NC&KY

US travel book

Having recently read Rick Steve's travel guide for London, I was interested in his explanation to Americans as to what to expect in Great Britain. I think it would be enlightening to look at a travel guide of somewhere in the US that was written for a British or other European audience (as long as it's in English!). I am kicking myself for having not thought of it when we were in Great Britain; I could have simply walked into a book store and bought a guide. :o But perhaps I can buy something on-line.

So, could someone recommend a travel guide that someone in Great Britain might buy before coming to the US?

Got a library? Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet. All also have web sites.Eyewitness Guides.

My original posting must not have been clear. Let me try again.

I either have hard copies or computer access to all of those. But, for example, travel advice for Atlanta on frommers.com is not geared to Scottish travelers. IMO, if anything it's geared to American travelers. So it will not tell the Scotsman how people, hotels, restaurants, etc. in the US will differ from what he's used to in Glasgow. I'd like to know what travel guides are available in Great Britain that are written with a British audience as their target.

The best analogy I could think of is the Rick Steves series, in which he tries to tell Americans how not to come across as "ugly Americans" (e.g., that hotels rooms in Europe are generally much smaller than in the US).

I don't know of any, but you might check out Bill Bryson's writings....an American who lived in the UK for years went back to his roots to try to see America from an outsider's view- great humour.

His book written about the UK is "Notes on a Small Island".

I'll have a think about this....;)

Douglas Ward is a prolific cruiser and writer of travel books for Berlitz.

I read his guide for first time cruisers and it had a lot of advice specifically geared towards a British audience sprinkled throughout.

Hi, I get exactly what you are saying about the Rick Steves travel books. I live in BC Canada and have watched his half hour travel shows. I don't think any other country would probably need a book that quite explains things to its audience the way Rick does to his American one. He has worked hard over the years to take the fear out of traveling outside the USA.

It would be interesting to read a British biased intro to travelling to America.

Sorry I don't know a book but I will second the BB books are a good read.

Cheers, h

A good way to find one would be to go on Amazon.co.uk then do a search for travel guides to various US cities. Amazon has a feature called 'Look Inside' were it will let you view so many pages of the guide.

There is a series of 'Brit guides' written by Simon and Susan Veness which are travel guides specifically for a british traveller, I've used them in the past and find them interesting and useful without being patronizing or promoting too much of a sterotype. I don't know if they're what you're looking for though, as they are focused on specific tips and guides to theme parks, including Orlando. There are even a couple about cruising but they are pretty old so probably out of date!

If you are looking for actual travel writing rather than a guide to a specific location, Bill Bryson has already been mentioned. His books include a couple about america.

Edited by SquishTheWhale

Hi

Whenever I travel to America, I look for the city guides specifically. They are detailed and sometimes have comments and feedback from the experienced travelers or simply from people who were there just once but have a lot to share. And of course, I can't but mention the book which actually made me travel to America - Our Towns: A 100,000-Mile Journey into the Heart of America read by James Fallows and Deborah Fallows. I've ordered it on Barnes & Noble.

Edited by lumusislight
book