Just back from Crystal Serenity

Just back from 9 night Italian Dreams cruise on the Crystal Serenity, and had a wonderful time. The ship was beautiful and the updates to the lido will only make her better. Cabin was small, but well laid out and the bathroom spacious. Food was very good most nights and Prego was a stand out. Sadly it was crazy busy and I never cleared the wailist for an additional visit.

The ship was full, but really only noticed at dinner and around the lido. The cruise was very port intensive and I did wish there was another sea day towards the end of the cruise.

The staff was what really impressed me, especially the guys around the Trident. What wonderful crew

I did miss open seating dining, sailing solo, it was tough to join a table when asked by others you may have met at pre-diner drinks or while on shore. The dining room was very full and somewhat noisy. I often ate alone as even with a larger table most did not show up or ate elsewhere.

Overall I look forward to returing to the Serenity

Just back from 9 night Italian Dreams cruise on the Crystal Serenity, and had a wonderful time. The ship was beautiful and the updates to the lido will only make her better. Cabin was small, but well laid out and the bathroom spacious. Food was very good most nights and Prego was a stand out. Sadly it was crazy busy and I never cleared the wailist for an additional visit.

The ship was full, but really only noticed at dinner and around the lido. The cruise was very port intensive and I did wish there was another sea day towards the end of the cruise.

The staff was what really impressed me, especially the guys around the Trident. What wonderful crew

I did miss open seating dining, sailing solo, it was tough to join a table when asked by others you may have met at pre-diner drinks or while on shore. The dining room was very full and somewhat noisy. I often ate alone as even with a larger table most did not show up or ate elsewhere.

Overall I look forward to returing to the Serenity

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the cruise.

And as you said, the updates planned for the Lido should add to the overall Lido Deck.

Keith

Dear Avalon1025,

I'm sorry that some nights you ended up dining alone at a large table. It's too bad that your fellow tablemates didn't tell you or the waitstaff that they were dining elsewhere. Usually, that's the protocol. That way nobody feels like a gooseberry sitting alone, and the headwaiter would have been able to seat you at another table with other, possible more considerate, guests.

But really pleased you enjoyed the cruise despite those blips.

Ricki

Edited by ricki

avalon1025, I so remember how you didn't like that cruise from many years ago which is why I am so happy you tried Crystal again and this time it worked and I am glad you gave Crystal another try.

Good for you for booking this cruise and trying Crystal again.

Keith

Wait until you go back on Serenity a year later and find that the guys from Trident still remember you, your names, and are still bringing your beverages to you before you get a chance to sit down. They are truly amazing.

Wait until you go back on Serenity a year later and find that the guys from Trident still remember you, your names, and are still bringing your beverages to you before you get a chance to sit down. They are truly amazing.

Can't wait to take our first on Serenity with 3331 and 3332 B2B!!

We sailed on Symphony back in 2010 Christmas and Jonathan on Lido remembered my daughter after TEN YEARS!!

It's really all about the boat and the crew. I can see old buildings pretty much anywhere!

My only feedback on this cruise:

Turn down didn't feel special. I dont need a chocolate, but a note or tomorrows weather would be a nice touch. A bottle of water on the nightstand? Or even my mail on my bed rather than crushed into a full mail slot. Maybe my cabin attendant was just bad ( I did have to ask her repeatedly for more shampoo and cleanser, which should have been obvious from the empty bottle in the trash).

We didnt have, or I missed any special buffets or deck parties. Does Crystal no longer do a special buffet?

Not game changers, but those are the things people remember, I sure do from my seabourn or silversea sailings. Perhaps on a sailing with more sea days....

Also the snippy shorex lady with the dark hair, I received someone elses shorex tickets on the first day and she promptly told me I gave her the wrong cabin (uh, these were ordered on-line), I thought "Thanks, we will get you the right tickets" would have been more of an appropriate response ....maybe she was just having a bad day. The other shorex woman from the UK was lovely and the only one I would deal with going forward

My only feedback on this cruise:

Turn down didn't feel special. I dont need a chocolate, but a note or tomorrows weather would be a nice touch. A bottle of water on the nightstand? Or even my mail on my bed rather than crushed into a full mail slot. Maybe my cabin attendant was just bad ( I did have to ask her repeatedly for more shampoo and cleanser, which should have been obvious from the empty bottle in the trash).

