scaremonger:cool:

I don't understand why another poster said Sharm was cancelled on their cruise, either (unless that was also a moneymaking exercise).

Nice post! yes, I am aware, that is why I posted and I also believe that the cruise lines will definitely play it safe and not go where it is dangerous. Actually the draw for this particular itinerary is Istanbul and Athens and the Greek isles along the way. I am plus / minus on Egypt and wouldn't mind substitute ports. But I do appreciate your concern and best wishes for a pleasant trip.

Well said

Archived