Drink prices?

bhg71

15% gratuity on top of bar prices, where does this 15% go to, If I buy a beer ashore it costs me $1.60, on Carnival it will cost $5 or more, their mark up is in the region of 400%, if they were around 200 years ago they would be called Pirates.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I feel like the drink prices are really good on the boat. My husband drinks crown and cokes. If we went to a bar in our city he would usually spend between $8-$9 for one. On the boat it's only $6.25. I drink mostly wine and while it is more expensive than if I bought a bottle the per glass prices are good compared to restaurant prices per glass. The wine I drink is $7.50 per glass, but at a restaurant near me it is usually $9 per glass. You have to compare apples to apples. You have to compare these to bar prices, not how much you can buy beer from the grocery store. I do think the frozen drinks and the beer are expensive, but the wine and mixed drinks are good prices.

15% gratuity on top of bar prices, where does this 15% go to, If I buy a beer ashore it costs me $1.60, on Carnival it will cost $5 or more, their mark up is in the region of 400%, if they were around 200 years ago they would be called Pirates.

The tip goes to the waiter or gets pooled by the bartenders. Once asked a bartender at a very slow, hidden bar on a Carnival ship. She explained how the tips get split.

-Bar servers get their tips.

-Bartenders pool tips and can rotate to other bars. Bartenders are pooled to even out the penalty of getting a slow bar.

-They all get a share of the soda sticker. I'm assume that the Cheers progam tips work the same.

As far as pricing in concerned most restaurants that want to stay in business will at least triple their food costs. Alcohol is no exception. Compared to the ballparks, beer on a cruiseship is bargain.

Two articles on restaurant wine pricing. Same thoughts are taken into consideration for beer and alcohol pricing.

http://www.winemag.com/May-2010/The-Lowdown-on-Restaurant-Markups/

http://www.winespectator.com/drvinny/show/id/45306

Just noticed your in England and it's not a cultural thing to tip. These tips are on your bill when you sign. They are not part of your daily service charge, auto-gratuities or what ever else it can be called.

Talking with UK pax on ships I have discovered that the gratuities are (usually) rolled into your cruisefare.

Has anyone just ordered the 4 pack of beer from the fun shop and had it in room? Also, can you buy wine in port in nassau and take it on carryon and put in room? thanks

Liquor bought in fun shops is not delivered until the last night of your cruise.

Liquor bought in fun shops is not delivered until the last night of your cruise.

This is true, but I wonder if the poster meant the 4 pack beer/cooler deal from Bon Voyage. If you order that prior to sailing, they deliver it the first sea day to your cabin. I ordered one for DH on our last cruise in January. We left it on the vanity, when we got back to our cabin that evening, the room steward had it filled with ice and the beer chilling.

How much will a bucket of beer cost you? I didn't see that on menu.

I can't quite remember but I'm thinking it's in the $22-$24 range. For some reason I want to say it was about $5.25 a beer which would be $22. I could be wrong, but at least you have an idea of price.

Thank you....I did see if I order a four pack of beer before cruise it was 17.60. How much is the Foster Oil Can 25oz on the ship? Can you buy wine in Nassau and take it on ship? I missed that if someone posted.

Where did you see that price? That would be a deal.

Thank you....I did see if I order a four pack of beer before cruise it was 17.60. How much is the Foster Oil Can 25oz on the ship? Can you buy wine in Nassau and take it on ship? I missed that if someone posted.

Those questions I can't help you with. Have never drank Foster's and have not been to Nassau yet. Maybe someone a little more travelled could help you with those questions. Sorry I couldn't help you more. Enjoy your cruise!

I was on the Pride last week and in Nassau bought a bottle of Rum Cream at Tortuga. Got back on the ship and they did have a table set up to "check in" your liquor purchases but I just took it back to my cabin. Not sure if the liquor store by the port there actually sends the bottles you buy directly to the ship so if that is the case then you may not be able to have it in your room but I do not know for sure.

So I am a little confused here.....according to http://www.shipcruise.org/carnival-cruise-alcohol-drink-prices/

A bottle of say Coors Light will cost $5.75, but a 4 pack bucket will cost $25. Simple math (I think) - 4 individual botlles of beer will cost me $23, wich is $2 less than the bucket. Isn't the idea of the bucket to save a buck or 2?????

Buying a bucket of beer is more expensive than 4 individual beers. What am I missing

Thanks

Archived