Passport Rules Still Confusing

You don't need a Passport to get back, however it makes it a lot easier.

Yes you will. However, in case of emergency, the nearest US Embassy or Consulate will be able to produce a passport to enable travel home.

You don't need a Passport to get back, however it makes it a lot easier.

I can tell you that as a retired pilot, for a major airline, you will not be allowed to board an aircraft in a foreign country without a valid passport (and visa if required) on a flight to the US.

Taking our 6YO on her first cruise. (Freedom to W Caribbean) Passport or does it matter for her?

It matters for her just as much as for you. In both cases, a passport is recommended, but not required. The minimum ID is a certified birth certificate (plus some form of photo ID for adults).

16 or older. DS had to buy a youth passport, and he is 15.

"Youth" passport :confused: I didn't know there were any differences for passports regarding age...Info please..we are going to be getting a passport for our grandchild's (17 mos. old) first cruise for May 2014 to Alaska.

Passports are NOT required if you are taking a cruise that departs and returns to the same port in the United States. All you would need is your official copy of a birth cirtificate or certified copy and a state issued ID card.

IE you book Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean out of Port Canaveral. The ship returns to Port Canaveral after 7 days so you would not need a passport for that cruise.

Passports are a safe route in case something happens and you have to leave the ship for whatever reason and fly back home.

Under the age of 15 passports are only valid for 5 years (and the price isn't much lower:eek:) because of how fast kids change visually. Before my kids were 15 I got them a government issued photo ID and used their birth certificates. Once they were older than 15 I had them get passports.

Taking our 6YO on her first cruise. (Freedom to W Caribbean) Passport or does it matter for her?
What part of the rules are confusing you? They seen fairly straightforward to me. At a minimum, your 6yo needs a qualifying b/c, and you need that plus. Government issued photo ID. Most people, and the cruise line, would recommend that you all get passports in case something happens, but that's not required to take the cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Under the age of 15 passports are only valid for 5 years (and the price isn't much lower:eek:) because of how fast kids change visually. Before my kids were 15 I got them a government issued photo ID and used their birth certificates. Once they were older than 15 I had them get passports.

They will accept a school ID card.

Tucker in Texas

I didn't feel comfortable with just a birth certificate for my 2 year olds so we opted for passport cards. I don't know when they will travel out of the country after this cruise. If we knew they would be traveling more we would have gotten passports. At least with the passport cards the US department of state has critical information on file for them should there be a need for it.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

Archived