My "Oh crap!!!!!" Moment... Have you had any??

1 Part Sand 1 Part Sea

So last week I was looking at my work time off request for my upcoming cruise (in 4 days mind you) and I was thinking, jeez I feel like I should have more shifts covered..... Oh CRAP!

I never asked for the first day off. I work 16 hrs that day. I work as a staff in an independent living house with ppl with brain injuries. I can't just not show up... The state would be pretty ticked...

So I scrambled and after tons of calls and begging I managed to swap shifts and am now working doubles right up until the night before we go.

Have you had any oh CRAP! moments in regards to your cruise? Whether it's pre, during, or post cruise?

• 2 weeks later...

Two, that come to mind.

On our VERY FIRST cruise on board the Carnival Spirit, we were sailing as a family, about nine of us in total, but all driving separately in groups of two and three. For the first hour or so, we couldn't get in contact with ANYONE, since we all boarded at separate times. We regroup eventually, but it we were nervous wrecks for the first while. Never again!

Another terrifying cruise moment was when my mother thought she had lost about $200 dollars in extra spending money that my grandpa had given her. Again, it was the first day of the cruise, which of course doesn't help, because you're already full of emotions any how! She eventually found it in her purse about a MONTH after the cruise, which ended up working out, because we needed the money for some sudden dental purposes, but it sure was pretty scary that first day!

Our cruise had several "moments" before we even got on the ship-- our first attempt to book a cruise was rescinded when a little cloudburst called Katrina dampened New Orleans. Our second one happened about a month later when our replacement cruise was affected by another weather hiccup called Rita. Then, after my wife got the last cabin on the Dawn out of NYC, we left early enough but got stuck on the interstate for an hour and a half--getting to the dock just 20 minutes before sailing! Whew! Finally, when we were on a stingray encounter excursion, the boat's tail swung out from the shallow part of the sandbar over the deeper part--my wife wasn't anticipating the extra depth and caught a half-a-lungful of water, nearly drowned! :eek:

The cruise overall was worth it, though!

Thankfully it has not happened to me, but I have seen families on the dock not being able to board because they did not have the correct documentation. I thought the cruise line (NCL) handled it well, taking the family off to the side and talking with them calmly. Can't be easy for the family (of course), or the cruise line staff.

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago we booked an Alaska Cruise. When we arrived at the terminal to sign in My wife signed in first. When I handed my ID over to the clerk she tinkered for moment then said to me :Sir, the ship is booked, so we can not sell you a cabin. Next person, please. Say what?:eek: I pointed out that she had just accepted my Wife who is assigned to the same cabin as my self.

We showed her my boarding pass, booking notification, cruise summary, etc.

with my name on it. Still would not accept our input. So, I requested a supervisor. That went around in a circle also, so I told them I was not stepping away from that window until they resolved this problem and issued me a boarding card. Two more employees were involved before they finally admitted that they had a record problem and I had paid for the cruise and was assigned to the cabin with my wife. At that time they cut me a new sign and sail card. When we arrived at the cabin that card would not unlock the door, my wife had to use hers. A few minutes later I tried to purchase the Drink of the Day and was told that my card was invalid. :mad: So off to customer service I go. More run around and I was expecting that security was going to be called because they acted like I had somehow gained illegal access to the ship. Finally I was given another card that worked on the cabin door and I could purchase bar drinks. :)

I've had lots of them over the years but here's the funniest one. We were on the Ocean Princess. A small ship with one main dining room and early and late seating only. Tables were really close together. We were at a 4 top with a couple we had just met. You could literally hear everything being said at the table next to you.

So one night the waiters are busy and we were wanting more rolls and butter. The table next to us had been empty every single night (I think we were on day 4) so we reached over and took the bread and butter off their table. Worked out well for everyone. Next night, we didn't even bother looking for the waiters, we just took the extra rolls and butter. The next night we did the same thing.

THEN in walked the Captain with his wife and and officer and his wife. Sat right down at that table. Oops. No bread and no butter for them. :o Not wanting to get our servers in trouble we took full responsibility for snatching his rolls when they weren't looking.

I've had lots of them over the years but here's the funniest one. We were on the Ocean Princess. A small ship with one main dining room and early and late seating only. Tables were really close together. We were at a 4 top with a couple we had just met. You could literally hear everything being said at the table next to you.

So one night the waiters are busy and we were wanting more rolls and butter. The table next to us had been empty every single night (I think we were on day 4) so we reached over and took the bread and butter off their table. Worked out well for everyone. Next night, we didn't even bother looking for the waiters, we just took the extra rolls and butter. The next night we did the same thing.

THEN in walked the Captain with his wife and and officer and his wife. Sat right down at that table. Oops. No bread and no butter for them. :o Not wanting to get our servers in trouble we took full responsibility for snatching his rolls when they weren't looking.