We didnt have, or I missed any special buffets or deck parties. Does Crystal no longer do a special buffet?

It was too bad your tablemates were so inconsiderate. We've had that happen, too, and it makes you wonder - was it something I said?

Re turndown - tomorrow's weather is right at the top of the next day's Reflections, which should have been on your table when you returned from your evening. Water on the nightstand? It stays cold in your refrigerator! I never saw a mail slot that wasn't delivered with the Reflections. And there's no excuse for not replenishing the shampoo. Sounds like to didn't have the sharpest knife in the drawer for a stewardess and that's too bad. On our last Serenity cruise (in August) we had a new first contract stewardess who missed several things too. It's all about training.

Hi Sue, you are quite right, I forgot about the special deck buffets Crystal used to put on. They did add something special. The chocolates on the pillow I always thought was a waste of money as most people used to save them up and take them home and give them to the grandchildren. David.

avalon1025, on many cruises there are still the themed buffets but they are offered in the Lido Cafe as opposed to the the separate area that you remember from your last Crystal Cruise. This was on the Symphony right after the time the lido deck was redone as there was no longer room where it used to be held. The Serenity buffets were also moved to the Lido Cafe sometime last year in preparation of the dry dock when its Lido Cafe is being redone. The other benefit to this relates to food safety which is to say rather than putting all of the food out at once in areas that at times could get warmer than desired the food is brought out only when it needs to be refilled and can be kept in the Lido Cafe galley. When they do these themed buffets most are not highlighted in Reflections but are mentioned in the back of reflections under Lido Cafe with a few having a small writeup in Reflections.

The Grand Gala Buffet is no longer offered on all cruises. It is offered I believe on cruises with four sea days or more.

The mail should have been brought into your room as part of the turndown and not left on your door and that should include the daily reflections that is delivered in the evening with the following days information.

Keith

Please no chocolate on my pillow.

After a wine and drink filled night on the Regent Mariner,I fell asleep real fast. When I got up in the morning I smelled chocolate. When I saw my pillow with two melted candy mints covering half the pillow I knew there was a problem. Then I looked in the mirror and my right cheek was covered in chocolate. So please no mints on my pillow...

I just came back from this cruise as well and I had a very different experience. My mail was always delivered to my room and our stewardess was always asking us if there was something we needed. She even brought in more fruit at turn down.

This was my first experience with Crystal or any cruise line for that matter, but I thought the service and the crew were amazing. I am a fan for life. :)

I get the feeling they stick the 1st contract/new to housekeeping stateroom housekeepers with those of us in the E category staterooms, and assign the more experienced housekeepers to passengers in the higher fare staterooms, maybe fair, but still I get tired of having to remind the housekeeper to restock this or that etc. I have had inconsistent cleaning times as well...Not to mention the attitude of several was not IMHO what it should be.

We had the most wonderful cruise on Crystal.

Excellent food in the dining room, wonderful service, and beautiful ship. We especially liked the bathtub which we did not expect. Our stewardess was great as well. We were somewhat disappointed in Prego and Silk Road (slow service and Mediocre sushi, but delicious black cod), so much so that we cancelled our second reservations in both. The main dining room we found to have uniformly excellent food. Food taste, of course, is very subjective. We asked for the complementary wine list the first night and had different wines all the time - I am not sure that it is common knowledge that this is a possibility. Open seating worked well for us and we landed up in the same area with the same waiter most of the time.

Excursions were varied, well planned and organized. We were very impressed by the Crystal staff out on the pier at disembarkation who helped us to contact and communicate with our PRIVATE transfer that was late.

Cabin 8064, well located, but it had the gangway storage in front, so somewhat obstructed, but ok. I did not expect that.

We are booking a cruise for July 2015 - has anyone been in cabin 8029? Just want to confirm that it is not obstructed.

Judy

Excellent food in the dining room, wonderful service, and beautiful ship. We especially liked the bathtub which we did not expect. Our stewardess was great as well. We were somewhat disappointed in Prego and Silk Road (slow service and Mediocre sushi, but delicious black cod), so much so that we cancelled our second reservations in both. The main dining room we found to have uniformly excellent food. Food taste, of course, is very subjective. We asked for the complementary wine list the first night and had different wines all the time - I am not sure that it is common knowledge that this is a possibility. Open seating worked well for us and we landed up in the same area with the same waiter most of the time.

