Cruise Critic Community
Buckeyefan1985

What if 1 person in cabin cancels after final payment?

There will be 3 adults booked in a js cabin. Our final payment is due this weekend. Unfortunately 1 of the people traveling with me just found out that their mother has been diagnosed with a major illness. So far they are not sure of the treatment plan. We will all be purchasing travel insurance (not from RCCL, but through Costco) which covers pre-existing conditions. So my question is what happens to the cost of the cabin if one person has to cancel after the final payment is made? Will RCCL make the 2 of us traveling pay more to make up for the 1 that had to cancel? As always, thanks in advance.

Assuming this person's fare will be paid by insurance the other two will owe nothing further.

Nope! Even if insurance doesn't cover it, there's no refund due, so the other 2 sail as if nothing happened.

There will be 3 adults booked in a js cabin. Our final payment is due this weekend. Unfortunately 1 of the people traveling with me just found out that their mother has been diagnosed with a major illness. So far they are not sure of the treatment plan. We will all be purchasing travel insurance (not from RCCL, but through Costco) which covers pre-existing conditions. So my question is what happens to the cost of the cabin if one person has to cancel after the final payment is made? Will RCCL make the 2 of us traveling pay more to make up for the 1 that had to cancel? As always, thanks in advance.

Be careful with the Travel insurance I find it hard to believe the insurance would cover the pre-existing conditions of someone not traveling with you buying insurance at this late date

Be careful with the Travel insurance I find it hard to believe the insurance would cover the pre-existing conditions of someone not traveling with you buying insurance at this late date

I have a friend that had to cancel and the insurance did not pay because of a pre-existing condition. I think you have to pay for the insurance at the time of booking to cover anything like this. Better check into this. We will pay for our insurance ahead of time from now on, just to be safe. Even then, it might be iffy. :rolleyes:

Gwen :)

Buckeyefan1985 - What Insurer/policy are you purchasing?

I'm with cruzinlady above. Normally CSA Insurance would be the only Insurance available up to final Payment that covers pre-existing conditions.

Some Policies include a Supplement to cover any added cabin cost to remaining passengers dut to cancellation of another cabin mate.

The cancellation penalty immediately after Final Payment should be loss of deposit? Which was twice the normal depopsit for suites?

ken

Edited by Ken076

The insurance we are purchasing is through Costco. They don't require travelers to purchase the insurance until the final payment. In fact, they suggest not purchasing it until you make the final payment. All travel insurance is not the same. There are many insurance companies that don't cover pre-existing conditions. At this time we don't know if the 3rd person will need to cancel. I'm simply trying to prepare myself for the possibility. Why shouldn't the 3rd person continue with their travel plans if they simply don't know what the future holds?

The insurance we are purchasing is through Costco. They don't require travelers to purchase the insurance until the final payment. In fact, they suggest not purchasing it until you make the final payment. All travel insurance is not the same. There are many insurance companies that don't cover pre-existing conditions. At this time we don't know if the 3rd person will need to cancel. I'm simply trying to prepare myself for the possibility. Why shouldn't the 3rd person continue with their travel plans if they simply don't know what the future holds?

Travel Insurance Policies can all be purchased up to and beyond Final Payment, but most don't include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" unless the Policy is purchased 14-21 days after cruise deposit. It would be helpful to know the specific Insurer and the Policy so as to confirm "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions". [ I'm not even sure that the pre-existiing clause applies to the illness of a relative for whom you are canceling.] Also to check for any so-called "Supplement" that would cover costs due to cancellation of a cabin mate.

ken

Edited by Ken076

I checked a copy of the That Trip Insurance (which is interestingly BerkleyCare).

I don't like that It indicates that they may not let you purchase a policy more than 7 days after initial booking date.

I don't like that It indicates that the event which necessitated the trip cancellation must occur AFTER your effective date...of coverage.

I like that it indicates the additional costs You may incur as a result of a change in the per-person occupancy rate of prepaid travel arrangements if a Traveling Companion cancels his/her Trip for a covered reason and You do not cancel. But I worry that the event that caused the cabin mate's cancellation occurred before the date of coverage.

ken

Edited by Ken076

The insurance is from Travel Guard. The only way to get this particular insurance is to purchase a cruise through Costco travel. Why would Costco travel tell their members to wait until after the final payment is made to purchase the insurance? If you are a Costco member, then you would agree that would be contrary to how Costco treats their members. I have purchased plenty of travel insurance that had to be purchased right away or your pre-existing conditions weren't covered.

Per my travel insurance company(not Travel Guard), pre-existing condition only applies to the traveler. Major illness or death of a family member is covered separately.

I just called Travel Guard. Pre-existing conditions are covered. Payment for the insurance needs to be made within 24 hours of making the final payment. Illness/injury to the traveler or family member, including those not actually traveling are covered under this policy. A note from the doctor stating why the person could not travel along with a claim form starts the process. Additional fees, etc incurred by the others in the traveling party would also be reimbursed under this policy. Nice benefits for being a Costco member and purchasing a cruise through their travel department.

I would get a full copy of exact policy. Sound too generous to me. They can tell you anything on phone.

Edited by zoncom

I would get a full copy of exact policy. Sound too generous to me. They can tell you anything on phone.

Buckeye is correct. This is all specified in the Policy. When purchased via that Big Box Store, the TravelGuard policy includes Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions when purchased up to Final Payment AND will cover any added cabin cost due to covered cancellation of a cabin mate (this normally applies to imposed Single Supplement when 2nd of 2 PAX in a cabin cancels).

If there are two passenger Junior Suites, the Cruiselines normally reserves the right to move pax in an underbooked cabin to equivalent cabin of appropriate capacity, if they need the larger capacity cabin.

ken

Edited by Ken076

Buckeye is correct. This is all specified in the Policy. When purchased via that Big Box Store, the TravelGuard policy includes Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions when purchased up to Final Payment AND will cover any added cabin cost due to covered cancellation of a cabin mate (this normally applies to imposed Single Supplement when 2nd of 2 PAX in a cabin cancels).

If there are two passenger Junior Suites, the Cruiselines normally reserves the right to move pax in an underbooked cabin to equivalent cabin of appropriate capacity, if they need the larger capacity cabin.

ken

Thanks Ken for the backup.

Even it is covered, the actual cost/refund may not be what you have figured.

For example. Passenger 1 & 2 might be $900 each. Passenger 3 is $400. For a total of $2200. You might think each person pays one third and that is how YOU split it up, which makes sense to YOU.

The insurance company may use just the charge for the 3rd passenger. Hard to say what will happen.