Pre-cruise shopping

emeraldcity

I still wear the same 3 dresses I have had for years. All formal pictures look the same.

I too wear the dress I had for son's wedding. DH said I paid so much for it I better wear it all the time.

Besides, those people on the cruise never saw me before and will never see me again, so it doesn't matter how old the dress is.

DH and I have been married 45 years so it took a bit of training. :D We went shopping for a new suit for him before our last cruise. He doesn't really like shopping for clothes for himself - I think it's the hassle of trying things on more than anything else.

Regarding shopping for him, except for the length of your marriage, it sounds like you are married to my husband! We are working on year 27, so perhaps there is time for further training... :rolleyes: I really can't complain, though -- he has never said, to my recollection, "You need to buy yourself new clothes," but he has long since ceased objecting to my doing it, and he seems to appreciate the results quite a bit!

So glad I'm not the one who says they aren't buying anything new and then goes and buys clothes anyway after looking at what I thought I was

going to take ! Especially when on sale and it is a crime not to save money ! :) My husband says we should be rich for all the money I save him !! Ha ! Ha !

So do you use the Lucy Ricardo technique of buying something really expensive, shocking your "Ricky" and getting him to agree to your buying the less expensive item (which is the one you really wanted), just so you'll take back the expensive one? ;)

I have to say that I enjoy shopping the clearance racks at the end of the seasons for great deals. 12 Eurpoean cruise with friends next may. My girlfriend and I have thrown down the challenge to see who will have the most new, lightweight, sun dresses for our next cruise. I hit JC Penneys the other day and bought 5 new ones. $4.99 and $9.99 plus an additional 15% coupon I had. One of them dressy enough for formal night!

Last cruise in March, we shared a room with friends for one night in New Orleans prior to our cruise. My hubby is ready to dress the next morning and turns and says "what do I wear." My response was whatever you like. Then he responds, "well, I am not sure which clothes and which suitcase are mine." I packed for him with all new clothes from the previous year's clearance sales. Our friends are still laughing. But he had all new shorts and shirts for the cruise and then his worn-once clothes when the summer season started after our cruise.

I still wear the same 3 dresses I have had for years. All formal pictures look the same.

I too wear the dress I had for son's wedding. DH said I paid so much for it I better wear it all the time.

Besides, those people on the cruise never saw me before and will never see me again, so it doesn't matter how old the dress is.

Who cares what other people think. If you like it and you think it still looks nice wear it! If you wanted to have pictures with the clothes they like you would take pictures of them!

I LOVE this thread....do we ever NOT need something....I always swear I don't need anything before we go, however dont bring me to a store because I will inevitably find something that's just perfect and no problem ...if DH takes me he says "yes, you should" and if DD takes me and I say I'm not going to get it she says, "Im going to call Dad"....I know how lucky I am...win, win. (Usually get 'stuff' for DH too :)).

I'm a scruffy guy and I confess to being guilty of this more than my wife. I normally hate to waste time shopping for clothes, but fall season before our annual December cruise is when all the Tommy Bahama goes on clearance, so I do hit a few stores. Scoring a crazy good deal on a quality Hawaiian shirt or swimsuit is almost like getting in a bit of cruise time before we board. Makes it feel real...

After shopping I go home and tell the wife "Look how much money I saved us!"' and "Do these trunks make my butt look big?"

Doug

Well unless I discover a cache of older smaller sized clothing at home somewhere I am going to need everything new for our cruise next summer. I lost 15 pounds in the beginning of the year and another 20 post hiatal hernia surgery and still losing ( the nature of my surgery reduced the size if my stomach a little). I just bought a few things recently to tide me over but since I am still losing I don't want to invest much on clothes right now. Just need pants that don't fall off. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Well unless I discover a cache of older smaller sized clothing at home somewhere I am going to need everything new for our cruise next summer. I lost 15 pounds in the beginning of the year and another 20 post hiatal hernia surgery and still losing ( the nature of my surgery reduced the size if my stomach a little). I just bought a few things recently to tide me over but since I am still losing I don't want to invest much on clothes right now. Just need pants that don't fall off. LOL.

That is a perfectly good reason to shop! Congratulations!:D

That's awesome!! I too am losing, to date 12 lbs lost & losing approximately 4-5 lbs a week. We don't cruise until end of Feb to western caribbean. But....don't know where I will find cruise weather clothes in Jan, even in the AZ desert.

That's awesome!! I too am losing, to date 12 lbs lost & losing approximately 4-5 lbs a week. We don't cruise until end of Feb to western caribbean. But....don't know where I will find cruise weather clothes in Jan, even in the AZ desert.

Try EBay. I used to sell bridal gowns there. Just check your measurements ( have someone else take them) and check it against the measurements in the listing.

Congrats on your loss.

I'm a scruffy guy and I confess to being guilty of this more than my wife. I normally hate to waste time shopping for clothes, but fall season before our annual December cruise is when all the Tommy Bahama goes on clearance, so I do hit a few stores. Scoring a crazy good deal on a quality Hawaiian shirt or swimsuit is almost like getting in a bit of cruise time before we board. Makes it feel real...

After shopping I go home and tell the wife "Look how much money I saved us!"' and "Do these trunks make my butt look big?"

Doug

I gotta meet you some day ... you sound like a guy with a great sense of humor. I hope your wife is quick to point out that the money you saved should be put to good use -- HER shopping spree!

Try EBay. I used to sell bridal gowns there. Just check your measurements ( have someone else take them) and check it against the measurements in the listing.

Congrats on your loss.

Thanks! I will definitely check that out.

Archived