Excursions were varied, well planned and organized. We were very impressed by the Crystal staff out on the pier at disembarkation who helped us to contact and communicate with our PRIVATE transfer that was late.

Cabin 8064, well located, but it had the gangway storage in front, so somewhat obstructed, but ok. I did not expect that.

We are booking a cruise for July 2015 - has anyone been in cabin 8029? Just want to confirm that it is not obstructed.

Judy

Judy,

So glad your first Crystal cruise was wonderful!!!

Nancy

Judy

Hi Judy, I am glad that you enjoyed your Crystal Cruise.

8029 will not be a problem. There will be no obstructions so you will be fine.

There are about 8 cabins on deck eight with the partial obstructions and one of them was the one you had on that cruise.

Glad that you enjoyed the Crystal Dining Room.

Keith

I get the feeling they stick the 1st contract/new to housekeeping stateroom housekeepers with those of us in the E category staterooms, and assign the more experienced housekeepers to passengers in the higher fare staterooms, maybe fair, but still I get tired of having to remind the housekeeper to restock this or that etc. I have had inconsistent cleaning times as well...Not to mention the attitude of several was not IMHO what it should be.

In my 12 Crystal cruises (13 segments) I've been in the lowest level cabin 9 times and have had good to excellent stewardesses. Maybe I've been "lucky". My last stewardess on the Serenity, C cabin, was far superior to the stewardess and her assistant in a PH, Deck 11.

Patty

In my 12 Crystal cruises (13 segments) I've been in the lowest level cabin 9 times and have had good to excellent stewardesses. Maybe I've been "lucky". My last stewardess on the Serenity, C cabin, was far superior to the stewardess and her assistant in a PH, Deck 11.

Patty

..But if I had to choose Crystal based on housekeeping, I would not!. I have to say I had better housekeeping and turndown service on my 1 NCL cruise and my 1 Carnival cruise -consistent cleaning times and not having to oversee what is being replenished is important to me. Plus I hate to be in the room when they are cleaning.

Edited by haikou

I was always under the same impression... I started with only category E rooms though for my first several Crystal cruises, and lately have been in higher grade rooms and have come to the conclusion that my assumption may have been wrong. On my last cruise I was in a category A room and the stewardess on was on her first solo cruise (after being an assistant stewardess where they start training).

To the general discussion, I've never had a stewardess not replenish items or not bring in the mail for turndown, but the nature of each one and their attention to detail certainly does vary.

I would definitely agree that the "greening" of the turndown service has certainly left it feeling less special, and this goes back a lot further than just the turndown chocolate debacle. I still miss the days when the stewardess used to turn to that day's page in the TV schedule book printed for the whole cruise. I commend Crystal on making the whole turndown service zero-landfill and all, but I have to agree that it's a whole lot less memorable this way.

Vince

Thanks, Keith, for the info on 8029. Is there a site to get the cabin information from? I have really detailed info on Celebrity cruise cabins from members on Cruise Critic who have made extensive charts for the Solstice class, and there are "best and Worst " cabin posts.

Anything similar for Crystal?

Judy

PS I forgot to mention that I LOVE the FREE self service laundry - I think that is just terrific!!

Edited by hoenichj
Thanks, Keith, for the info on 8029. Is there a site to get the cabin information from? I have really detailed info on Celebrity cruise cabins from members on Cruise Critic who have made extensive charts for the Solstice class, and there are "best and Worst " cabin posts.

Judy

PS I forgot to mention that I LOVE the FREE self service laundry - I think that is just terrific!!

Roy (rafinmd) has a posting of obstructed cabins on Symphony you may wish to check out.

http://costalexploration.blogspot.com

Other than what you can see on the deck plans (larger balconies forward and aft for example) I think the staterooms are about the same.

Caryll

Judy

Judy, I do use the deck plans for the Serenity. Unlike the Symphony Promenade deck where Roy has is photos of the cabins on the Promenade Deck on the Serenity there are very few cabins that are obstructed and they are partially obstructed and are just a small section on deck 7 and 8. They are shown on the deck plans.

You can see them by looking at them hard copy or on line.

For on line click here.

http://www.crystalcruises.com/DeckPlans.aspx?SID=6

Then click on the deck you want.

The partial obstruction relates to the area that holds the gangways when not in use.

Keith