Why do people purchase their own e-cards?

SportsMomof4

yup, started buying $50 Cruise cash every month a couple of months ago.

$50 more in expenditure will have very little impact on your monthly budget but $500 at the end of your cruise may :D

To each his/her own, but I don't understand this line of mental gymnastics?

$500 owed is still $500. Wouldn't it be easier to just budget the money and set it aside for your final bill?:confused:

$500 owed is still $500. Wouldn't it be easier to just budget the money and set it aside for your final bill?:confused:

Some people aren't that disciplined, you may say put it away and set it aside, but something always comes up in life, like the fridge breaks down, car repairs, etc. if it's already on an e-card that is guaranteed to go towards a nice cruise vacation and being able to let your hair down a bit ;)

In a way it's true, the amount is the same. But at check out time, it's easier to have a zero bill than to fork over the lump sum at once. It kind of fools the brain ;)

I am buying a little every payday. I use my debit card....not credit card. I would not use my debit card for our sail and sign account so it greatly reduces what bill I come home with. Plus we try not to go over what we pre-paid. This seems to work for us...everyone is different. No benefit other than pyschological. :D

If I stuck $500 in my savings account, I'd earn maybe 3 cents in interest. It's a negligible amount and not worth considering. I think it's smart for some cruisers to purchase the cruise cash certificates as the money for them is now out of sight and out of mind.

For me, our sign and sail bill is always under $100 (if you don't count the stuff we bought in the jewelry shop that one time), so we don't need to worry about a large payment due after the cruise.

What ever works for you is great and I applaud you.

I would never think of disrespecting someone for doing something that works for them but may not work for me.

It certainly is for us ... but seems different people like to do this different ways. :)

LuLu

~~~~

In a sense, people who purchase e-cards, or prepay on an account, are budgeting and setting aside money for their cruise - they are just applying the money directly instead of in an account or under their mattress.

So they don't earn 1.25% to 3% interest on a few hundred dollars for a few months - big whoop. The only real drawback is the cash may not be available to them in case of an emergency, but then that is offset by the peace of mind they have knowing they can enjoy I their vacation without having a bill over their head when they get off the ship.

Others like to hang on to their cash and squeeze every last penny they can out of it. They feel more secure knowing they have it whenever they want or need it. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

So long as no one is pilfering out of someone else's moneybags, who cares?

Archived