Great way to meet the Captain! :)

I had been passionately following the building of Celebrity Reflection, and booked a 7 night cruise pre-construction, almost a year out. As I followed its progress, I began to search the roll call for my date, excitement building everyday!!! Then I noticed so many people asking about kids' activities, and I thought that odd, as there have never been many children on board, especially during the school year. Much to my shock, I had booked our first Reflection Sailing on EASTER!! My husband and I both operate giant family restaurants and Easter is our second busiest weekend of the year! NO WAY the owner was going to let us have this time off! Blessed be my wonderful travel agent that took my frantic call, re-scheduled our cruise and got us a better cabin AND the 123 Promotion to include drinks! All's well that ends well, but now I know to check the next year's calendar before booking any cruise!!

ps. fabulous cruise!!!!!

Our most memorable one was in St. Lucia around lunch time. We were getting ready to head back out to shop when it felt like the ship that had pulled in behind us at the dock rammed us at full speed. It was crazy. It was even more wild when we found out that what we actually felt was the impact of an earthquake that had began many, many, many miles away from us!

Great way to meet the Captain! :)

While it was, I was so worried that it would reflect badly on our servers. I did not want them to get blamed for any way in our "wanderings". We did get to have a small conversation with them before we let them have their alone moments. Asked him about "leaving people behind". He said the ONLY person the ship waits for is the Captain. Made sense to me LOL.

Several years ago we celebrated our parents 50th anniversary on a cruise with a total of 27 family members. My brother whined about the cost, so we decided to put him and his teenage daughter in a cabin with my 2 teenage daughters. On the second morning, we had agreed to meet and go to breakfast in the WJ together. Only the 3 teens showed up saying my brother never showed up before they fell asleep and wasn't there when they woke and got ready. I immediately thought 2 things..he had either partied and paired up with someone or had partied and fallen overboard and we needed to quickly find out which. We headed up to the WJ, hoping he would be there waiting on us. Being in a bit of a panic we were walking pretty fast when one of my daughters grabbed my arm, and I said, "oh crap" as she pointed to a man, face down on one of the pool loungers, disheveled, fully clothed from the night before, drooling onto the pool deck. While everyone whisked by, some snapping photos, we had to get him up (no small task, no quick task), and get him back down to the cabin, where he collapsed onto his bed and stayed the rest of the day. That afternoon, the girls returned to their cabin to get ready for dinner and knocked on the door, which woke him up. He came to the door and had fallen onto the chocolate that they had put on his pillow. It had melted and smeared all over his face. It was an "oh crap" day.

Several years ago we celebrated our parents 50th anniversary on a cruise with a total of 27 family members. My brother whined about the cost, so we decided to put him and his teenage daughter in a cabin with my 2 teenage daughters. On the second morning, we had agreed to meet and go to breakfast in the WJ together. Only the 3 teens showed up saying my brother never showed up before they fell asleep and wasn't there when they woke and got ready. I immediately thought 2 things..he had either partied and paired up with someone or had partied and fallen overboard and we needed to quickly find out which. We headed up to the WJ, hoping he would be there waiting on us. Being in a bit of a panic we were walking pretty fast when one of my daughters grabbed my arm, and I said, "oh crap" as she pointed to a man, face down on one of the pool loungers, disheveled, fully clothed from the night before, drooling onto the pool deck. While everyone whisked by, some snapping photos, we had to get him up (no small task, no quick task), and get him back down to the cabin, where he collapsed onto his bed and stayed the rest of the day. That afternoon, the girls returned to their cabin to get ready for dinner and knocked on the door, which woke him up. He came to the door and had fallen onto the chocolate that they had put on his pillow. It had melted and smeared all over his face. It was an "oh crap" day.

Omg that is too funny. :D

One of my OH CRAP!!! moments was on a sea day and I realized my credit card payment was due. In the excitement of getting ready for the cruise, I completely forgot to schedule the payment. I put a lot of expenses for work on my card so it was no small amount. Since internet onboard is so fast and cheap, it cost me almost as much to pay the bill as the late fee would have cost. But I did save the finance charges at least. :o

Planned a larger family cruise. My inlaws had asked me to just book thier flight and whatever I did was ok with them. Nervously I did so, trying to be conservative with thier $. They ended up going part of the flights with us, but the second leg was different. We finally land in San Juan only to find out they are stuck in Baltimore because thier plane couldn't land in New York! (fog) Good thing we always fly in the day before. They stayed the night in Baltimore and got on an early flight and made it fine. Honestly, I didn't relax until I saw them on the ship! Next time, they can book at the same time as us to get on our flight, or pay the extra $ to get on our flight. :)